Whether you’re fulfilling your role-playing fantasies as a drunken dwarf or chopping down the first tree in a suburban stand to make way for the new mini-mall, you need a special axe. Ox-head, or as it’s known in Germany, Ochsenkopf, plates its double-bit felling axe in either silver or gold for all your extra-curricular activities.

The 2.2 lb. double-bit head has two 5″ wide cutting edges and is attached to a 35″ hickory handle. Because of its fine tapered edges, normally you’d use an axe like this for felling or limbing trees, not for splitting or levering.

An unplated version of this fine axe would normally run you $130, but if you must have the gold-plated axe you’ll drop an extra $190 ($320 total). If gold is a little too ostentatious for you or you’re hunting werewolves, the silver plated axe runs $300. Bear in mind this is a special-order item and you need to order it at least eight weeks in advance of your event.

Golden Axe [Highland Woodworking]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Tool Pr0n: Golden Axe

1. Liberty says:

A must for all self respecting Vikings that travel on to Valhalla !

2. Chuck says:

My father in law actually got one of these as recognition for being a firehouse subs franchisee of the year. It is awesome to behold. Nobody gets to actually touch it, but it is nice to look at from an arm’s length away…

3. Cameron Watt says:

A retirement gift for a fireman, logger, or assault pioneer?

I remember being on a base years ago and seeing a gold painted axe mounted on the wall but I can’t remember what was inscribed; this would have looked much sharper.

4. Marco says:

Goes nicely with my blessed Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum with silver holy bullets. :D
    I believe it’s just for display or as a gift or recognition of some kind, as I doubt anybody would really use a gold plated axe.
    I have actually seen the sword that the Duke of Milan carried in battle. One usually associates flashy bejewelled hilts and engraved blades with such a figure, but it was a remarkably plain and simple (and deadly-looking) sword, with iron fittings, a leather grip and a plain steel blade. A tool for work.
    I guess in the end flashy stuff stays on a wall looking good, while the ugly, plain steel siblings do the real job. ;)

5. Marco says:

PS: it also goes nicely with the sledge hammer seen a couple of posts ago for a post-cataclismic techno-barbarian look :D

6. Squidwelder says:

It also provides +1 to Badassery.

7. A.Crush says:

I think I’d just buy one locally and have the head chrome plated for a lot less. Might void the lifetime warranty, though.