We’ve loved the explosion of Fein-style oscillating multi-tool knockoffs in the last few years, and it’s great to know that Dremel, Bosch, Craftsman, Ridgid — and lots of others — now produce models, each with a slightly different feature set and price. But it’s made things a bit confusing when it comes to accessories. Do you need to buy Dremel accessories for your Dremel multi-tool? In short: No. With some limitations.

Most manufacturers now offer an adapter of some sort to allow you to mix and match accessories from various manufacturers with your oscillating multi-tool. Dremel, for example, makes a universal adapter that allows you to use all their Multi-Max accessories (except the flexible extension) with other tools. We know that Ridgid offers one, too, though it’s a bit difficult to find via Home Depot’s search. But just look in the accessory section and you’ll find it.

Bottom line: Make sure you either already own the adapter or snag one from the accessory wall, but don’t worry about buying all the same color accessories. Most big box stores aren’t going to carry every model from every brand anyway.

10 Responses to Reader Question: Brand-Name Accessories For Oscillating Multi-Tools?

1. Jerry says:

Of course, it has to be asked – what about the HF version? Do you have to use HF accessories? Is there an adaptor?
    Beyond that, has anyone used one of the HF versions for more than just playing around with it? What was your take on it?

2. Rob says:

I bought the HF version with a coupon for about $30. I used it for 5 minutes cutting drywall for my kitchen demolition and it died. I took it back to the store the next day and they gave me another one. I used the hell out of the 2nd one for the rest of the demo. I wore out one circular cutter blade and had to buy a another. The 2nd one is still running strong. At this point, I got my money’s worth out of it, so if this one dies on me I won’t sweat it. The HF store is not far from me, so going back to exchange a tool because of erratic quality control isn’t a big deal. If it’s a big deal for you, then I’d recommend get a better quality version made by somebody else so you don’t have to waste time if the HF one turned out to be a lemon.

3. fred says:

We’ve been using Fein multimasters and Fein vacuums for years – and can’t seem to wear them out. With the older Multimasters the original blades were just held in place by friction – via a washer under the head of a socket screw through a round center hole. This sometime resulted in the blade slipping around. Fein intoruced a new mounting system with the now familiar looking multi-lobed center hole. They sold an adapter to allow older multimasters to mount newer blades – but since the adapter is not integral with the tool – slippage is still an issue. Fein blades – while of good quality – have perhaps even better (dearer) prices. We have yet to try any of the Bosch or other blades on our older multimasters – and would be interested in anyone’s experience in doing this with a 10 year old tool.

4. Rick says:

That Ridgid JobMax is pretty kick arse. I love the variable speed trigger and the 12v Li-Ion. It’s what I’m asking my wife to get me for Christmas.

5. rob says:

I have the bosch cordless and it works great I have used dremal fein and bosch and king blades on it in the last year I have owned it it lead me to buy a ps41-2 12v impact driver do to the battery choice

but yeah the little bosch one has variable speed battery level indicator and comes with the adapter to use most other brands blades it has been great

6. Shawn says:

I bought one of the early Bosch cordless models and hated it – the battery didn’t last long enough. I think they’ve since improved it, but my first experience was so bad that it was hard to go back.

Ironic, since I love my other Bosch tools – esp the PS40.

7. MattC says:

I purchased the variable speed HF version. I used to to trim windows, wooden fences, and to sand. It did every task without a hiccup. The only thing I do after every use if blow it out with compressed air. Obviously Fein makes a superior oscillating tool, but the HF tool is fine for my needs.

8. Try anything says:

I have an old model Fein pneumatic multitool. The Fein adapter works well with both Fein and Harbor Freight accessories. So does a split washer.

9. jeff says:

I know Bosch has and adapter. Most sites selling accessories have a good conversion guide.

10. Kim Mello says:

Also check out the aftermarket blades that work with Fein Bosch and Dremel that is made by Liberate Blades LLC, blades can be purchased direct on their website at http://www.liberateblades.com. They are a great value with OEm performance.