At first glance, the BladeRunner seems to be a corporatized version of mounting a jigsaw upside-down in a table. Heck, even the second and third glances still give that impression.

The product video on the website further tarnishes the image with its cheesy infomercial feel, especially the part with the BladeRunner doing the jobs of at least five other tools that would normally cost you $500 or more to buy. The fact you can pay for it in four easy payments of $40 doesn’t help the image of an “As Seen On TV” product. Not to disappoint, they even offer to throw in the wall mount, a $40 value, absolutely free.

So why am I even bothering to post the product?  Maybe it’s the fact they named it after an all-time great SciFi movie, or maybe it’s the fact that Rockwell has been putting out some pretty decent-looking products lately. I’ve picked up their cordless tools in Menards and the build quality seems to be on par with the big boys like Bosch and Milwaukee, although I do admit I haven’t actually tested one of their products. Anyway, I figured I’d give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think BladeRunner has some interesting features. The control arm is mounted to the back and right of the table, allowing you to rip and crosscut materials. The safety guard covers the blade and provides dust collection, and a shoe on the control arm can be set to hold down the workpiece.

I can see where the optional wall mounting bracket would be handy. One, the saw doesn’t take up precious bench space, and two, you can mount it at your optimal work height rather than being stuck bending over or reaching too high. Other accessories include a circle cutter and a picture frame cutter.

The BladeRunner uses standard T-shank jigsaw blades, so when Rockwell claims it can cut wood, plastic, aluminum, ceramic, or mild steel, that’s no surprise, except maybe ceramic — I didn’t realize you could buy jigsaw blades to cut that.

For $160 plus shipping and handling, you can buy the Bladerunner with the wall mount. We’ll have to watch and wait to see if this is a truly useful tool, or just some misguided marketing project aimed at the late night infomercial crowd.

BladeRunner [Corporate Site]
Blade Runner [Rockler]

Tagged with:

60 Responses to Rockwell BladeRunner

1. ToolGuyd says:

I had my eye on buying one of these, but the cut capacity is too small for my purposes. Steel is limited to 1/8″ cuts, and aluminum 3/8″.

2. Gary says:

Interesting idea, but I wonder if this will be one of those tools that tries to do a number of things, but doesn’t do any of them well.

3. george says:

wow, thats cool. if it works that would be exactly what i need. i’ll watch for it on craigs list.

4. Justin says:

About 6 months from now: One single payment of $40

This thing cannot compete against the lowcost HF versions of the tools that it claims to replace. It will drop to $120 by Christmas, and be $80 by March.

5. Dave P. says:

You can cut ceramic (tile) with a tungsten carbide grit blade. Same stuff they make those hacksaw rod-blades with.

6. rg says:

I don’t see what this can do, that an inexpensive 9″ bench-top bandsaw won’t, for about the same price, or less?

Also, with the bandsaw, at least your cuts will be square, unlike a flexing jigsaw blade.

7. Jim says:

@rg,

“I don’t see what this can do, that an inexpensive 9″ bench-top bandsaw won’t”

Inside cuts. And it has a greater variable speed range than most bandsaws allowing it to cut wood and metal. Blades are less expensive, more widely available and easier and faster to change. Also, I do not know how practical it would be to cut ceramic tile with a 9″ bandsaw.

BTW, I am not a fan of this tool, just pointing out the differences compared to a bandsaw.

Jim

8. Bor says:

I’m wondering about flexing too. Does the safety/control arm provide support for the blade? I rarely use my jigsaw because I hate the way the blade deflects and causes angled cuts in thicker material.

9. Lewis Ford says:

I have a problem with buying blades for a product that are only sold by that company. What if (and I hope it doesn’t happen) Rockwell goes out of business,then you will have a paper weight. However I have their Rockwell Jawhorse And I love it. So maybe this product is also a good quality product

10. Brandon R. says:

@Lewis Ford. “uses standard T-shank jigsaw blades”. You can buy them anywhere.

11. S Hewett says:

Lots of opinions, would like to hear from a few that have purchased or used the Bladerunner

12. howard blair says:

cannot see where this tool can make cut within itself and go back out same cut

13. k collier says:

It works great! It does everything the company says it will do. And yes, It does save time, space and money.
    Just because a product is featured on an info-mercial doesn’t make it cheap. Nor does it automatically mean the sellers on the infomercial is building it up just to sell it.
    It’s very easy to use, so alot of you wanna be’s out there it would be perfect for you.
    Good Job Rockewell!

14. Carl Hendrix says:

I have a question. How wide of a cut can you make?6inches,7inches???Longer??? Wider??? Nothing Ive seen tells how wide of a cut you can make. This tool looks just exactly like what I want provided it can cut wide enough. Can you take the arm off to make the wide cuts????? How about the additional information guys!!!!!!

15. @Carl Hendrix:

I didn’t review the product!!!!! I have the same information that’s available to you…… Seriously more punctuation is not going to motivate me to do research for you,,,,,,

But, I’ll share an obvious observation. It looks like there’s two bolts that hold the arm onto the table. Take those out and the arm probably comes off.

16. Ben Johnson says:

Hey Ben Johnson, Ive been in construction for over 40 years. Ive used alot of different types of tools. Power tools, hand tools, and the list gos on. One thing ive learned is if you have a question, ask it! Dont guess! Accidents happen by not knowing. But ill share an obvious observation with you, maybe you guess a lot at things, but I would rather know for sure.

17. @Carl Hendrix: (at least I think your the same guy)

I will gladly answer people’s questions if they ask them nicely. The problem is you asked it like a impetuous, demanding teenager, so I wasn’t going to waste my time researching. I gave you the answer your question deserved.

That said I do agree with you that if you have a question you should ask it or figure it yourself, but you are being a little glib about implying that all unknowns are equally dangerous. There’s a place for guessing, if we didn’t do it sometimes we’d be paralyzed by inaction. That’s where our experiences comes in handy. You can’t tell me that you haven’t used your 40 years of experience to make an educated guess once in a while.

I can sympathize with your frustration. I have reread the several reviews I’ve found around the Internet and not one of them states what the maximum cut width, a pretty important piece of information for somebody looking to buy this tool. Unfortunately the BladeRunner site seems to be down.

I’ve seen the BladeRunner at Menards, so next time I’m there I’ll take a closer look.

18. angelo colicci says:

I bought one, and for my needs it serves me well. I all depends on what you are using it for. Naturally you cannot build a house with it, but there are many other projects you can use it for.All you have to do is use you imagination. Thank you for your time.

19. Bill Jackson says:

I just bought one and have run into one problem (may be the operator!). The blade seems to load at a slight angle so that I can’t get a straight cut. I have squared everything and it appears to be the blade. I don’t see any adjustment that would allow squaring the blade other than holding it down tightly before releasing the blade lock button. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your help.

• James Allen says:

Bladerunner blade is angled 10 degrees off square. Makes whole machine useless for straight cuts. Customer Service finaly got me to the office mgr. She said she had one in her office and would try to see how to adjust the blade. After time waiting, no reply. Got a robot asking silly questions but no help. The whole thing is a piece of junk now. Otherwise I think it would be really great. I am wondering what I can do. Report this to a consumers group?

• Paul DeLosa says:

If your blade is engaging at 10 degrees or more off make certain you are using a t shank jigsaw blade. Straight blades will load into the blade holder but will result in an off center blade which will not be capable of a straight cut. With a T shank blade inserted the blade loads and is secured properly every time. Also the T shank blades must be 4″ or less in length. Hope this helps!

20. Steve McCullough says:

I’ve owned my Blade Runner for about 6 months and have used it numberous times but not as much as I would have liked to because of the severe cold weather and my shop is my carport.
    I like my B-R. I do woodworking as a hobby, and I think its great for a hobbyist. I do think a professional would depend more on free standing dedicated tools, (ie bandsaw, table saw, tile saw, etc.) but my limits on space reduce the amount of tools my shop can handle. I’ve cut PVC, wood (both hard and soft) and tile, but I haven’t cut metal yet. I think its a good “multitasker” and worth the money. I’ve used the circle cutting attachment, but not the picture frame mitre attachment. The circle cutter worked well.

21. FYI

I checked out the BladeRunner in the store today. As I turned it over to see exactly how the arm attached to the table, I thought that it was much lighter than it looked. You expect a table top tool that size to be 40 to 60lbs. but it felt like 15 to 20lbs.

From what I can tell the arm is removable with the two bolts I mentioned before. Looking underneath the table I could see no additional structure that would stick above the table. See the picture I took here:

With the arm in place you can cut maybe 6″ to 6-1/2″ deep either front to back or side to side.

22. Carl Hendrix says:

Ben Johnson, I just got back from out of town. Just read your comment. Im not that other guy! But I can agree with both of you. I have worked at a nuclear power plant( serveral in fact, all across the country), and one thing is stressed that you never guess at the work. Im serious, in fact they have a (motto if you dont know you dont go!),that is into the rca. They will lock you out. Rca stands for ,Radioligie (cant spell that word, sorry.) control area. Working outside of that ive worked at several power plants across the country and we have to try to think every thing thru. Meaning, I work with heavy loads. Not in lbs. but tons! an average lift for me is around 30-60 tons! Ihave lifted over 120 tons! No room for error.And I have seen some real bad accidents. ZIve been on jobs where good men died. Some had their arm cut off , and a whole lot more. One wreck landed landed in the parking lot.A crane turned over with a 90 ton lift, the boom of the crane landed in the parking lot and took out 11 veicals!So when I have to guess,I have to consider every possible thing that can go wrong. Anyway, dont think to harsh of me for the way I put things sometimes. I just love to try to have as much fun as I can. When I first wrote I had just had a ball of fun with the neighbors.

23. Tom Owen says:

I bought a BladeRunner. Nice design, nice execution. Only one problem, as I noted from other posts, it will not cut straight. With careful feeding at moderate speed, you can reduce the ‘wander” of the blade, but I’m not good enough yet, to always do it. Most of my projects use 1″x12″ white pine. I’ve cut up a lot of it in the last few days trying to get a straight cut. I think it would work fine for thinner stock, a quarter inch or so. But, a 1″ board, not too good.
    As noted, this is an upside down sabre saw. The blade is stiff, but it tends to bend if you feed too fast. You can get straight entry to a cut and have an angle coming out. And, in the middle there may be one or more low or high spots. I got the variation down to about a 1/32″. But that’s the best I’ve managed.
    If they built one based on a 4″ circular saw blade (Yes, there is one). That might solve the problem.
    I’m going to work a little longer and hope I can figure it out. If not, I guess I’m going to have to send it back.

24. Art French, Davidson NC says:

AM an 80 yr old retiree..have large shop work mostly in Tiger Maple, Cherry & Pine…also have metal lathe and mill machine..
    1. The Blade Runner’s 2BB blade guides don’t touch the blades (why did they bother)
    2. The “arc” of the blade guides arm at a 2×4′s thickness will not engage the 2
    BB guides even if they would touch the blades.

Solution: I disassembled the arm & removed the 2 screws holding the 2BB guides (very tricky as there is a very heavy spring in the assembly which will pop out ), and increased the width of the 2 screw holes inboard to allow the blade BB guides to move closer together and touch the blades. This can be done with a rat tailed file.
    Next I added a 1/8 th collar to each BB blade screw which now allows the BB’s to touch the blade at the height of a 2×4,
    I tried to tell the MFG but to no avail. WHILE I WON’T CALL THIS A REAL PRECISION TOOL MY RETROFIT IMPROVES UPON THESE 2 IMPORTANT AREAS
    LIKE MANY PRODUCTS THEY SHOULD SPEND LESS ON LONG TV ADDS AND MORE ON ENGR DESIGN & QUALITY…

• James Potter says:

@Art French, Thanks. This was just the information I was looking for. The gap between the bearings on my newly acquired machine is 0.095″. The blade I have is 0.044″ That allows for a lot of blade deflection that affects the quality of my job. My application at the moment is to cut a 16″ OD, 14″ ID ring of 5/16″ aluminum. The dimensions aren’t critical at the level of 1/16″ but it would be nice if the end of the circular cut met the beginning of the cut at the same radius. I know this is a job for a milling machine but I don’t have one at the moment and I don’t have the $1,000 to farm it out to someone who might get around to it in a few weeks. This is an experiment to see if I can save time and money on a job that doesn’t need super precision.

Is the spring you are talking about the one on the arm of the shoe? It looks like the shoe nees to be out of the way before removing the BB screws and filing the holes. I’m glad the holes aren’t tapped so it’s easy to move them a bit.

• Nathan says:

Art French,

Could you post pics of your modifications?

Thanks!

25. Art French, Davidson NC says:

Since I wrote my review above on Feb 28 th,….I have heard from a Rockwell Service Representative,,,She said . ,” that the design was not to have the BB blade guides touch the blade but to limit deflection” That is fine if the blade doesn’t touch but the BB guides are to far apart that when pressure is applied there is enough deflection to cause less than 90* of squareness.. I “miked” their’s and other
    Mfg.’ s blades and they are between .030 and .050.. I advised them to change their hole punch to provide a .055 gap between the BB guides and that should improve the cut squareness with no, or a few thousands deflection. I reiterated the need to increase the spacers by appx. 1/8 th. She advised that she would pass this information on to the Design Dept. FYI… i now get a perfect 90 * cut on thickness and a perfect square cut on the width. on 15/16 Tiger Maple.

26. Tom Powers says:

Art.
    I just recieved my saw and have experienced the same issue with the sraight cut. It sounds like your fix is worth while. If I didn’t add the 1/8th collar do I have to mess with the spring. Could I just remove the screws that hold the BB and elongate the wholes? I was amazed theat my first cut in 1/2″ pine was so crooked. It was very disappointing.

27. Art French, Davidson NC says:

Tom… I just went into my shop and tried to remove the screws holding the BB blade guides. It probably can be done with a very small metric wrench to the rear and either an offset screw driver, or better, grab the heads with a pointed jaw vise grip wrench. After success with that you may be able to elongate the holes inward with a rat tail if you can get enough clearance over the blade wood hold down. If you elect to disassemble the whole blade guide, on reassemble you have to be sure the small metal spring retainer is in the outer casing slot . The spring is quite stiff but if careful and after a few tries it can be done. I might add, when you replace the screws in the elongated holes , it is probably better to have the 2 BB ‘s not touch the blade but use a feeler gauge and tighten them a few thousands off of the blade. Regards ART FRENCH

28. Art French, Davidson NC says:

Now that I have zero deflection resulting in a square 90* cut on the thickness I am working on improving upon the” left/right wiggle” of the miter gauge. It results in a squareness error of about 3 to 5 degrees on crosscuts.. The table and miter slots are cast Alum. and not machined. The miter gauge slot is an inverted “T” and the miter arm is formed to fit in the “T” , I would guess to hold it down to limit vertical oscillation of the gauge and item being cut. I first cleaned up the slots edges by clamping a fence true to the slot and used a Dremel tool with a hood guide attached and a rotary emery drum and smoothed out the slot. Next, I made a new arm . This could be made from Alum., hard wood or “whiteboaed”. I have the machines to “mill” a new one of Alum. and obtain a precise fit. I now have a true cut and no Miter gauge “wiggle .

29. Steve Carpenter says:

Mr. Art French, it seems like you have a great idea on fixing a what seems to be a big problem. No doubt you have some eperience on working as well as repairing equipment. My question is have you tried the circle cutter? How good is it? As a matter of fact , how good is all of these tools that come with the bladerunner? And finally, what is your opinon on the bladerunner after your adjustments? Im looking for a good tool of this sort but im kind of leary of getting one after reading all of these reviews. You may only be 80 but you seem to have a great mind for troubleshooting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

30. Art French, Davidson NC says:

Steve..My uncle had a large machine shop in West PA . I could cut threads on a lathe at 13 and gears at 16, I was very fortunate. After USN and Penn State, eventually became CEO of Emery Air Freight Corp. Always have been a woodworker, I can fix just about anything mechanical. I work in TIger Maple, Cherry and pine today.
    I don’t have the circle cutter , seldom have a need for it I cut curves on my bandsaw. I use this Blade Runner primarily for inside cuts as an inverted saber saw which is much easier to use on small pieces. I also like it for small end notching cuts.
    Mounted on the wall it is so much easier to just flip it on and go as opposed to getting out my saber saw and clamping down the piece. I really have no need for tile cutting, and maybe some need for metal cutting. A real improvement would be the ability to mount metal files in the “T ” blade slot, I am working on that. While it is not a real precision tool but much more so with my alteration I like it for the uses described above.. At $179 plus it may be a little high priced for some. My son is a builder and neither I nor he can see cutting any 2×4 s or 2x6s on it let alone any long ripping. If you just want an easy ready to go with no set up tool for small cuts , it is worthwhile. Kind Regards Art

31. Thanks Art, I greatly appreciate your comments. Being recenty retired, my wife has a “honey do” list that looks like a composition book! She has even told my “girlfriends” [they are in their late 80s], that I would make them some whirlygigs this spring. The ladies are single and have very little support so my wife and I try to help them whenever we can. Again thanks a lot , and wish me luck! Kindest regards Steve

32. LK says:

I got one of these saws recently and I like it. (1) The angled-blade problem: You have to insert the blade ALL the way into the slot, about 1/8 further than it where it wants to stop. Then it will face square forward. (2) The deflecting blade problem: The above-the-table blade guide absolutely does help the blade stay straighter, but remember that this thing is only an upside-down jigsaw. If you want perfection, Bridgeport makes some excellent mills. (3) The ??? problem: I don’t know about you, but I get nervous trying to hold a little workpiece with one hand and my Sawzall in the other. (4) The bandsaw is better problem: Yes, a REAL bandsaw IS better. But if you’ve been using a Home Depot-Cheepo like me, then it is not better. Believe me it’s not. If you’d rather bundle the money into a quality bandsaw, I think that would definitely make sense. But then you really would be spending that $500 or more on just one tool. (5) The infomercial problem: Guys, c’mon, be a little forgiving of Rockwell for trying to move some product.

33. DR GENE EMAHISER says:

I have been thinking about buying the BR unit, but wish that Rockwell would come out and say, we have made the corrections noted above, and so, you hesitating fellows, come and buy it. I would buy it. I am not sure enough of my machine skills to plow into pulling apart the parts that are not up to par, to allow me to move ahead on the purchase. Come on, Rockwell, finish the job, and we will cascade into your financial arms. trust me.

34. Wayne McKay says:

I have read a lot of comments and results from owners andI am a bit afraid to invest in something that is not yet profected. I also seems from the comments that the MFR is not really willing to resolve the issues yet. The TV ad sure make it sound good but the actually users have issues that prevent me from spending almost $200 on something that has the same quality cuts as a sabor saw.

35. John Crandall says:

I just saw the ad this morning about 1/2 hour ago and was seriously thinking about buying one of these to add to my already much too large collection of tools. It looked like a great all purpose easy to operate tool. I decided to look on line for some reviews first. Thank you gentleman for your assistance in changing my decision. I hate modifying something to make it right after spending good money for it. This has become a far too common problem with just about anything you buy today. I won’t be buying one until Rockwell decides to solve these problems and build it correctly.

36. Carl Hendrix says:

In my area of the south, we dont have a Meanards so Ive had to wait 6 months to finally see one of these for the first time!! I also bought it with a 90 day trial period. That way if I dont like it I can take it back. So far mine has worked great!! Ive only cut Some small pieces for some Wood Duck houses and a few other projects but so far its been good enough for me. I just bought it this past week at Lowes. I dont buy online anymore, to many hassles and Ive been disappointd to many times . But like some of my friends with my states wildlife management service said, this thing is as handy as a pocket on a shirt!! If you are willing to take a chance on a tool try this one.

37. KT says:

When and how will we know when/if Rockwell has taken these “freely provided” (Thank you Art!) solutions and incorporated them into this product.

Meanwhile, Art, if I buy one and ship it to you, what would you charge for your modifications? LOL maybe!!

38. Dale Hall says:

I ordered my BR from the Rockwell site on Ebay. $135.00 and free shipping. It is a refurb but has the same warranty as a new machine. I got it today and helped my son with a project at his house. How did it work? As advertised. The cuts were straight and square with the miter fence. I did not use the shop vac but it would be helpful, as like a scroll saw with no blower, the saw dust piles up on the cutting line. It is not perfect, but for the hobbyist with out much room it is perfect.

39. Jasnene says:

Does anyone recommend this for a 65 year old woman who wants to build ground decks and cut out cottage trim? Please, don’t laugh, I’m serious.

40. Janene says:

Sorry, I mispelled my first name.

• Erika says:

Jasnene,
      did you purchase yet? if not DO! i bought this about a month ago, my husband was who i orginally bought it for, and now i think i’m using it more, as some people have said before its perfect for the hobbist and small projects such as yours.

41. Pat says:

I’ve been contemplating the purchase, however, I am wondering how thick a board will it cut through, and plastic, can it cut through a 5 inch pvc pipe horizontally? I’m thinking about a trough for animal feed.

• Erika says:

Pat,
      if your only using it to cut 5 inches, stear away, this can cut yes, but only up to a 2″ thickness. i tried the other day to cut a piece of a (rather large) wooden leg of a table, and no go. thats the only part this mechine has let me down. so far yet, its been my best friend.

42. Lee R says:

I just want to thank everyone for such informative posts. I am putting it on my Christmas list and hope I find under the tree (along with the picture frame jig and circle cutter). I think it would serve nicely for those small hobby type jobs and will revert to my big tools when I require them. Cheers lee

43. Chuck P says:

I am interested in this product for the variety of things it will help me do, and after reading several websites of comments, feel it might be worth the price. I have two circular saws and a sawzall. So this would help me a lot with the smaller cuts, end cuts, and especially inside cuts.

The one consistent recommendation is to purchase some good Bosch T blades to replace the included ones. These reviewers said it takes most of the vibration and speeds up the cutting time with better blades.

Thanks for the suggestions Art on tightening up the machine.

44. Tool Cat says:

I sure hope I do enjoy my new BR. I just ordered it because it seemed like a great tool since I moved and sold all of my larger tools, bandsaw, table saw and jig saw. Reading all these reviews kind of made me think I made a mistake but I am hoping since it is a new one that it will be all I am hoping it to be. Jasnene I too am a 64 year old women that wants to add this to my other tools. My garage now is only a single car garage so the mounting hanger I am looking forward to using and not take up much garage space!!

45. Draugnar says:

Well, it won’t take the place of serious tools like the bandsaw and the table saw, it does work well for small cutting jobs that need to be done quicker and with more precision cuts on slightly thicker and more diverse material than what a scroll saw can cut. I build scale furniture for dollhouses on the side and for straight cuts through wood up to 1/2″ thick, it is great. Consider it an additional tool, not a replacement tool.

• Tool Cat says:

Well I do know that but am now doing small projects so I am crossing my fingers that I won’t have to send it back. Asking friends to always cut things for me and waiting till they can get time isn’t much fun when you want your project done now.

46. Draugnar says:

Steve, this will be perfect for the whirly gigs. I have actually used it for wood 7/8″ nominal. I wouldn’t try a 2×4, but then I have the Wen 10″ compounds sliding miter saw for thicker cross cuts.

47. Draugnar says:

Hey Art – You seem to have nearly perfected the BR. Could I send mine to you along with say $100 for your efforts and an additional amount to cover the postage and have you mod mine?

48. Jake says:

I’ve been looking into getting one, they look pretty sweet. I have a pretty beat up jigsaw that I try avoid using, so this looked like a great replacement/add-on. However, I’m seeing some mixed reviews and am uncertain going through with the purchase. I do more craftwork than framing, but I still do a bit of work with 2×4′s. Question is, do I spend my $150 Lowes giftcard on it, or save it?

49. chuck says:

Has this machine improved any? I want to cut 1/4″ steel but the first post says it only cuts 1/8″. Has they gotten the cutting straightness issue fixed?

50. Mike says:

I was thinking of removing the table top and replacing it with a larger one made of aluminum sheet, hardwood ply or mdf with standard T slots for using a much better miter gauge. Not sure if that would add height to the table which would restrict the cutting height too much to consider such a mod. I noted the modifications that Art French made and am interested in doing those too. I expected to use this saw for building furniture so some precision is needed.

51. Robert says:

Just received BR today. They have not fixed the issue of the guide bearings on the arm. Mine are as Art stated, 1/8 inch back and somewhat too far apart. I will apply fix after holidays.

52. Robert says:

Did Art’s mods, works great. Smooth cut blade almost requires no sanding after cut. Very happy with it now, too bad new items need to be modded though.