Perusing through Home Depot’s “gift” section, I came across a lot of cheap flashlights and multifunction tools, but one tool really caught my eye. It was your run-of-the-mill multi-bit screwdriver from Husky — but it had a hole in the middle of the handle that you could stick the shaft into to make it a T-handled screwdriver. I thought, “Holy crap, why have I never seen something like this before?”

Now given, if you have to crank on a screw so hard that you need a T-handle screwdriver, you’re probably doing something wrong, but there are times when you just can’t get enough leverage to remove a stuck screw — and I could totally see this tool saving your ass in that situation.

I looked for the display, but it was nowhere to be found. It turns out the screwdriver wasn’t from the “gift” section. Somebody must have moved it from the real tools section of the store. I soon located its home and verified that it wasn’t just an anomaly.

Made from chrome-vanadium steel, the shaft is heat-treated for strength. The handle is made from butyrate for chemical resistance (what are you using this screwdriver for, anyway?) You access the bit storage by screwing off the end cap.

The screwdriver comes with two double-sided bits, presumably a #1 Phillips & 3/16″ slotted and a #2 Phillips & 1/4″ slotted. It’ll run you $7 at a Home Depot near you.

T-Handled Screwdriver [Home Depot]

Tagged with:

11 Responses to Best Damn Screwdriver Idea In A While

1. ToolGuyd says:

There’s been a Craftsman version of this driver available for the longest time. One of these days I’ll pick one up, but every time I seriously consider it, I find something better to spend my $8 on.

2. Adam says:

We have teh craftsman version at home… its a great driver!

3. goiter_x says:

I picked up the Husky version at least 4 years ago, it has a permanent place in my snowboard pack, easy to get a grip on the T with gloves on at the top of a run.

4. Bor says:

While there’s nothing wrong with some flexibility, I’m not seeing a huge appeal myself.

If I need more torque on a screw I just use a longer bit and put a crescent or open ended wrench on the exposed part of hex shaft. Or just pull the bit out and put it in a 1/4 inch socket (and curse when the bit falls out). I’d buy bit sockets if it was that common of a need.

T-handles can be more comfortable to use, but I’d probably want a ratchet (a feature I find pretty useless on a straight driver).

5. Swedub says:

I picked one up for under $10 at HD. It’s got a solid connection from the side. My only complaint is the cap has sharp edges around the ridges. Nothing that a little sand paper can’t fix though. I would have picked one up sooner had I noticed them earlier.

6. IronHerder says:

Nice screwdriver, and good ideas all.

This tool, though, does make one concession to masculinity that should be left in the dust. If the handle were yellow or pink (light red?), it would be easy to find, for example, in a freshly roto-tilled garden. The production model might be lost forever, or at least until you gave up and bought a replacement.

It took me years (why?) to figure out that I could paint the black handle of my screwdriver to avoid this fate. Of course, I haven’t painted it yet. I guess I figure why spend five precious minutes painting when I can spend an hour or two looking for a black screwdriver in black dirt.

7. Jesse says:

The problem with this tool is the almost unique bits it uses. It cannot accommodate either insert or power bits. Therefore if you lose one of the bits or need something other than the Phillips or slotted sizes provided, the tool is useless.

8. Jesse says:

BTW, the Husky version has also been available for years.

9. Brad Justinen says:

I’ve had my Kobalt about 2 years. Very handy when you need it.

10. Daniel says:

Wow a lot of good comments here. I agree that this tool is comfortable to use and I gues I’ll join you guys in your postive comments since it really is reliable in removing a screw.

11. John says:

I own this tool and it has proven to be invaluable at times. It fits in tight spots and provides more torque than a stuby driver. It also fits a variety of manufactures blades and bits, enabeling you to un/screw a varietes of bolts, screws and fasteners. It has the added benefit of being sturdy and inexpensive!