This is definitely in the top three things ever posted to the Toolmonger photo pool as far as I can tell. Reader StonySilence decided not to argue with flamers that voiced dissenting points of view about the cutting prowess of the Dremel Trio but to show them what’s up by posting a demo in video form.

This video exhibits the same kind of spirit that we had for starting Toolmonger in the first place. We still have many discussions in the shop that end in, “…hell I don’t know, let’s try it and see.” It seems Ms. Silence is cut from the same cloth.

For the record: After reviewing the presented data — yes, a Dremel Trio will cut more than an 1/8th of an inch deep. We have positive conformation that it will indeed do at least 5/8” without issue.

Oh, and to whomever she made this video for — you have officially been pwned, sir. Hats off and beers up to you Stony — you may continue to rock like granite.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

10 Responses to The Dremel Trio — Majorly Pwned

1. Squidwelder says:

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win arguments. Badass, Stony, I wish more people would figure things out for themselves like that!

2. Deelow says:

LOL. Hats off and beers up to the toolmonger writers for writing pwned. TMMD

3. Jerry says:

Way to go Stony! If more people took the extra step to prove a point rather than just arguing, we’d all get a lot more accomplished.
    There are a lot of people who will disagree with anything because they simply love the argument (debate?). Of course, those are the folks that cause the rest of us to stand up and be able to say, “I told you so.” Besides, it opens the door for duscussion and that is how we seem to best solve problems.

4. george says:

interesting. not that straight but it did seem quicker than a saber saw. i’m still looking for an excuse to buy one.

5. dfmccarthy says:

Granted, experimental evidence is the final word. And I applaud Stony for answering BS artists who try to make their point by overstating things. But as to the tool itself, that’s another thing. The Trio was being advertised at very attractive prices not long after it came out. I happened to be itching to by a new tool (we all know how that feels) and the Trio and something else I don’t remember right now had caught my attention.

I have quite a collection of corded and cordless high speed rotary tools by Dremel and Black & Decker. All 1/8″ diameter and smaller bit size. I also have an old Sears 1/4″ die grinder that turned out to be a piece of crap. Much too late to return it I discovered it held anything put in it at a slight angle. Not all that noticeable if you’re using the 1/8″ adapter and a small tool bit. But if you mount a larger tool with a 1/4″ shank and it tries to shake itself apart.

So I was interested in maybe picking up a larger rotary tool with more power than what I had. But as soon as I checked the Trio out in person I saw the catch. There are all kinds of tool bits and accessories for 1/8″ diameter chucks/collets and also for 1/4″. And even adapter inserts like my die grinder had to let you use 1/8″ bits in a 1/4″ tool. Such as those descended from the Roto Zip design. _But_ the Trio uses a 3/16″ collet and bits. And there was no sign of a 3/16″ to 1/8″ adapter insert. That means the only bits you can use are those sold by Dremel. And you can” even use your other Dremel 1/8″ bits.

So, IMHO, the Trio was created to trap first time buyers into buying something with a very limited future. If you do only a small amount of work needing a power tool, and your needs are fully met by the Trio, it could be an okay deal. But for everybody else, save up your money until you can buy a quality 1/4″ tool with accessories.

Sorry if this reads rough, I’m trying to push through being ill right now. I hope to make it back in the future and have the time to post some interesting stuff.

6. Frank says:

For the price of a Trio you can buy a jig saw and a router.

7. Jaquandor says:

I have to admit that I was really captivated by the Trio when it came out, and I came THIS CLOSE to buying one, as I needed both a jigsaw-like tool and a laminate router. But after reading reviews, I decided against the Trio and decided to go the longer and more expensive route, buying first a decent DeWalt jigsaw and holding off on my router purchase. And lo, just a week or two after I decided against the Trio, I learned that DeWalt is coming out with their new compact router, which I will be purchasing as soon as I see one somewhere. Ultimately I’ll be spending three times what the Trio costs, but that’s fine by me.

I do still want a Dremel 4000, though. I need a small-scale grinder, because I come across lots of tasks in my day job (handyman at a very large grocery store) for which my 4.5″ angle grinder is overkill.

8. Coach James says:

Kudos to the lady for doing for herself and for proving her point. Add a speed square for a straight edge and it looks like it would cut fine.

9. brew says:

Well I don’t know about the argument that started this, Heck, I had never even heard of the “Trio” until I read this story, but looks like she won the bet. :)

10. Jack says:

I never even realized this was up for questioning. I got a new Trio for Christmas, and last week I shaped a 5/8″ sheet of plywood and a 1/2″ sheet of MDF. Just dove right into it and had no problems.