Safety has never been my middle name — everyone knows this. For better or worse, I tend to be more wary of the obvious things that mangle/hurt/kill me quickly than the equally-dangerous slow ones. For instance, a rotary tool near my face spinning at 35,000 rpm warrants a face shield. But for slow-moving risks such as lead paint, Kett is building tools like the KSV-432 to try to reign in the danger and keep the EPA happy as well.

The press release focuses on the recent EPA findings on lead paint and the fines that could come with non-compliance.

Kett Vacuum Saws Help Remodelers Comply with New EPA Lead Hazards Ruling -Contractors and remodelers who are facing the EPA’s new Final Ruling on lead, remodeling, repair and painting can be aided in becoming compliant when using Kett Tool’s KSV-432 vacuum saw with a HEPA filtered shop vacuum. The ruling requires that contractors, remodelers, painters, plumbers and other tradesmen be EPA-certified and follow detailed work and safety practices to prevent lead contamination and poisoning…

… The EPA Final Ruling is based on a federal agency study to determine what home remodeling, repair and renovation activities create hazardous lead dust, which is especially harmful to children. The new ruling applies to all paid renovators who work on homes and childcare facilities built prior to 1978. Fines as high as $37,500 per day can apply if EPA rules are not followed.

So Kett has a $500 drywall saw/drill that features a metal shroud and a port on the side that connects to a Shop-Vac with HEPA filter that can “aid” you in compliant work practices. The respirator, full-body suit, gloves, HEPA filter and Shop-Vac in the photo are all sold separately, of course.

I understand both the need for compliance and safety; however, couldn’t much of this same effect be achieved by using dust collection with a HEPA on a Roto-zip, worm-drive, or other type of saw? You’d come out way under $500 and I’m guessing get most of the benefit (though the suit could double as a Halloween costume of one of the government guys out to kidnap E.T.).

Am I missing something important here? Let me know in comments.

KSV-432 [Kett]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

10 Responses to Kett’s Answer For Lead Paint Issues

1. Fritz Gorbach says:

I took the epa lead safety “renovators class” last spring. Although this looks to be a good tool, I don’t see how it would help comply with the epa rules. The rule specify how and what areas and surfaces must be sealed and covered, and cleaanup procedure afterword, but not much about how the work must be done. And, as for a vacuum, the EPA requires use of a HEPA vacuum, not a shopvac or other vacuum with a HEPA filter. There is a distinct difference in performance, and cost, between a true HEPA vac, and a HEPA filter.

2. Kevin says:

What the he’ll is this RRP rule. First I have heard of it. Seems like a waste of time to me and expense. Just done a little reading about it and Its a joke lol. I bet contractors and well happy about this. My friend who works in a body shop has worked with lead his whole life and has never had an issue from it and they are bringing this law in for lead paint LMFAO I will do even more work in my own home from now on.

3. turtleman1 says:

@Kevin The rule does not apply to homeowners doing their own work.

4. fred says:

So far the new rules have added expense and frustration for clients on many jobs involving older home rennovations. Before starting – we need to call in specialist testing services with XRF guns to identify where lead paint is of concern – or otherwise treat evrything as potentially contaminated. Some have conluded that this is just a way for unscrupulous contractors to rip them off – when in fact they have it in reverse – since the unscrupulous (maybe unlicensed and uninsured too) contractors are the ones who do not comply. On the plus side if it prevents young children from coming into contact with lead paint debris – it should have a positive outcome

5. Brau says:

You can sell anything if you spread enough FUD about it. Some people today fear lead paint is poisoning them simply by it being there. The same insanity exists around asbestos.

The other night I was was watching Mike Holmes (Holmes on Homes) tell a pregnant mother that the 30 year old, painted, asbestos wrapped pipes in her crawlspace constituted a danger. He said gravely, “You don’t want to bring bring up your baby in a house with asbestos”. Of course ol’ Mike was there to “save” her by adding a few thousand to the bill for “safe removal”. It’s all about creating profit through misguided fear. Government agencies are eager to look like they’re saving the people, eager to look good with the unions, and both are ready to jump in and take a prime cut.

In short, if you are not grinding (IE: sanding) lead paint into a fine powder that is small enough to get past the cilia in your nasal passages (IE: like smoking) your body simply expectorates it out with your phlegm, no harm done. Breaking out wallboard covered in lead paint will never hurt anyone. Even if you suffer some dust exposure, there isn’t one single case of a person or child becoming ill because of a one-time, two-time, three-time exposure. It takes frequent exposure over years and years to fine particulate.

My respirologist says “Wear a mask. Common wood dust and molds are likely to do more lung damage than the lead.”

6. dreamcatcher says:

l thought this looked strangely familiar………

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320605760192#ht_1463wt_907

Anyone think the 1942 version was also $500, or is that price just a bit inflated to parallel with the [BS] lead paint hype? The EPA can kiss my ASS.

DC

7. John says:

A circular saw with a vacuum port, don’t they already make those?

And this ties in perfectly with a post I just made on DIYNot about lead paint;

Note in particular the end bits about selling through fear.

John

8. fred says:

@Brau

Asbestos insulation in inaccessible areas – like lead paint that is intact – not peeling etc. should not be a hazard – particularly if you don’t disturb it. I thought that the fuss is about small children repeatedly eating peeling lead paint chips or repeatedly ingesting particles of lead paint that is left behind from poorly done rennovations. I thought that the concern was not just over respiriable particles – but included taking in lead via the stomach. I don’t know of any contractors who agitated to have these new rules implemented – and their promulgation has been a big pain for most of us – likely to result in less work and reduced profit – not more. Are there fearmongers out there who trade on fear of asbestos, lead, mold and the like? Sure – but they are also aided and abetted by cheerleaders in our complex and litigious society. Just buy a brass doorknob – and you will probably find a warning that says the State of California has determined that it contains materials (traces of lead in the brass?) known to be harmful to your health

9. John says:

@fred

I 100% agree that, when kids are running around, things NEED to be very safe and things need considering that wouldn’t apply to adults.

But I struggle to believe many kids are going to eat lead paint. For a start, it should be stuck to the surface really right? So they’d have to peel it off first.

A far bigger safety problem is doing things like, feeding them Ritalin (amphetamines for kids). A number of painkillers are also a lot more harmful to livers and such than people would like to imagine, and accumulatively so (they linger and build up).

In terms of harm, kids are far more likely to get hurt because they don’t realize drivers can’t stop immediately, or see them behind parked cars.

Also, lead isn’t toxic in that the kids will drop dead. What’s more likely is that they’ll drop a tiny percentage of IQ points. Probably less than the difference you could make by caring about their education a bit more as a parent – e.g. read them stories before bed.

As for this saw, my scare mongering alarms are going off, as it is basically a circular saw with a vacuum port, just branded for lead paint work with fear inducing marketing involved. It also won’t remove lead paint on surfaces like skirting / rails / cupboards etc. If it’s on the dry wall and the board is coming down, that can come off in many other ways.

Asbestos… a lot of schools and universities in the UK have that in the roof linings to slow down the spread. There is a big thing now that it could be hazardous to the kids and teachers because they’re permanently around it and things like doors slamming knocks the linings, which releases the dust (as you probably know, that is THE problem with it, not the solid sheets).

The only solution to that at the moment, that I have seen in use, is to pull the entire lot. Again, as you’ll know, that costs a FORTUNE. The manual work it’s self is tricky enough, then the lengths needed to keep the dust under control, follow it and so on ends up with a bill that needs a double take to believe.

So now there’s a big debate going on. Let the kids sit around it and the risk of it getting airborne through unknowns like gaps and door slams, or remove it and simultaneously pull millions from the school budgets.

Something I haven’t seen anyone mentioning is…. cover it – thoroughly.

For example, epoxy paint is brutally hard wearing and resistance to chemical attack; you can literally drive forklifts over it all day, spill chemicals on it and it’ll last for years.

I have been left wondering, why not simply expose the linings, then spray the entire lot with an epoxy. That is NOT going to wear off when no one’s touching it or allow dust to escape through vibration, it can seal the entire lot, permanently, but quickly, easily, safely and for far less money than pulling it. It’s touching the stuff that makes the bill go vertical. So don’t. Spray it, put the covering back over.

I may actually suggest this to someone involved with H&S in schools. As I want the kids to be safe, but I also don’t want people coming in and saying “this is the only way” because they want the huge pay wad for it.

Of coarse, it’s not something anyone can mess around with. But I also suspect the people removing aren’t chemists or engineers, they’re just guys who’ve been told how to touch it and block escape routes. Tricky, to an extent. But also easy to say “you NEED to pay us $$$”.

10. dreamcatcher says:

I really shouldn’t be complaining… I’m a remodeler. I should just jump on the bandwagon and jack my prices up three fold. I should automatically just treat every job like a toxic waste site. “Sorry ma’am, gotta work slow… don’t want to get this toxic dust airborne. Think of your children.” It’s always about the children.

Unfortunately, this new law doesn’t apply so much to people who have the money to pay extra. In my experience, lead paint (and those darn lead paint eating kids) are more commonly found in areas of squalor. You know, those people who haven’t painted their homes in three decades and it’s scaling off the clapboards. It’s like that on the inside too. But those types of people don’t hire contractors anyway and even if they wanted to, the cost of lead and asbestos abatement make it too expensive for them ever to do so. These laws make old houses too expensive to fix up.

But (in my “humble” opinion) this law isn’t really about “public health” and concern for the kiddies. It’s made to get people out of their old [toxic] house and into a [healthy] brand new house. It’s a typical republican lobbyist game; all politics. It gets the homebuilding market moving again…. or so whomever lobbied to get the law passed thought.

DC