buy ambien no rx

It has long been held that those of the woodworking ilk are somehow rougher folk, without refinement. This is of course not so; we appreciate sophistication and beauty in many different forms. Case in point: I submit to you the near symphony of what is achievable when engineers, market research, and many thousands of dollars in R&D are brought to bear on a simple miter saw like the GCM12SD from Bosch.

To me the axial glide saw is far more interesting than a bunch of people running around in white tights screaming in Italian or trying to stumble through 16th-century poetry in old English. This machine gets work done using an entirely new, hinged bearing arm that is almost a forehead smacker once you see it in motion.

I posted about it a few months back but until you witness what it does and all the features that are stuffed into the design it’s difficult to imagine why this saw is such a big deal. We plan to illustrate in great detail when the sample unit Bosch said it’s shipping soon arrives at the Toolmonger shop.

We are of the opinion that it will hold up to our testing and better explain why other miter saw makers are now behind a year or two. Until then, enjoy the show, even if a guy who sounds like the announcer from Need For Speed narrates it.

As we understand it the GCM12SD will run about $800. It’s available now according to Google Products, and Amazon will begin shipping the 25th of October.

GCM12SD Glide Miter Saw Video [YouTube]
Preview: Axial-Glide Compound Miter Saw [Via Toolmonger]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Miters In Axial Motion

1. matt says:

Yeah, that’s cool but can it play the McGyver theme song???

2. fred says:

Last few miter saws we bought were Makita’s – the few before that were Bosch’s – next batch lis likely to be back to Bosch if this saw lives upo to its promise. It may be a while , however – because the Makita’s seem to be holding up pretty well

3. Audra Heaslip says:

Old English was spoken by Anglo-Saxons only until about the 12th century — after that came Middle English, then Early Modern English. If someone was stumbling through 16th-century English language poetry, it would be Early Modern English, the kind Shakespeare used.

However, in case you think Old Stuff is boring, here’s my favorite passage from The Wife of Bath’s Tale in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales (14th Century, Middle English). I grabbed line notes from Wikipedia (and they’re accurate).

Is it for ye wolde have my queynte allone? “queynte” = a nice thing, cf. Latin quoniam, with obvious connotation of “c**t”

Wy, taak it al! Lo, have it every deel! “deel” = “part”; plus, the implication of transaction

Peter! I shrewe yow, but ye love it weel; “Peter” = St. Peter; “shrewe” = curse; hence: “I curse you if you don’t love it well.”

For if I wolde selle my bele chose, “belle chose”: another suggestion of female genitalia (her “lovely thing”)

I koude walke as fressh as is a rose;
    But I wol kepe it for youre owene tooth. “tooth” = taste, pleasure
    (III.444-449)

I submit to you: A bawdy woman dishing dirt about her romantic life is at least as interesting as an axial glide saw. 🙂

4. Kevin says:

Bosch seem to be full of them self with this saw. Festool make a saw that can sit up against a wall, makita had built in supports many years ago, adjustable fence has been done on many saws many times, the festool saw also has adjustable bevel from the front of the saw, dust extraction setup looks poor at best, handle is right of center which is never a good thing for flex, it’s heavy and they don’t make a 10″ version, work piece clamp looks cheap like the dust extraction port. Looks like the only plus about this saw over any other saw is the axial glide but what does that really offer what current rail saws don’t? This will fly of the shelf to people who really don’t know what they are buying.

5. Brau says:

Wow. There are a number of things on this to seriously challenge my loyalty to my Makita; closeness to wall, forward bevel controls, markings on the fence, and ease of fence adjustments. On the negative side, I still don’t like Bosch saws for their small cutting surface, horizontal offset D-handle, and I didn’t see a laser (which I would not do without) on this model.

6. Sean O'Hara says:

@Audra: lol, I submit to you a quote from the Sage Corbin Dallas, “I speak two languages, English and Bad English.”

7. Julian Tracy says:

Screw the laser’s – get a saw that has an LED shadow guide system on it. I bought the Dewalt LED accesssory for my mitersaw – it casts a perfect shadow exactly where the blade will cut. No adjustments, no tweaking. Plus – how many times have you been finishing up on a job and the light’s getting low outside – the LED light doubles as a work light.

JT

8. Install says:

I know they are trying to show their “advantages”, but if another
    tradesperson had passed behind me as shown (tight places),
    they would have gotten an earful from any good and sensible
    carpenter i know.

9. fred says:

@Kevin

Time will tell whether this saw lives up to its advertising – and how long it holds up – and stay’s accurate in long term use. Bosch makes the point thai it is full featured – with some innovations – one of which eliminates sliding rails and presumabaly some of the slop (thus need for adjustment – if you can) that comes from hard-use wear. Time will tell about this too.

Now as far as the Kapex is concerned – Festool has a great reputation for building quality tools – but when last I looked at a Kapex at my local distributor – it was over $1400 after sales tax. If I were to replace all 12 of our miter saws (not that I intend to) with the new Bosch versus Kapex saws – the cost difference would be about $6500 – something to consider!

10. JD says:

I love Bosch products (I am constantly singing the praises of my Litheon 18V drill), but $800 is mighty expensive for a non-pro. Do they offer anything in the lower end for us weekend DIYers?