The folks at Miller dropped us a line today to tell us they’re releasing a new DVD aimed at “hobbyists and home fabricators looking to become more proficient with the TIG welding process.” Substitute “become” for “become more” and that pretty much describes me to a T. I’ve spent plenty of time with my Millermatic MIG rig, but I’ve never tried TIG welding.

The video features Ron Covell, a motorcycle and car guy who holds metalworking workshops around the country. We haven’t seen the video yet, but we’ll definitely request a copy to check it out. It’s available directly from Miller for $40.

Now does anyone want to loan us a TIG welder so we can get some practice?

Advanced TIG Welding DVD [Miller]

10 Responses to Miller’s Advanced Tig Welding How-To

1. Jim says:

Damn, those welds are sexy.

2. SCWetherbee says:

3. rob says:

no a mig welder is a wire feed system a millermatic particularly is a all in one mig machine

to tig weld you need a power unit a tig torch and a gas regulator
    you can buy a power unit and a wire feeder which is the most flexable
    system as it allows for tig,mig and stick

you can tig with some stick welders how ever aluminum requires special
    setting that not all stick welders have

4. dm says:

@jim:

yes indeed those are sexy welds. I often go to the fancy section of the bicycle shop to look at the titanium rigs just to ogle the welds. Often I find that the finest tig welders either are bicycle frame makers or work for f1/other race teams.

5. Cameron Watt says:

Want to up your TIG game? Google “walking the cup”

6. Mateo says:

Moots bike frames have the world’s sexiest welds.

7. Murph38_99 says:

Anything like this for MIG? I really need(want) a good inexpensive TIG setup; suggestions?

8. Shopmonger says:

JIM: Yes and good tig welders can make art with them, even patterns that are more unusual and they still look amazing.

ShopMonger

9. Morgan W says:

“SCWetherbee Says:
    September 9th, 2010 at 5:35 pm
    I don’t weld, so I also don’t know what I’m talking about usually, but I thought all you needed was a TIG torch for your MIG welder. No?”

No, MIG is constant voltage (the wire acts as the amperage) while TIG needs constant current.

From http://www.zena.net/htdocs/FAQ/cc_cv.shtml

“With Constant Current welding, power regulation the manufacturer of the equipment allows the voltage produced by the welding power generating equipment to vary within set limits so that the current (amperage) supplied to the welding arc is unvarying.”

“In a Constant Voltage welder, the manufacturer of the equipment allows the current (amperage) produced by the welding power generating equipment to vary to whatever extent is necessary so that the voltage supplied to the welding arc is unvarying. Typically constant voltage welders are lower cost MIG units and in this type of machine, the manufacturer takes advantage of the constant voltage current to use it not only for welding but for powering the motor which pulls or pushes the electrode wire to/through the torch.”

Most multi-process welders have the ability to run both, but they tend to be a bit more than hobbyist machines.

10. KMR says:

World’s Sexiest TIG Welds: Exhaust merge collectors from Burns Stainless.

The HAZ is so evenly in width, and the color it produces on 304 stainless is fantastic. The beads are so perfect in overlap, you’d swear a robot did it (I’m semi-convinced that Burns does use robotic welders). At least that would explain why I pay $360 for the collector I use most often.