Yes, I’m writing about a kitchen appliance — this is still Toolmonger, no need to check your browser. Go back and look at the above picture. Take a minute and figure out how the beaters actually spin and then come back and tell me that isn’t cool. I’ll wait.

The design of Bosch’s MFQ4080 hand mixer reminds me of an interference engine — you know, the type that instantly tears itself apart if the timing belt breaks. Somebody over at Bosch took the time to figure out how to make the wacky design spin and deliver better results than a normal hand mixer.

The lowdown on the mixer is that the fine creamer whisk works faster and the small balls and funky action add more air to the mixture, all while staying quiet, which I guess is important if you are making a cake in the middle of the night and you don’t want to alert the kids. The 500W mixer has 5 speeds plus a “turbo” stage to provide extra torque — probably not enough to handle drywall mud.

Ignoring the fact that you probably won’t be able to plug this mixer in, there’s one place that’ll ship this mixer across the pond to the U.S., but it’ll cost you. Expect to pay $96 for the mixer, $74 for shipping, and $18 to get it through customs. That’s $188 for the mathematically challenged.

Hand Mixer [Appliancist]
Hand Mixer* [Bosch]
Hand Mixer [eibmarkt]

*You’d better bone up on your German or you could cheat and use Google Translate if you want to understand the site.

Tagged with:

13 Responses to It’s Just Cool: Bosch Hand Mixer

1. Toolhearty says:

I would imagine the beaters are removable for cleaning. I hope there’s only one way they can go back into the mixer.

2. matt says:

need video link

I don’t understand what you’re talking about

3. Jim says:

I seen this before. Why does overseas people get all the cool stuff *sigh* Oh that’s right. Businesses cater to what people want, and we americans like our 24 inch rims, overpriced bottled water, SUV’s that never go offroad and carry only one person, I could go on. We don’t need that kitchen appliance. I just eat out 7 days a week at McDonalds. We don’t like that sensible stuff that would actually improve our quality of life, if only in the slightest.

4. Brau says:

Well, I’ll say this … the design certainly is what I’m used to seeing from Bosch (wild), but *does it actually work any better*? Is the difference worth paying $150 more than your regular dept store brand? I have my doubts, as usual. Hence, I’d love to see a head to head tool-off against a “regular” $30 beater set.

5. Chris says:

Haha, you said “small balls”.

What Brau said. I’d be curious to know if standard mixing whisks/paddles are really as inefficient as Bosch would like us all to think. This strikes me as a case of building a “better” mousetrap when the existing designs have been killing mice quite well for the last 200 years.

Also, when you said “hand mixer”, I was expecting something hand-cranked, but yeah. And there’s no way I’d pay near-stand-mixer prices for a piece of equipment whose sole “innovation” is really worth about $20 (the cost, I’d bet, of a replacement set of whisks for this one).

Toolhearty: even on my mom’s ancient handheld mixer, the whisks can only be installed facing one way (although they’re interchangeable right-to-left). I can’t quite tell if these are “handed” or not.

cl

6. Robert says:

KitchenAid, red please.

’nuff said?

7. Aleksejs says:

Heh, hello from over the pond :D Just teasing but we have this model in one of our supermarket chains as a give-away for collecting coupons:
    FYI: 1 USD=0.556 LVL

8. matt says:

Still waiting for somebody to explain to me “how it spins”…I don’t get it

9. Alright matt, I’ll tell you what I see.

There are two beaters, the one on the left and the one on the right. As far as I can tell they both are the same, but rotated 180 degrees. They spin in opposite directions.

Take the inner/smaller loops. As one starts to rotate out, the other starts to rotate in. As the two outer /bigger loops rotate they pass inside each others loops.

So what you say, normal beaters rotate in opposite directions and almost interlock like gears, and they don’t touch either.

Now try following the path of the beads. The inner beads travel in a small circle and the outer beads travel in a much larger circle. You have multiple mixing actions as opposed to if you put beads on a normal beater anywhere along the flat part they would always travel in the same size circle regardless on which tine they were on.

Think of the effect this has on mixing. Every rotation the outside loop pulls batter, for lack of a better term, a longer distance. Theoretically it should do more mixing with less work.

Maybe it’s just me I thinks it’s neat somebody took the time to optimize a design that mixes faster for the same work I don’t think this type of beater is unique to Bosch, I think their contribution is the beads.

Plus spinning it has to look neater than a couple of meshed gear-like beaters spinning.

10. ttamnoswad says:

this works just like any other hand held mixer……….they just put some bends and beads on the the intermeshing fingers of the mixer.

no big deal…….nothing to see here.

I always considered Bosch design to be conservative and sleek……not wild………I say we need more german influenced design in american consumer goods.

11. That’s good idea…

12. Beatrice says:

Does anyone know if the cord plug is European? I live in Canada & am tired or buying junk. I’d gladly pay the price of this mixer cuz I know it will last. I have the big one & it’s never given me grief!

13. Kim says:

Bosch is the bomb. Don’t judge until you use one of there mixers. They are the only one you will ever buy that doesn’t burn out right away and runs so quiet. I love love love my bosch hand mixer and my bosch universal. The bosch dishwasher all run smooth quiet. There are tons of states dealers so no problem with customs. The cost a little more but in the long run after owning my bosch universal bread mixer for almost 20 years with no problems worth it.!!
    I will be buying the new hand mixer if my old bosch ever wears out. Love the quality…