One of the keys to effective scraping is to keep your scraper sharp, but according to Ele Grisgsby, teaching people how to properly sharpen their scraper is futile. So he invented the Ol Bastard scraper and jig.

You can use the ergonomic plastic scraper to remove polyurethane, paint, or vinyl tile glue from wood. When it comes time to sharpen the steel scraper blade, just slip the scraper onto the sharpening jig’s bar and slide the scraper back and forth against the jig’s built-in bastard file. The jig holds the scraper blade in the correct position to get a razor-sharp edge with the correct angle.

You can purchase the sharpening jig and scraper for $50 before shipping. A three-pack of replacement blades runs about $5.

Ol Bastard [Corporate Site]
Ol Bastard [Woodcraft]

Tagged with:

9 Responses to Grab An Ol Bastard For Your Next Scraping Job

1. the tool doesn’t make sense. It’s a jig to file the edge of the scraper. But a scraper isn’t an angled edge, it’s burnished to have a curved edge.

I would imagine that this thing would have a lot more tearing of the wood – fine for scraping paint, not ok for finishing work.

2. JeffD says:

On the website “Simply the best paint scraper for wood, polyurethane, paint removal, refinishing hardwood floors, scrape wooden boat hulls, scrape wood floors corners before you apply polyurethane or use for removing vinyl tile glue from wood floors and more.”

As Jonathan stated “fine for scraping paint”. And I agree.

Did anyone notice how they are abusing that innocent piece of oak in the picture? Shame on them!

3. dreamcatcher says:

You guys act as if there is only one kind of scraper and only one use for scrapers. I thought it was obvious that this was a paint scraper and a good ideal if it weren’t already so easy to sharpen one.

@ Jonathan, you are thinking of a “card scraper” specifically. Most all other scrapers do not require a burnished edge.

@ Jeff, how do you know they are “abusing” that oak? Maybe that was just the final stroke after removing 17 layers of paint… who paints quartersawn oak? Still, I’d rather have a few scrapes with the grain than a plethora of sanding swirls against it.

DC

4. brian says:

I just finished removing about 100 years of old paint from the exterior of my house. I could have used this.
    The first two days I used a good scraper and kept sharpening it. That got old fast. So instead I opted for the $700 paint shaver pro.
    I don’t regret buying the paint shaver, but my wallet does.

5. fred says:

A Toolmonger comparison of various powered paint removal tools from Wagner, Porter Cable, Metabo and Paintshaver (others if they exist) compared to hand scraping with a heat gun and/or other approaches – would be a good thought provoking piece.

BTW – I see that my painting sub’s crew carry a file with them and are often touching up their scrapers during prep work.

6. Ross says:

I favor the Bahco scrapers with replaceable carbide blades. They stay sharp for good long time and don’t require the constant sharpening of traditional scrapers.

7. Gary says:

I made a cabinet for someone out of riftsawn white oak once (think quartersawn without the medulary rays). He painted it. Ugh.

8. Toolhearty says:

JeffD Says:

Innocent? That piece of oak would kill you and everyone you love if given the chance.

I like oak, but my father was never wild about the stuff. He used to say: “Why, when I was growing up (Depression-era), they used to use it to pave the roads ’cause it was so hard to work with.” Which is probably true if one had to use hand tools. …and the guy grew up in a sawmill town where they harvested cypress.

9. Shopmonger says:

Gary = I am sorry to hear that…….Painful Loss

And yes a file is a great way to touch up an scraper and a belt sander can sharpen on in a flash……

Again- if you can’t sharpen it….you should consider whether or not you should be using it….

ShopMonger