The old man and I recently went out to a friend’s place to help her clear out her garage. Way in the back of it we found a giant tool chest of drawers and a few cabinets full of tools. Most of it was crap and we didn’t get to go through everything that night, but in the fading light of evening what we did manage to find made us very excited. This old Stanley level was buried back there gathering dust.

A quick wipe with a rag revealed that both vials were completely intact, and it was indeed a Stanley. At first I thought it might have been a No. 96; however every 96 I’ve seen has a brass ring around the side vial and this didn’t look like it ever had one there. I’m not really sure what it is, but regardless it’s pretty damn cool and we’re excited to see what else is back there when we return soon.

9 Responses to Vintage Tools: Stanley Level

1. Sprague says:

Be warned – once the feaver of old tools sets in, it’s hard to shake!

2. rob says:

the real question is it still True and straight
    it is a stanley so it could be but it is would so there is a chance it isn’t

3. Ben says:

I just moved out of my parents house and my dad was going through his father-in-laws old tools. One of them was this exact same level! I haven’t gotten around to really cleaning it yet but it appears to be in good working order. Congrats on your find.

4. Adrian Keafer says:

I have a level similar to yours. It has an extra Pat. date of 2-4-96. The two slots on either side of the adjusting screw, are for a brass cover. Mine has a Pat date on it, Feb 1890, and ADJ * SCREW, top and bottom of Pat date. It has a number “3″ stamped into the wood, between the two adjuster plates, making it a model 3. The whole thing is 26 1/4″ long and 3 1/8″ wide, 1 3/8″ thick. It has both ends capped in brass. Both vials are full and accurate.

5. Joe Forte says:

I have a level similar to the one pictured, except it has no date on it. It just has a No.3 on it.

6. eric suir says:

I have a level like that,it has a faint 08 stamped on the wood .Its adjustable and it has the same pat. date on top but it has a date of mar. 25 90 on the sides.I cant find any information in this model,I would like to know how old it is.

7. Terry says:

I have the same one to the t . How old is it.

8. rob says:

got mine at a local flea market for $5.00! In very good condition and in great shape and just as accurate as my brand new Stanley fat max level!!!!!!