If you saw a picture of this tool, would you be able to guess what it was? Even knowing that Hyde called it a painter’s door stand, I couldn’t figure out how it was used until I read the description on Amazon.  You attach the $4 door stand to the hinge mortises of two doors and it holds both doors upright at what looks to be a right angle to each other so you can finish all sides of the two doors.

There are a couple of caveats, the door hinges have to be at the same height and you can’t apply finish to the bottom. Presumably you attach the door stand to the center or top hinge mortise, but if you’re a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, you might want to pick up two to make the standing doors more stable: one for the top of the door and one for the bottom.

What I still can’t figure out is: Why on their website and online store does Hyde only show a picture of the tool out of context in the wrong orientation with no description of its use? You’d think anybody that had spent even two days in marketing would have figured out that’s no way to sell a product.

Painter’s Door Stand [Hyde]
Painter’s Door Stand [Hyde Store]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

18 Responses to Bad Marketing: Painter’s Door Stand

1. john in the 661 says:

A tool for “Ask This Old House”

2. philm says:

Why not paint the doors while they’re hanging on their hinges and use a drop cloth? This looks like more of a PITA than it’s worth…

3. Carmen says:

You could use two of them to connect the door to it’s actual installation frame hinge locations. The bracket would hold the door upright and off the ground so that you could paint both sides of the door in it’s proper location.

4. Mrten says:

I usually drill two holes into the top and bottom of a door, at a slight angle, and insert four large nails about a third of the way in. The door can rest horizontally on two stands (and the nails) for painting and can stand up against a wall for drying. The only drawback is that you need two people for handling the doors when painted, but you can paint the whole door on all sides in one go.

5. JarBro says:

1st post; love the site. Likely they didn’t have anybody in Marketing (i’m in Mktg), or at least anyone in Mktg. worth their weight in salt….”Tool” looks like a toolbox/workshop paperweight-clutter-upper-thingy to me.

6. Jim says:

What is the purpose of the additional line of holes along the main beam? They appear to be there deliberately for a purpose.

Thoughts?

Jim

7. fred says:

We don’t paint – leave that to others – but I saw a tip someplace that had you put a long deck screw into the exact center of both the top and bottom of the door so that it would pivot around – supported on v-notches in plywood gussets attached to sawhorses

8. browndog77 says:

@ Jim-
    If you look closely, you will see the words “screw storage” stamped just beloe the row of holes! I guess the thing comes with special screws? All in all a waste of a perfectly good piece of whatever it is made of!

9. Jim says:

@browndog77-

Thanks. I cannot pick that up with the settings on my monitor.

10. Toby says:

Wouldn’t a pair of hinges do the same thing? And I bet they’re cheaper

11. bajajoaquin says:

Looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Reminds me of the saying, “there’s nothing so useless as doing well that which doesn’t need to be done at all.”

12. shopmonger says:

I use 2 2x4s with nails in then and drive them in the top and bottom of the door…paint- then flip then paint…..

Shopmonger…

13. rob says:

take 2 people but I have seen painter do 6 or 7 doors in one room with just a piece of 1×4 nailed across the tops of them all while standing them at right angles to each other

I work on apartments and town home lots where everything is the same a 100 times over and I have to say this is a waste

14. Marius says:

This tool is a waste for the reasons mentioned in review. If you have several doors which you want to SPRAY, do them like Rob said in previous post. (For hand application, there are better ways.) More detail of that method:

First place something like rosin paper on your floor, which will of course protect the floor, but also keep dirt of your door when you spray. Since this is likely to be a room in a house, do this before painting the walls and ceiling, or mask it of.
    Place a couple of spacers below every door to keep the edge off the paper.
    Run the support 1x at the top from wall to apposing wall to keep doors from toppling over. That, along with placing them in a zig-zag pattern, is very stable. Just be careful with setup and takedown.
    Spraying latex with a fine-finish tip can be done fast enough to keep a wet edge. Just complete the one face and side you see of each door while moving down the one side, and then do the same on the other side of your setup.
    I hope you know how to apply the right amount of paint, otherwise you will have runs on ten doors if you screwed up consistently. :( This is easier to control with a fine-finish tip though.

15. Kieran says:

It’s easy to find fault with an item if you haven’t ever used it. These little items are absolutely brilliant timesavers in the hands of a professional, check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Uq_8DDqI0

As Confucius says, don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it.

• browndog77 says:

Thanks for the post & video! I hereby rescind my negative comments re: these items. For high volume jobs I’m sure they pay for themselves in short order! Nice work!

16. Dean Coulter says:

Have used these before, great tool. How
    Do I purchase these door brackets?

17. mark says:

If you think they are useless your sadly mistaken. Ive used every method listed above, and nothing works as professional and gives as good a result as this tool. I suppose its not marketed real clearly because the target customer is going to know what it is. Hyde products enjoys a niche market with painters in that they produce many specialty tools that we use. Now as far as can something else be used? Sure it could, feel free to screw all your property owners doors together using scrape lumber, it looks un professional and runs the risk of some uncaring hourly wage worker coming buy and knocking them down like a row of dominos, but hey thats how you wanted to do it. The video shows a very highly regarded industry professional using them, he is in boise idaho, im in the deep south and his quality of work and reputation stretches this far, im not saying thats why these should be used, but believe me as someone also in the industry if a painter mimics chris’ s techniques they will be highly successful.