Recently, Rockler threw its hat into the ring of corrugated fastener tools with its own rebranded entry.  Think of a corrugated fastener as a type of wavy staple that can be used to hold face frames or any other two pieces of wood that butt together — simpler and faster than toe-nailing or using pocket screws. They’re driven by an air powered tool you’d have a hard time telling apart from a nail gun.

I don’t recognize the construction, so I’m not sure who actually makes the tool, but it drives 1/2″ wide corrugated fasteners into both hard and soft wood. The fasteners come in lengths of 1/4″, 3/8″, or 1/2″ and are bound in magazines which are easy to load.

Rockler ships their corrugated fastener tool with lubricating oil and a pair of safety goggles. They priced it at $230 which, according to Google Products, is about the middle of the road — you can pay a lot more for a Senco or a lot less for an Air Locker. Depending on their length, the fasteners themselves range from $13, $15, or $16 per box of 1000.

Corrugated Fastener Tool [Rockler]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

Tagged with:

13 Responses to Wavy Fastener Gun

1. ttamnoswad says:

” simpler and faster than toe-nailing or using pocket screws”……

You should have also included cheaper, less durable, temporary, lower quality, and devoid of any craftsmanship.

Now you too can be proud to mimic particle board furniture made in Malaysia.

2. Jim says:

@ttamnoswad

A-G-R-E-E !!!

Jim

3. SharkBreath says:

I make many 16×20 frames for canvas and photo matting. I use pocket screws. There is NO way I would use this stapler/nailer. I believe in handmade, custom quality. Now if I was making 100+ frames a day…maybe..and a small maybe at that.

4. fred says:

We use a Senco Senclamp fastener gun for some fabrication work. The Senclamps pull the pieces together – much better than corrugated box staples. We use the Senclamps on bannisters and handrails to pull together joints that are supported with dowels and gkue.

5. aaron says:

what ttamnoswad said. this type of fastening is weaker than a simple glued butt joint – which is actually quite strong with modern wood glues. of course it takes more than a fraction of a second to assemble.

6. Ben Granucci says:

As we were taught in school, with one of these, you are basically fastening with a chisel, and everyone knows what one of those does. They do have their place though, and our shop does stock 1 or 2 of them for the occasional need (along with almost every other handheld woodworking tool ever made).

7. Michael R. says:

Looks like Porter Cable to me.

Incidentally, PC seems to make the ones for Harbor freight too… they look a little different but also have some distinct similarities.

8. dreamcatcher says:

Wow, you guys are all real hypocrites. Since when is a pocket screw the mark of quality? And how do they rank when compared to dowels, biscuits, or dominoes? If you ask me, custom cabinets are custom made no matter what frame jointing method you use. If you want a real “mark of quality” then you all should be tenon and mortising your frames. If you don’t use mortise joints on your cabs and you are commenting against this tool then you are a hypocrite. Frankly, I am more appalled that the example picture shows a face frame that isn’t dadoed to fit the carcass.

9. Bullfrog says:

My dad calls them Wiggle Nails, they have been holding the frame of our skylight together since it was built , Which was before i was born.

10. Tim says:

Got some news for you “crafstsmen” out there that rip on corrugated fasteners….I’ve been in a LOT of attics where the trusses are joined with nothing more than 1″ crown corrugated fasteners….and those houses are still standing, 50 years later, and those trusses show NO sign of being weaker than the day they were built.I used to think like you, and I was really broke financially. After opening my mind to working smarter, with the same end results, I am less broke, and one day hope to be immensely profitable.

Remember, the working man USED to make a good living until the rich guys decided they could cut the working man’s wages by letting people in 3rd world countries build stuff for a LOT less, because they live 3 or 4 families to a house and have outdoor plumbing….so now the working man here has been forced to sleep with the devil, and buy cheap junk made elsewhere from TV’s to toasters. Maybe we will soon be buying homes made in other countries and shipped here. For now, the rich guys opened the floodgates in 1986 and invited cheaper labor from other countries to build those houses…we shall reap what we sow.

• JIMMIE BROWN says:

I’m with you Bro.

If you are a hobbiest then woodworking is just a hobby. Meaning any time you spend doing what you love is why you are there. The is no such thing as wasted time.

When you are a pro, any time not making money is wasted time. Being how we do have to compete with China for the middle class dollar; any tool that makes the job faster is benifical to the bottom line.

If your product will last the life time of the home (ie cabinets) what the He@l is the complant about precieved quality.

11. Mark Canvasmaker says:

Thanks for the helpful and useful post, looks really handy I’m just getting into framing and this has helped me.

Excuse my language but ‘negative opinions are like assholes – everybody has one!!’