Gizmodo reports that CRKT® has a new tool for getting out of your car in emergencies. The ExiTool™ combines a seatbelt cutter, a window breaker, and an LED flashlight in one unit that clips onto any standard seatbelt. It’s like a ResQMe (see TM 9/29/07 and 9/28/08) with an LED, but may be more convenient because it’s right there on the seatbelt.

This tool’s seatbelt cutter is designed so that “it’s virtually impossible for even the smallest fingers to accidentally reach the blade,” which is razor-sharp high-carbon stainless steel able to cut seatbelts with a quick pull. The tungsten carbide breaker point is designed to shatter tempered glass side windows, and the LED is powered by a single CR2032 lithium battery.

The ExiTool™ is expected to retail for $26.99, and will be “Coming Soon in 2010.”

What do you think? Would you pick one up for each of your vehicles?

ExiTool™ [Manufacturer's Site]

Tagged with:

16 Responses to CRKT ExiTool

1. ShopMonger says:

Great idea, because when you are upside down it is hard o reach the center console or your glove box…..Trust me…

ShooMonger

2. Shalin says:

This tool seems very clever – definitely an upgrade from the ResQMe tool with an LED and seatbelt clip.

I have the ResQMe tool and have given a few to friends/family. I hang mine from the rearview mirror – so it’s not too out of reach.

Best,
    Shalin
    (former vol. FF)

3. ToolGuyd says:

Taking a look at some of the comments on Gizmodo, it looks as though many people, including a few claiming to be EMTs and paramedics, are against the use of this tool.

I know that it is best if tools like this never have to be used, but just how effective is it going to be in the hands of someone that’s panicked or untrained?

I won’t make up my mind about it just yet and will sit on the fence until the tool is released and user reviews start popping up online.

4. David Bryan says:

Shalin, I’ve still got my rear view mirror from the last car I wrecked. My sister and brother-in-law went to get all the stuff out of the car at the wrecking yard, and found the mirror in the back with all the other stuff. You might want to put it somewhere else.

5. Jim K. says:

@Shalin: I agree with David Bryan, the rear view mirror isn’t a very secure location to place your rescue tool. I’ve been in 2 relatively significant accidents and in both the rear view came detached from the windshield and landed elsewhere in the vehicle. The first time I experienced this it was almost a bit comical as I wear glasses that had also fallen off. I’d been hit from behind and went to look into the mirror to see what/who had hit me. All I had was a blurry look at the location where the mirror should have been which puzzled the heck out of me for a moment. After the initial confusion I of course figured it out, but the look on my face must have been priceless before that.

6. Chris says:

Not to mention that it’s illegal to hang things from the rear-view mirror in several states. I’m fairly certain Michigan is one, though I don’t believe it’s a primary offense here, meaning that you have to be doing something else illegal for a cop to pull you over and issue a ticket.

Car and Driver did a test of the hammer-style “escape tools” a while back and found them basically useless. They were unable to break a window *or* cut a seatbelt effectively, even when used by an uninjured person outside the car, unimpeded by a seatbelt or the like. Until someone else reputable does a similar test that demonstrates otherwise, I’ll remain highly skeptical that these things are at all worthwhile.

cl

7. Shalin says:

Copy that guys, but if the same tool – any suggestion where? I’d rather not hang it on my car key chain. Maybe a fastener to the belt clip? hmmm…

In any case, as I said, this new tool is an upgrade with the seatbelt clip.

@ToolGuyd – Yeah…but if someone panicked with saf-t-scissors something injurious would probably also occur. I guess I’d have to take a look at some statistics. I guess the old rule of “if you buy it, know how to use it and approach using it” would apply here.

Best,
    Shalin

8. John Seiffer says:

I don’t understand what scenario I’d be in that I would A) need to and B) be in a condition to use such a tool. Being in a car accident in the first place is such a rare occurance and to be in one that traps me in such a way that I couldn’t undo the seatbelt AND have the strength and agility to use this and what? climb out the window? I guess I wouldn’t have any broken bones and why could I not wait for help? The car would have to be on fire.

Yeah I guess it could happen – but certainly not likely.

9. ToolGuyd says:

Shalin, I suppose you do have a great point there. But in the same sense, unless one does drills and practices use of the tool routinely, understanding how to use it might not mean much when it really counts.

10. browndog77 says:

As a firefighter I would love it if the trained folks (us) were always on hand to extricate those pinned in by a stuck belt or unable to open the door/window, but many times the time factor is against us. The result of an untrained & panicked person using this or any tool would most likely be better than them doing nothing. Buy them & teach your loved ones how to use them!

11. Michael says:

Or you could skip the seat belt. Why waste a perfectly good airbag.

12. Brau says:

At $27 I was expecting a James Bond-like SCUBA for at least a couple minutes, not just a razor, an LED and a metal spike.

13. snoopy says:

Michael has the best idea. Skip your seatbelt and leave the window open, and you can save $27.

If you’re really lucky, you’ll be thrown free of the wreck, and won’t even have to climb out of the window.

14. David Bryan says:

I’ve tried both ways, and I’ve gone out the window. With seat belts is better.

15. Jaxx says:

Just have a knife and one of those penny LED torches on your keyring, the first thing you should be doing in a crash so bad you have to cut yourself out is turning off the ignition, so the second move might as well be to fold out the knife on your keyring.

I always have a knife, but decent cars turn on the interior lights and the hazards, and most decent belts with pretension pyrotechnics always release themselves, at least that was my experience in a 130mph closing speed crash. Can’t comment on being left upside down though touchwood.

16. Barry McMeekan says:

Let’s hope that an accident resulting in occupants being trapped in their seat belts in their vehicle never occurs ..but if it did and the seatbelt release jammed …it is a secure feeling to know that such a tool is within easy reach clipped around the seat belt ( The Exit tool by CRKT)