Scotch® has six new Tough Duct Tapes, pictured above. The Extreme Hold version has a double-thick adhesive layer (sounds like Gorilla Tape), and a temperature range up to 200° F. The Heavy Duty All-Weather has UV resistance and a waterproof backing. The Outdoor Painter’s Clean Removal claims you can take it off cleanly for up to 14 days after application on “most opaque surfaces.” The indoor/outdoor No Residue can be removed without residue after as long as six months, and is designed for securing cords, hanging signage, bundling, and labeling. The Poly Hanging & Tarps has high tensile strength good for general repairs, hanging poly, and securing or repairing tarps. The Transparent is “ideal for discreet repairs,” or for bundling, reinforcing, and securing lightweight loads.

Depending on tape type, prices range from around $6 to more than $10 at most of the big box stores.

Have any Toolmongers tried these yet? How do they compare to alternatives like Gorilla Tape (details here; also see TM 12/30/06), or your basic big-box bargain bin — how’s that for alliteration? — variety?

Scotch® Tough Duct Tape [Manufacturer's Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Scotch Tough Duct Tapes

1. David says:

I wonder if anyone has tried “waterproofing” a plywood canoe or jon boat yet with Gorilla Tape instead of fiberglassing?

I love Gorilla Tape and have used it in marine/wet situations successfully — sounds like the Scotch Waterproof will be another option — hope it’s not black too — I’d like to be able to create some striping on a future boat.

2. Jim says:

Duct Tape can acheive some amazing feats.

See:

Jim

3. Old Coot says:

David: The Mythbuster dudes constructed a boat almost entirely of duct tape and it floated both of them around San Francisco bay without incident or leaks for an hour or so. I’ll try and find a link.

4. Emery says:

I’ve used the Scotch No Residue tape for securing power and microphone cables with very good results. It apparently is like the Gaffer’s Tape that audio pros have used for years, and is a little cheaper – but still a good bit more than a basic roll of duct tape. Worth it to me, when I’m avoiding damage to carpet or instruments.

I haven’t tried the six months claim, but I did leave some stuck to the side of a wooden instrument for two months, and it came off clean.

5. [...] Toolmonger » Blog Archive » Scotch Tough Duct Tapes [...]

6. theeheem says:

I bought a new roll of Scotch Tough Duct Tape, Extreme Hold, color black.
    After taking off two 12″ long strips the black layer delaminated from the
    white sticky undersurface tape. I was unable to use any further since the whole roll was in a state of delamination. Never will use again, and will stick with the gray duct tape I have used successfully for decades.

7. ejt says:

I have had the same problem with delaminating. It’s happened to two rolls, each less than halfway through. I’ve contacted 3M about it and am going to see what they have to say. I’ve always been a big fan of 3M products and am hoping that their customer service comes through with some sort of explanation for this.