You want to start woodworking, but you’re a little intimidated by the number of the tools you’ll need and what it’ll do to your budget. For $300, FootPrint Tools offers a 17-piece woodworking tool kit that’s probably adequate to you get started right away.

The set includes:

• A block plane
  • A bench plane
  • A jack plane
  • A 10-1/2″ carpenter’s bevel
  • A 10-1/2″ square
  • A marking gauge
  • A 4-1/2″ Beechwood mallet
  • Nine wood chisels (1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, 7/8″, 1″, 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″)
  • An adjustable honing guide

The bevel, square, and marking gauge are made from rosewood and brass and the chisels have polypropylene handles.

Although they include a honing guide, Footprint Tools forgot to include some sharpening stones because you’re probably going to want to flatten and resharpen the cutting edges and the soles of the planes straight out of the box. Not to mention, given the low price, the steel they use in these tools probably won’t hold an edge for very long, so you’ll need to touch them up often to keep them in good working order. Think of it as an opportunity to hone your honing skills.

If you think $300 is a lot of money to spend, just remember you can drop this much money or more on just one power tool. As your skill improves you can replace the individual tools you use regularly in this set with quality tools.

*Footprint Tools [Website]
Woodworking Set [Eagle America]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

*While the Footprint Tool site doesn’t list the woodworking set, you can find descriptions of the included tools listed separately.

Tagged with:

9 Responses to Woodworking Tool Set For Getting Started

1. ToolGuyd says:

That looks like a decent array of tools for a starter set, but the price isn’t that much lower than for Footprint’s separate mini-sets of planes, chisels, and layout tools.

2. Rembreto says:

I would recommend dropping half of those chisels and with the money you save get a saw — like maybe a two sided Dozuki. I just bought one at Lowe’s for ~$25, rips with one side and crosscuts with the other…. my .02¢

3. fred says:

I’m not sure about the quaility of the planes. While your thought about upgrading as your skills improve – is a fair one – a poor plane may be so frustrating to use that it would make a beginner give up. The beginner – might be better served to look for an old Stanley No4 bedtock plane – and learn how to tune it up. Fewer better quality chisels (with a commitment to learning how to sharpen and use them) – might also better serve the novice woodworker who wants to take a “hand-tool” approach. I do note that the set provides a chisel sharpening jig – and I suppose the expect that you will either provide soem waterstones or go the sandpaper on glass route for sharpening.

4. Forde says:

The beginning woodworker would have little use for most of those tools – would be far better off getting benchtop table saw, drill/driver, tape measure/rule, one or two chisels, a square, and perhaps a sabre saw. After the “beginner’ gets better, he/she can then start acquiring planes, marking gauges, and bevel gauges (hell, I’ve been a woodworker for 40 years and still don’t have – or need a bevel gauge!). Hey Fred – good luck finding that Bedrock #4 (actually, it would be a #604)!

5. mr. man says:

learn to rebuild a $5 garage sale plane, start your claw hammer collection, loose the wood mallet..I mean really a mallet?, use a few cheap Stanley chisels until you learn how not to break them, hearing and eye protection, save up for quality power tools

6. ShopMonger says:

Forde: I would say that is true only if you really want to learn in that direction, many people believe learning with hand tools first is the way to go. I might point all of you in the direction of Mattsbasementworkshop.com and listen to his recent podcast with Hendrick Varhu (sorry about spelling) they talk about woodworking education and give some great insight into this topic.

Mr. Man !! totally agree with you, learning to rebuild, and hone your own tools is a skill that will always serve you well. I run a wood working company, and i think this is the best way to go. I use Groz and Footprint and Stanley planes,. NO Leigh-Nielsen or Veritas, not because they are bad, but because i can get great results with these lower models and spend Tons less.

BEN: I think this a great example of a starter set… I think it may be more fun to choose your own parts, but for a beginner that wants to get started and not spend all the time researching i think this is a great set, then to get fast at sharpening go to a local woodworking club and see if someone would be willing to help you learn to hone….i will bet you will always find someone. Wood workers love to teach thier craft….heck if anyone is in NJ i will help them….. Shopmonger@gmail.com

ShopMonger..

P>S> Fred is not kidding, a bad plane = lots of swearing

7. paganwonder says:

Agree with fred- better tools make a better student. Cheap/bad tools are difficult to be successful with.

8. johnnyp says:

I come from a long line of professional woodworkers. What worked for gramps didn’t work for dad and what worked for dad doesn’t cut it for me. I have no where near the skills these two had so I am constantly looking for better and easy ways of doing things. I refuse to buy kits like this one simply because I won’t use half the stuff. I buy piece meal, when I need it , I buy it and not junk either.
    The best tool I own is my dad’s table saw he purchased in 49′, his first purchase when he went out on his own.A quality made saw that is accurate and versatile to this day. I am also in possession of many of their hand tools , almost all are Stanley except for profile planes that were hand made by gramps, dad used a router .For sharpening they both used a fine file and a wet stone, scary sharp edges
    Bottom line , the end justifies the means

9. James says:

I don’t know about the planes, but Footprint chisels are a superb buy if you’re on a tight budget.