Winter’s in full swing and it’s time for all the wacky shovel designs to make their appearance. The SNO-Easy shovel looks like another beaut. You wince when you hear the commercial because the stereotypical infomercial announcer’s voice reminds you of such products as the Egg Wave or Liquid Leather. The only thing that’s missing is a jingle from Linda Ronstadt — It’s SNO-Easy to fall in love. It’s SNO-Easy…

Putting aside the bad marketing, the concept behind the SNO-Easy is that you don’t have to bend over to use it. A second handle attaches to the shaft near the shovel head with a pivoting hinge. With this configuration you can lift the snow closer to the load without bending. Then twisting both handles and swinging your arms throws the snow. The head of the shovel is smaller so you can’t load as much snow, but the makers claim you still can shovel faster than with a conventional shovel.

The second handle adjusts in length to accommodate the user and folds down against the primary handle for compact storage. The SNO-Easy is made from steel tubing and has a plastic scoop with a metal strip on the edge of the shovel.

The SNO-Easy can be yours all for one easy payment of $30 plus shipping and handling.

Snow Easy [Corporate Site]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

20 Responses to It’s SNO-Easy

1. KMR says:

As an upstate NY’er, always looking for a way to reduce the amount of time I have to move snow, I can’t tell you how dumb that snow shovel is.

I wonder if Black & Decker makes an Auto-Shovel for snow? ;-)

2. Mike47 says:

Where’s the laser?

3. DiscoBubba says:

Or just go the even easier route and pick up a Power Shovel, Snow Thrower (single stage), or Snow Blower (two stage). I’m lookin at getting the latter myself, just can’t decide on what kind of good used one to go for.

You can pick up the smaller, lighter types pretty cheap and easy. Especially after the winter season when they go on clearance. Of course they typically don’t throw anything too deep.

4. fred says:

@DiscoBubba

If the snow isn’t deep enough for us to star using the ASV (Skid Steer) – our recently acquired (Lowes) Troy Built – works great to clear most of the yard.

This replaced an Ariens that worked fine until it got smashed.

5. mr. man says:

Previous home owner left me one of these bent handled turds when they moved out. Same idea, made just about as much sense. What a complete waste of $30.

6. Dan says:

http://www.opeonthenet.com/ bills themselves as “The Best
    Snowblower & Lawnmower Forum” with reviews of various equipment.

I’ve found good info there to keep my 30+ year old Toro Snohound chewing through the drifts like a champ.

7. David Bryan says:

That looks a lot easier on the joints to me. That might be a little more important than some of you think. I don’t know how well this snow-shovel gizmo is made, but I think it looks like a really good idea.

8. Cameron Watt says:

Stick with a simple snow shovel. I sometimes work on a snow removal crew and we only use basic push-type shovels. Those guys spend a lot of time thinking about how to do it better and there are no gimmicky shovels to be found. My personal preference is that if it’s very heavy snow, I like to use a grain shovel.

9. tim says:

What works best for me is the 15 year old boy next door who’s saving for his first car.

10. jeff says:

Gimmick shovels have no place at my house. If the snow is light I slap two push shovels together and run them like a plow. Otherwise I take out my toro S200 and let the 2-smoke tear it up. The toro is older than I am but it still runs like a champ. I’ve only had to replace a plug and the plastic starter gear. Otherwise just load it with premix and go.

11. Nick says:

I had a chance to use it during last snowfall. The idea behind this is sound, and it does make for easier manual throwing – you don’t have to bend to grab the shovel closer to where the weight is. I had to clean a couple of parking spots and a small backyard, and did not get any back aches after that, unlike with straight shovel last year.

It is poorly made though, and the joint between the fixed shaft and the moving one broke pretty quickly. I repaired it with some zip-ties and finished the shoveling.

It should be pretty easy to retrofit a regular shovel by attaching a rope with a handle close to the shovel’s head.

12. rev dr earl shute jr says:

where can i purchase the sno easy shovel

13. Liam Quin says:

As far as I can tell the company went out of a business, which is a shame because my partner and I used these shovels for several years, and (despite what KMR says!) they were absolutely the best show shovels we ever encountered.

14. Jon Doe says:

I’m sad to say my sno-easy shovel broke after about 10 years of use. I’d love to find another (or about 10 more of them if I could).

15. KV says:

I bought this shovel at Menards while my husband was deployed ten years ago (never saw any ads), and it is the best thing ever! I live in MinneSNOWta and I never have to bend over or strain when I use it. I will be devastated if or when it ever breaks, since it appears that they are no longer available.

16. dc.sunsets says:

I bought one of these at a Home Depot years and years ago and would like to buy another.

I live in No. IL and find it easier to shovel most snow than to fire up a snow blower. Mostly I use a 36″ pusher, but when the piles get larger or what I must move is heavy, I use the Sno-Easy. It picks up a smaller footprint so it doesn’t get crazy-heavy. I move a lot of snow this way, especially down where the plows pile it at the foot of my driveway. It’s a specialty tool to me, but very useful. I wish someone would license the patent and produce it.

17. rigormortis says:

For those comparing this to other ineffective shovels, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. I have back issues and have tried lots of shovels over the years. This is the only one I can use for more than a few minutes at a time without putting my back into excruciating pain for the rest of the day. Unfortunately it seems that good design doesn’t trump business realities and I can’t find a replacement now that mine broke. Maybe that’s part of their problem – mine lasted for 8 years before I needed a replacement.

18. Jeff Lada says:

I bought one of these about 10 yrs ago at home depot and as soon as I tried it I went out and bought 2 more. Wish I would have bought 10 – no back ache at all.

19. Peter Young says:

I have one and it works great. I have a snow blower but this is good for smaller backyard areas for the dog (Yorkie) and sidewalks and steps. It does save on your back. My daughter recently bought a house and it’s too bad the company is out of business as someone above mentioned. So I’m going to try this on a regular shovel. I’m going to get one of those rubber dog toys that’s shaped like a figure 8 and attach it near the base of a shovel with a hose clamp. I figure I’ll give it a try and see how it works.