…the cordless pet nail grooming rotary tool! Seriously, will Dremel ever fail to think of a new application for this cool little AA-powered version of the classic home-shop standby? Usually we see the orange version appear around Halloween time, packaged with some cutters as a pumpkin carving set. And you’ll certainly find other variants as well.

But does it work grooming dog nails? I can’t say. I have cats, and this wouldn’t work at all for them. Personally I’d be a little concerned that if Fido flinched he’d get nicked by the grinding wheel. And then there’s the heat. That said, however, Amazon customers seem about evenly split between five, four, and one star ratings. The most common complaints included excessive nail dust and short battery life.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Street pricing starts around $22.

Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Tool [Dremel]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

9 Responses to And This Year’s Holiday Dremel Is…

1. Adam says:

Well, my friend uses a regular corded Dremel to trim the nails on her two Vizlas and her Labradoodle, and it works well. If you go too far you nip the cuticle and it bleeds a little, but it’s easy to work with the Dremel so that doesn’t happen much.

2. Galadriel says:

One of my dogs started yelping when having her nails cut a few months ago, so I started using my mini rotary tool instead. It works well to grind their nails down. I’m not using the above battery-powered tool, but rather some $1 ebay special with a cord.

Yes, there’s dust, but I’d be clipping nails outside anyway. If I keep the nails trimmed down, I don’t get significant heat before I’m done each time. I’ve developed some clumsiness due to some neuro thing; I haven’t hurt either the dogs or myself when my hand slips and I end up bouncing the sanding wheel against their paw or my own hand. Their paws are a lot more protected than my bare skin, in fact.

I don’t know why you’d think this wouldn’t work for cats. You can clip their nails; you ought to be able to grind them.

3. fred says:

It must be a Christmas thing – but last year I bought my wife a Dremel to trim the dog’s nails. I got a 2nd battery and some extra packs of sanding sleeves – so convinced was I from what I read on the web about how effective this was for the purpose:

and how much better this model was compared to single purpose pet nail rotary tools.

We read all the comments and how-to suggestions about use and acclimating your dog etc. in the pet-only tool books – but I guess our big old Lab wasn’t buying any of this since he freaks out the minute the tool starts whirring away. We’re back to nail trimming with a shears made for the purpose.

4. Jerry says:

I have the cordless dremel – the more costly device that is rechargable – and use it for a lot of tasks but not for nail grooming. I have cats and none of them remain in the room the moment they hear the tool whirring. They flee as fast from that as from the vacuum cleaner! I would think the heat build up would be a big concern. That could easily burn the poor dog or cat toes. My cats keep their own nails appropriately trimmed by using the scratching posts that I have all over the house. The sisal rope ones work the best and the cats seem to like them better than the carpet ones.

5. Greg A. says:

I work at a public aquarium and we use our regular dremal on penguin nails. They are just great at repackaging their product and having you buy one for a specific purpose even though it’s a do-all tool

6. I tried using my Dremal on our dogs, but they didn’t like it. Of course, they don’t like when we use the nail clippers either. My Malamute takes two people to do it. One to hold her down and the other to clip her. :)

7. SharkBreath says:

Trimming our 5 mutts’ nails is faster and less traumatic since we got the Dremel.

8. KMR says:

I can’t wait for the Home Dentistry Kit from Dremel for Christmas 2010!

9. Newguytoo says:

Used the Dremel on our Dobermans’ nails since 1975 on the advice of our breeder. It always was a team operation. I held them down while my wife did an excellent show-dog trim. We had to resort to Thorazine every once in a while on our first dog, though!