Everybody’s trying to come up with the next gotta-have-it multi-tool like the try-square. Great Neck Saw’s attempt packs 10 measuring tools in one device. The Mayes Squangle is basically a square with an extra adjustable arm that swings from 45° to 90° and locks with two thumbscrews. To increase their tool count, they threw in a bubble vial.

Great Neck Saws wins bonus points by actually listing all ten uses without making us guess and without splitting hairs, unlike some other multi-tools.  It can be used as a:

1. Square
  2. Rafter square
  3. Protractor
  4. Level
  5. T-square
  6. Sight plumb
  7. Straight edge
  8. Layout jig
  9. Pitch finder
  10. Ruler

While the Squangle may be of dubious utility, at least it won’t cost you a ton of money to give it a try — it runs anywhere from $9 to $14 before shipping. They include an instruction book to make sure you get the most out of your purchase.

Squangle [Great Neck Saw]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

16 Responses to The Squangle: Yet Another Measuring Multi-Tool

1. aaron says:

i find it hard to believe they could pack all that into one tool! a ruler AND a straight edge??? i find that hard to believe. let alone rafter square, protractor AND pitch finder. yikes, this is one mighty weapon!

2. aaron says:

the main thing is, is it actually square? for the price, i’d say its doubtful, and that throws off all the other measurements.

3. Dave P says:

Where’s the laser?

4. Chad says:

Benjamen, does it meet your gotta-have-it criteria?

5. @Chad:

To be honest, no, not really, but I liked the name Squangle.

But if I was putting together a go-bag, I might consider it over a try-square. (I’m not a really big fan of try-squares, then again I’ve only ever owned cheap ones.)

6. @aaron:

When companies claim that a lanyard, belt clip, or a carrying case are a tool or function, I’ll take a straight-edge and ruler any day.

7. fred says:

Before there were lasers (e.g. Bosch and Dewalt) for squaring tile layouts – we used big 3-4-5 triangles like that made by CH Hason (BTW we still do). As Aaron says – the critical question about such a layout tool is ” is it square ” – and I would add “does it stay square after regular use.” Some of the big triangles out there have a problem with sloppy joints at the folding point – that throw things off.

8. mr man says:

Hardly a new idea. Picked one up at a sale years ago. I actually use it as much as I do my Swanson speed square. Or, when a carpenter’s square is too big. The thumb screws (although easy to adjust) tend to fall off unless you peen the carriage bolt threads. Definitely home owner quality.

9. David Bryan says:

I’ve had one about twenty years at least. Maybe 25. It ain’t bad.

10. [...] of multi-tools (e.g., TM 11/20/09), I just saw the Level Best2 in one of those card pack mailers — PRODUCTS FOR WOODWORKERS. [...]

11. troy says:

can someone help me find the origanol i will pay top dollar for one that is mint made of all aluminum and has the level !!! also caqn you help me find a metal i think its aluminum made and it was the holster holding it to the tool belt .please belp me find this wonderful tool really if you have one i will buy it from you .troy

12. Charlie Smith says:

Squangles have been around for a long time. I know he had one in 1970 and may have had it before then.

13. Ross Smith says:

I use one bought by my dad in 1965. It’s better for precision cabinetry than basic framing – the measurements are much more precise than a basic speed square. Currently using it to set 6degree angle cuts at the table saw on one end of a set of planks, then will use it to notch the other end of the planks also at 6degrees. The cuts line up perfectly every time.

14. mack says:

can any one put up the instructions. thanks mack