The Black & Decker Mastercart (model 17330605) is a slightly redesigned version of the Keter Mastercart that I bought several years ago at either Kmart or Walmart (mostly different colored trim: mine is gray, and the B&D’s is orange). Mine has held up well, although I have not abused it much: it mainly holds the tools, cords, wires, and so on that I use when working on computers or electronics around the house. The B&D is 18″ × 10.6″ × 24.4″ with a fold-down handle. The upper tool box, which detaches from the lower tool box, has a removable organizer on its front and two lidded compartments on its top. Both the upper and lower boxes have removable trays.

This wheeled tool box is more vertical than the Stanley Mobile Storage Tool Chest (see TM 1/16/09), and doesn’t open up like the Stanley FatMax 4-in-1 Mobile Work Station (see TM 2/28/08). I don’t know how the B&D compares to the Stanley models in durability. Prices for the B&D start around $51.

What do you think of the B&D Mastercart? Let us know in comments.

Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

Tagged with:

9 Responses to Hot Or Not? Black & Decker Mastercart Tool Box

1. jeffrey immer says:

my thought has always been that they would not hold up well with any weight in them, and someone needs to seriously redesign the wheels on tack boxes and toolboxes like these, with a ground clearance of about 1 inch they are worthless on anything but smooth surfaces

2. fred says:

I’ve always thought of these as tool cases for service technicians and folks who repair things in offices – rather than for use in the construction trades. I’ve seen some nifty Pelican Cases :

These may be better made than the typical offerings from Israeli plastic fabricators like Keter and Zag (Stanley) – but they are likely to be pricier and no better suited to construction site use. BTW – I think that both Keter and Zag products are often re-branded with house names for sale in big box stores.

At the other end of the spectrum – we use Knack Boxes that we sometimes roll around with a forklift – but more often pick up with a crane or backhoe and plant or even bolt them down in place.

3. Eric says:

I have the Stanley FatMax Work Station, and I am very pleased with it. I have to do cabinet installations for my company about once every other month, and I can throw EVERYTHING I need (drill, sawzall, extension cords, batteries and chargers, etc.) into the unit, roll it out and lift it into my truck, and then roll it into the jobsite. I’ve rolled it over and off sidewalk curbs into parking lots, over speed bumps, and many a door threshold. Granted, those aren’t unpaved jobsites, but if I was working there, I’d get something different. When I’m not on an installation, I leave the whole thing loaded and in my shop. I admit that the retractable handle feels lightweight, but so far (over 2 years of use), it has held up.

4. Flabby Boohoo says:

Hot.

I have a generic version that my wife bought for me about ten years ago from K-Mart. I use it as the winter, indoor toolbox so I don’t have to go out to the garage for drills, bits, screwdrivers etc. Things that I generally need to do work around the house over the winter. I keep it in the basement, and wheel it around the house where ever the work is needed.

I also use it when going over to family or friends to help with any work.

5. Dennis says:

The comment above about rolling best on smooth surfaces is true, although I did drag one filled with about 40 lbs of stuff in it through gravel and it sort of rolled on the two back wheels. I’ve found them to be pretty durable (I’ve even used it as a seat. Definitely not recommended by the manufacturer, but it supported my 200+lb weight multiple times), and I found mine at Ace Hardware for $35. I use one at my church to hold all the tools, spare cables, etc. for the sound system and another at home to hold general home repair tools (handy when I need to help out a friend at their house). I also recently bought a third that I plan on turning into a portable computer/electronics repair kit. It’s not for every task or situation, but it’s very rugged and versatile overall.

6. cjd says:

I’ve had that same toolbox since 02. Great toolbox to roll around for punchlist work. I just wish the handle was longer.

7. Coligny says:

I have the same since last year, unbranded, got it for 2500 yens. Best 2500 yens spend ever.

Think I will buy some more If I found any but this hardware shop was kinda sorta lost in da woods… The top bucket can hold anything and more that also need small bits to go with. Bottom one for bulkier/heavier stuff.

Still can’t figure out what the 4 side T hooks on the top box are for. The bottom box have a handy powercord holder on the back side. Really practical. Thumbs up big time.

8. rjerryc says:

I find that the clear plastic drawers seem to break on evry variety of these things I have ever seen or owned.
    Now, if I had the cash, I’d be excited about the Mobile-Shop! I don’t think anyone is shelling out a little over four grand for me for Christmas this year though.

9. Hoffman Wentzel says:

The B&D mastercart has plastic snaps holding the top lid in place, and plastic snaps securing the two boxes/sections together. I would replace both sets with metal ones, as mine have broken. It’s just bad design to think that thin little plastic securing snaps can hold hte weight of a heavily laden bottom section. I bought a second mastercart, by GRIP, which has metal snaps on the top, but amazingly, not the ones securing the two halves, where strength is most needed. If one moves the cart along an even floor it’s fine, but as a picture-hanger I have to schlep the cart up stairs sometimes. I also agree with the guy who said the ground clearance is insufficient.also, I recommend a rubber wheel in front, replacing the dinky plastic one that wears down very quickly.