I dunno; it’s just something about seeing monster versions of standard kitchen tools that I find fascinating. Every so often, while channel surfing, I catch some show with people either using or making commercial or industrial sized things like mixers, and I think how neat it would be to have one of them. I don’t know what the heck I would do with it — except maybe make enough pizza dough for a year — but the idea still appeals. Part of it is that they somehow take me back to my early youth and watching Industry On Parade on Sundays.

This post was triggered by seeing a reference to the KitchenAid time line, and its note about the early (1908!) development of the stand mixer including being listed as “regular equipment” on all U.S. Navy ships by 1917.

Admit it — isn’t there a little voice in your head telling you how cool it would be to have a 140-quart floor mixer in the kitchen — or even the garage — to mix up a big batch of something?

Industry On Parade Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Hobart [Manufacturer's Site]

Tagged with:

11 Responses to It’s Just Cool: Hobart Monster Mixers

1. dijital101 says:

Is it just me or do the dials look like eyes?

2. Eli says:

Is this the same Hobart that makes welders?

3. Toolhearty says:

…development of the stand mixer including being listed as “regular equipment” on all U.S. Navy ships …

Reminds me of the time my Father and I toured a WWII destroyer (he was stationed on one during that war). Everything went fine until we got to the galley and he got into a stare-down with the huge tray-washing machine. I think they knew each other from before.

4. Gene says:

This is similar to what we used to make pizza dough at Godfather’s Pizza when I worked there YEARS ago. We’d dump in a 50+ lb. bag of dough mix, add the water, then let it run. There was not a “fence” on the one we used. One young man almost lost his arm when he reached in to get the dough out before the dough hook had come to a complete stop. He had to be taken to the ER and there was some pretty extensive muscle damage. I can’t recall whether there were any broken bones, though.

5. Ben says:

Rad! I love Toolmonger and I have been selling these (and other commercial cooking equipment) for like 6 years. The Hobart Mixers are *really* nice. They have a great resale value too. Even really old ones.

6. dano says:

I’ll stick to my 6qt Kitchen Aid…At least the bowl fits in the dishwasher…

7. kyle says:

i alwaze thought this stuff was made by the hobart that makes welders

8. Scott says:

Talk about old machines: we once helped restore a motor for a dough mixer in a local bagel shop. Trying to get info on the motor itself, we called the manufacturer. They explained that the warehouse burned down in 1912 and all early records were lost, but a rough guess from the serial # set the date of the motor around 1910! A local motor shop fixed the winding and we reinstalled it without a hitch. The bagel shop closed some years later, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find this century plus machine is still mixing dough somewhere else.

9. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

I can see this in the shop for those small concrete repair jobs – or maybe mixing the hardener into the epoxy body putty.
    Maybe fill it with small pebbles and use it for deburring metal?

10. Montana-Rock says:

These mixers are used to mix asphalt in labs to perform tests on small batches.