While delving into some metal working sites I came across these cool-looking tools for forming sheet metal: forming stakes. The above catalog picture shows some of the many shaped heads that are available for creating different shapes.

These Pexto sheet metal forming stakes from Roper Whitney are made from forged steel or cast iron.  They fit into a socket on either a free-standing stake holder or a bench plate.

Forming stakes don’t come cheap — you’ll see a variety of stakes or heads individually priced from $100 to $400.¬†Sets with holders are available, but given the individual pricing, the set pricing is going to be steep.

Forming Stakes [Roper Whitney]
Bench Dollies [TM Technologies]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Forming Stakes [What’s This?] [Amazon Search]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Stakes For Forming Sheet Metal

1. Jaxx says:

A a version of the 901 with a shorter flat workspace does me proud at work, no need for a dedicated holder either simply clamp in a big vice and work away.

2. fred says:

If you are setting up a hand working metal shop – you might also wish to have an Acorn Paleten and its jigging:

3. TMIB_Seattle says:

I have a version of the 925.

See here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/2184258571_cc72f951f4.jpg
    (note that you would not use it in the hardy hole like that, it was just a convenient place to snap the picture.)

It’s a handy way to get an extra “anvil horn”. I’ll chuck it in one of the post vises with the skinny horn perpendicular to the axis of the jaws. It’s pretty handy when I’m teaching the scouts so they don’t crowd up waiting to use the horn on the actual anvil.

–TMIB

4. Mike Rock says:

Hi,
    Just found this while searching for a holder for the 964 set. I found the whole set in a scrap heap at an auction. Darn base might have been sold in a bucket and I didn’t see it.

God bless.