Not that I’m gonna trade in my trusty old pickup anytime soon, but it’s nice to know there are interesting alternatives. The Bloodhound SuperSonic Car, or SSC — it’s the one on the left above, in case you were wondering — is designed to do better than 1,000 mph (faster than a speeding bullet: specifically, a .357 that plods along at 971 mph). Its jet engine will take it up to 350 mph, and then its hybrid rocket engine will ignite to crank it up to 1,000 mph or more. Cost estimate is $15M.

On the other hand, both speed and money wise, there’s the Wheego Whip, which kinda looks like a Smart Car, but — IMHO — has a much better name. For $19,000 — ouch! but at least the payments will be lower than on $15M — you’ll get an all-electric, street-legal LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) that can be charged from a standard household electrical outlet and go 35-40 miles on a single charge (the 2010 model is expected to increase the range to 100 miles).

Bloodhound SSC [Manufacturer's Site]
Wheego Whip [Manufacturer's Site]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Go Fast Or Save Gas?

1. There’s only one way to go and that is fast.

2. kyle says:

the bloodhound uses a V12 from an aston martin for a fuel pump so definitallygo fast

3. Toolhearty says:

Lessee… If I had to die in either one of these deathtraps, I think I’d rather go out screaming YEEEEEEEHA!!!, so I’ll go with fast.

4. Joe C. says:

On the one hand, we have Kobe beef, it’s tasty, and expensive. On the other, we have a veggie burger, it’s cheap, and tastes like, well, you know.

5. Adam R says:

Or you can compare all electric to all electric.

314 MPH powered by C-cells.

6. Choscura says:

call me crazy, but i’ll go with that little dinky car. set up a small windmill and you’ve got a free ride for the rest of your life- so, at 15,000 + the price of that wind mill (just an alternator, a propeller, a power regulator and a batter that it charges, really), how long before you’ve saved more on gas than you spent on the car?

7. David Bryan says:

Choscura, I’m with you on principle, but no little windmill setup is going to keep that vehicle charged up.