Who doesn’t need more space in their garage?  Whether it’s that extra car that sits outside, all your lawn care equipment, snowmobiles, or ATV’s, there never seems to be enough room for it all.  With these four-post lifts from Dannmar you can recover that wasted space above your vehicles to store your stuff.  Hell, you could even set up your shop on the lift and raise it out of the way when you need to park your vehicle — how sweet would that be?

The D-7 lift measures 105″ (8’9″) wide and 204″ (17′) long, so it should fit into a standard parking space, while the D-7X is wider at 117″ (9’9″).  These 7′ tall lifts will raise stuff a little over 6′ in the air, so  you need to make sure your vehicle fits underneath and factor in how tall your stuff is to make sure you have enough vertical space.

According to the information on Costco’s site you don’t need a special foundation to use the free-standing lift, but I can’t find any confirmation on Dannmar’s site.  Either lift can hoist up to 7,000 pounds, and once it’s up, ten spring-loaded safety locks on each column makes sure it stays there.  The standard 110V AC electric motor/hydraulic power system raises the lift in 45 to 60 seconds.

The D-7 lift starts at $1,700 and the D-7X starts at $1,900, which is a whole lot cheaper than adding on to your garage or building an outbuilding.  You can even buy the D-7 from Costco.

Four-Post Lifts [Dannmar]
Street Pricing [Google]
Four-Post Lift [Costco]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

13 Responses to Add More Parking Space To Your Garage

1. Jason says:

Nah, this is what you need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBPrQuL_piI

The cars would be nice to have too.

2. Jaxx says:

I would always worry if you put something older up top that it would drip on the one below, nobody seems to do trays or anything for these things so you would have to stretch a tarp across or something. Not very elegant.

3. Patrick says:

What about the garage door? You would be limited to how high you could go.

4. @Patrick: Kill my dream why don’t you.

You have a point there. When open my garage door is 7′ off the ground and there’s only 15′ from the front of my garage to the point where the garage door stops. I have one of the deeper garages in my neighborhood, so I’m guessing this isn’t going to work for a lot of people.

I guess you’d need a deeper garage, or one of those roll up garage doors.

5. NickC says:

Jaxx, if you look at the costco link and then More Views, it looks like there is a silver insert between the black rails that would keep drips off the lower car.

6. cc says:

running out of parking space for my porsche and my seven series is a problem i wouldn’t mind having one day.

7. Jim says:

This is great for the car collector or for a car occasionally used. Shuffling cars to get to the car on top is a pain.

I could see this used to benefit the spaced constraint woodworking. Build a nice flat floor, mount your shop equipment in the top slot and put removable fence around the sides. When the weekend arrives, pull the car out and lower the shop into position.

Jim

8. Toolaremia says:

@Benjamen: Just park the lowrider on the bottom and you won’t have to raise the Deuce Coupe very far. Also back the Deuce in and there will probably be enough room in front of the windshield to clear the door.

;)

9. Michael says:

Thanks for the link to the driveway elevator. Hadn’t seen one of those before. Hope they have it waterproofed WELL–would not be a nice day to see your 2 expensive cars sitting in a hole that has flooded.

10. Patrick says:

Wrong number of wheels on that there vehicle.

Motorcycles. Nifty way to keep about 8 handy.

Without worryin’ too much about the height, esp. if you run towards collector bikes.

11. ChrisW says:

They also sell a jack platform to use the lift for servicing the car.

12. Ben H says:

I’m with “cc”, If I could have a Porshe and Beamer a extra parking spot would not be my concern. More like where to keep my Lambo.

13. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

Really nice for working on the underside! Even though you can slide under a car raised on normal jackstands, being able to walk under it (OK, bent over a bit) really makes a big difference!