We’ve covered hammers that allow you to start nails without holding ‘em with your other hand, here and here.  Olympia Tool’s new nail-holding hammer stands out because it’s not an “As seen on TV” product and you won’t have to take out a small home improvement loan to buy one.

Olympia makes the hammer head from drop-forged alloy steel and then hardens and tempers it.  They bond the handle to the head with epoxy, and they make the cushion grip by means of a double-injection process.  As for starting nails, the magnetic slot on top of the hammer head accepts 3D to 6D nails and finishing nails.

Olympia Tool also makes heavier framing hammers with the magnetic nail slot, but you can buy the pictured 16oz. claw hammer for $12.

Nail-Holding Hammer [Olympia Tool]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

14 Responses to Olympia Tool’s Nail-Holding Hammer

1. fred says:

Certainly a reasonable price. Some of my guys – probably influenced by watching Tom Silva on TOH use one – wanted a Douglas Framer. These do bite into the mortgage payment a bit:

2. Michael says:

Looks to me like it makes the sweet spot a bit smaller. I don’t really see this one in the ol’ tool bag… If I can’t get to it with two hands, I don’t really want to be hammering it…

3. Murph says:

Isn’t Douglas now defunct? I’m still trying to find a new framer…

4. Murph says:

Nevermind!

5. Spork says:

Stanley Fatmax hammers also have this, it’s not exactly the same, but it’s a magnetic nail holder, plus they’re great hammers.

6. Frank Townend says:

Maybe a ladder is called for?

7. David Bryan says:

It’s a little tricky, but any curved claw hammer will hold a nail while you start it.

8. @David Bryan:

I’m not questioning that you can do it, but would you mind telling me how, I’ve never seen the technique. The only way I can think of involves two hammers.

9. David Bryan says:

Turn it around, use the claw. It takes a little getting used to, but it’s an old, old trick.

10. Chris says:

What David Bryan says. You wedge the nail down in the claw with the head of the nail on the backside of the neck, perpendicular to the handle. With the right hammer you can hold most any size nail.
    Does take a fair amount of practice, but nifty to be able to do.

11. dom says:

The guy in the first foto demonstrates the two most important things about hammering nails:

1) Always position yourself to REACH as far as possible when nailing, preferably while standing on tippie toes. This is particularly true when working on scaffolding.

2) NEVER wear safety glasses. You always want a clear shot to your eyeballs for any nail that goes flying off instead of straight into the wood.

Olympia should market this hammer as the one to use when too drunk to stand on a ladder.

And why not a 3 ft. telescoping handle so you can REALLY reach those inaccesible spots?

Myself I prefer to start nails with a blowgun. Then throw the hammer at it.

12. Stephen K says:

I have a few hammers with the nail-start (including the stanley antivibe already mentioned) and I really like them. I think it’s strange, though, that they’re marketed for getting to hard to reach spots. I really don’t think that that’s where I get the most out of them. I like them mainly for the time it can save when doing things like decking a roof or constructing walls (I know many will be quick to say that they would use an air nailer, but we do it by hand). It is a lot faster just to slap a 16 in the slot than it is to bend down and set it.

13. Shelley Altmeyer says:

Did you ever think that perhaps some do it yourselfers might only have one arm? Or in my case a quadriplegic with limited use of hands. I have to hold things with two hands. I don’t have another hand to hold a nail. I think it’s a wonderful idea. If you come up with a better idea let me know.We disabled people enjoy home projects.

14. Dave says:

Right on Shelly. I can not raise my left hand over my head due to an injury. I think this hammer will help me a lot.