I’ve been cleaning up all the tools for the ShopSmith, and it’s an uphill battle — however, the process got a little more interesting when I got to the scroll saw and found out it’s the only attachment that’s not SS-branded.  It was obviously made to work with the ShopSmith since it sports the telltale driveshaft that hooks into the headstock, but this is the first time I’ve run across a Dunlop brand power tool.

It’s still got oil in it, though as you can see from the pictures, some has leaked out over the years.  Other than some rust it still looks good, too, and it’ll look better after a good cleaning.  My Dremel scroll saw has a deeper throat by almost a foot, so it’ll see most of the action in the shop.  But I’ll give the Dunlop a go or two, for no other reason than it’s old and interesting.

Does anyone know anything about these old units, like when they were made and what other products were in the line?  Let us know in comments.

13 Responses to Old Dunlop Scroll Saw

1. Phutney says:

Sure it’s not a Dunlap? Looks like a retrofit. Replaced the original pulley with the ShopSmith driveshaft, perhaps. The Old Woodworking Machines list has a few that look quite like this, model number range: 103-2179x

Here’s one example http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=7073

2. vpmuff says:

I have a Dunlap scroll saw that looks just like the one in your picture except with a pulley at the end of the shaft. This was a low end Craftsman, similar to what Companion is being marketed as now at the sears stores. Sears sold a line of 3 or 4 scroll saws back in the 50′s/60′s. The smallest was under the Dunlap brand. The larger ones were Craftsman. This particular piece was made for Sears by King Seeley, the casting division of GM. As said above, most likely customized to work with a SS.

3. toby fuller says:

I have one of these in running condition and still in use. I would like to find a manual for this saw. Any ideas?

Thanks for the information provided. It’s great to see some of the old tools still bring used.

4. Joe Samrow, Jr. says:

I have a saw that looks very much like the one posted. The color of mine is a gold/tan color rather than blue. I was using it until yesterday when it started knocking and the blade travel reduced to almost nothing. I took it apart and found the set screw on the inside shaft/cam had loosened. I cleaned it up. I took all the old oil out and a layer of sawdust sludge out of the reservoir. That’s How I got here. I was trying to find information on a Dunlap Model 103 2179. What I need help on and it sounds foolish, but what oil should I use in the thing. I would guess a straight 30 weight motor oil, but wanted to be sure as my guess is based on no scientific test other than it looks somewhat like the inside of an old small engine crankcase. Any info on this tool would be appreciated.

5. Robert Beach says:

I have one of these saws and it also has a pulley. Picked it up at a junk store for 15 bucks. I have pulled everything apart and cleaned it up, built a stand for it and am using it in my shop now. Works great except for the leaks. I need to either make some new seals for it or see if I can buy some.

• Robert Beach says:

Joe Samrow, Jr.

I haven’t got a clue about the oil. I couldn’t find anything on it as of so far so I have Type A transmission fluid in it at the moment, but 30 weight sounds like a better idea.

6. Andy Barrowman says:

I have one that I picked up in a garage sale about twenty years ago. It needs a motor. How many strokes per minute should I run it at?

1032179 still produces a parts list and (very bad) diagram on Sears parts website. None of the special parts are available of course.

7. Eric Gunderson says:

Hello,
    I have a Dunlap sroll saw which looks just like the photo above. It is model 103 2178. It was my Dad’s and I remember using it as a kid. I must have broken 100 blades back in the 1950′s. I want to fix it up for my grandson. Anybody know where to get blades?
    Eric

• Al says:

I have one of the same model, bought in the 50′s also. I bought blades for a hand coping saw that fit the Dunlap. Am looking for a manual.

8. teofilo amor says:

I need a blade for this kind of saw,what kind of hand coping saw that fit this .where can I buy.thanks

9. George Brouillette says:

I am looking for a manual for this tool. Can anyone copy one they have. Would pay for printing and shipping.

10. Dave says: