The CPSC posted this recall of Wagner-brand paint sprayers due to a possible electrical shock hazard if you pry off the on/off switch.  I’d say that was pretty obvious, but I know how serious things like UL ratings for products can be.  The fact that it can happen means they’ll have to fix it.

Wagner says about 35,000 units have the switch in question, which can be “dislodged from the casing, resulting in exposure of electrical connections. This can pose an electrical shock hazard to the consumer.” As yet, no one’s reported any injuries, but Wagner says if you own one of the affected units you should contact them for a free repair.

Check out the CPSC site for more information about this recall.

Wagner Painter Recall [CPSC]

6 Responses to Wagner Paint Sprayer Recall

1. Geoff K. says:

So, I assume this means that other devices not recalled for the same issue can indeed have their on-off switches forced from their cases without fear of getting shocked? Anyone who manages to dislodge the on-off switch from their power tool should expect to get electrocuted if they then try to actually use the thing afterwards.

“OW!! This extremely hot coffee just burned me! I smell lawsuit! (or is that melting polyester?) They never told me this steaming hot liquid in the paper cup I’m balancing between my thighs while driving and talking on my cell phone (and eating my egg-o-muffin) could actually burn me. Why didn’t they inform me in small print on the side of this paper cup?” Duh…

2. Michael says:

Was the person who started this recall using the moniker Captain Obvious? In a similar vein, my car may need to be recalled. You see, if I press the gas pedal too far down for too long, I exceed the “speed limit” thereby creating a possible hazard to myself and those around me.

3. Scott says:

Geoff and Michael, I hear what you are saying. The litigious answer is all of those companies that do not recall products that can lead to the same outcome are negligent for not following Wagner’s lead. Go fund them and sue.

At the risk of spoiling the fun, reading between the lines one would conclude the switch design is defective. I am confident they are not selling units with no switch or simply removing the switches fro the effected units and calling that a fix. The solution is a better switch, not blaming the user. Although I agree, if the switch falls out the next thing I am going to reach for is the power cord, not the switch.

4. Michael says:

The problem I have with the recall is its intentional (I’m sure) vagueness about how the power button can be dislodged. Does it happen if I drop it, use a screwdriver on it, or does it simply fall out when I take it out of the box? Does it tend to fall out after 1 use or 10,000 uses? If I drop it from the second story while painting from the ladder and it shocks me after that, is it really Wagners fault (I’m not actually a fan of Wagner, don’t work for them, don’t sell their products, and have no interest in defending them)? I’m just wondering how much of a problem this really is. If I owned one of the recalled sprayers, I would definitely send it for repair – because it would probably get a good cleaning as well. People need to be accountable some of the time for their actions – or inaction (such as getting it repaired after they break it).

5. Rusty Brooks says:

Do a web search for the coffee issue before you make fun of it. I’m actually pretty sick of people who don’t know what they’re talking about assuming there was not a legitimate claim there.

6. Chris says:

Rusty: Who are you, that lady’s nephew or something? Even putting *cold* coffee in your lap while driving is a dumb idea, because it’ a recipe for ruined pants. I’m not saying the lady was uninjured, but the lawsuit against McDonald’s was ridiculous because it wasn’t at all their fault *where she put the coffee*. It’s like suing Gillette for allowing a Mach 3 to have sharp edges and cut you even though you don’t know how to shave. Remember, there doesn’t have to be someone to blame for everything; sometimes problems are our own fault. There is far too little personal responsibility taken in the US today, and that lawsuit is a poster child for it.

cl