hot-or-not4.jpg

We’re hard-pressed to see why anybody would pay $75 for the Professional Bigslider Utility Mover.  It seems to be a beefed-up version of those roll-up slides that you hated when you were a kid.  In the interest of fairness we’ll give you the spiel before we ask your opinion.

You place the Bigslider underneath heavy objects up to 500lbs to slide them around on just about any surface including grass, concrete, carpet, and tile. The 2′ x 5′ x 1/16″ thick flexible plastic sheet weighs 3 pounds.  You can also roll the Bigslider into a cylinder and insert it into your trash bags to keep ‘em open while filling them.

Brush off and clean the Bigslider with water and mild soap as needed.  Obviously the Bigslider is easy to store — you can hang it, put it on a shelf, or place it behind the bench like you’d store that giant piece of cardboard you put under the car when changing the oil — but just don’t store it in direct sunlight.

So would you pay $75 for this product if you needed to slide around some heavy objects, or would you pass?  Is the Bigslider Hot or Not?  Let us know in the comments.

Professional Bigslider [Official Site]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

17 Responses to Hot or Not? The Bigslider

1. Datapoohbah says:

Uh, no that’s worth like $3.99

2. Frank says:

Not, just use a tarp folded over itself a few times

3. tmib_seattle says:

$75? Um.. no.

Bigfoot handtruck from harbor freight: $50 when not on sale. Much more versatile:

4. Mr. Peepers says:

I agree with TMIB- a handtruck is much more useful, and has a lower rolling resistance. With the money you save on the handtruck, you could even buy two sheets of plywood in case you have an uneven surface to work on.

Plus, I can’t imagine that the ‘slider will last that long on concrete, dragging a heavy barrel of chain (which is what the website shows as a demo use)

5. SuperJdynamite says:

I have a Magna Cart that I like: http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Elite-Hand-Truck/dp/B0010XS5PS It’s only 2″ thick when folded up.

Carts also seem more versatile and less embarrassing. I will actually use a cart at a store or around home, but I’m not going to BigSlide my stuff across the parking lot and up the stairs.

6. Mr. Peepers says:

I’d have to agree- the invention of the wheel seems to be quite a success.

7. Eric says:

You’d have to be NUTS to pay that much for that thing!!!

8. jay says:

if i could lift 500# why would i need this?

9. Mike says:

What Datapoobah, Frank, tmib_seattle, Mr. Peepers, SuperJdynamite & Eric said.

It’s unanimous.

10. David Bryan says:

It’s a very practical idea but it ain’t worth that much money to me. I’ll stick to cardboard or a blanket. Or both. And have plenty of money left over for a pH meter. I might even need two of them.

11. Gwiz says:

Kraptacular. One question. Why?

12. Robert Diaz says:

To move large objects around the yard I just use my scoop shovel, same premise.

13. heywood says:

you could just measure the product with calipers and buy an industrial sheet of the same material (polyethylene, I might guess but I’m no plastics engineer).

after that, you could just cut out a handle and hit it with a lighter to soften the edges and you would have the same thing.

14. James says:

I assume you mean “crazy carpets” when you say “roll-up slides that you hated when you were a kid.”

Not at all, if you know what to do with them. Take an old school wooden toboggan, staple crazy carpets to the bottom, find the steepest hill in your area, get as many people as you can on it, and hang on for dear life.

It’s terrifying, but so much fun.

15. Stuart says:

Hope they don’t get seen by anyone in Bunnings here in Australia – last thing we need is them to think this is the next big idea to jump on the bandwagon with (or is that jump on the Bigslider?)

In the photo shown – there looks like a lot of loading going through the shoulders and onto the lower back – thought this was meant to make life easier!!

16. dom says:

If only the Egyptians had this back when, to drag pyramid blocks with.

This is good for dragging a deer over the snow back to the pickup. Better than coming back next day when the deer is frozen solid, standing it back up, then putting those little plastic furniture glides under its hooves and pushing it.

17. bob says:

I thought I was the only person who did that.