At first when I saw this I thought it’d be great for the “city dwellers” to prevent a prankster from strolling by, turning on the water, and walking away. But I hear now that the newest “prank” is to turn on the water and stick the hose into an open window, dryer vent, or window well.  The wet floors, walls, drywall, and whatever could run into the tens of thousands of dollars for repairs — plus you get a high water bill to top it all off!  You can foil those vandals with this Hose Bib Lock.

It attaches to the sillcock and holds the water back.  It looks like you could just spin the lock right off, but it doesn’t come off that way — it’ll just spin and spin.  It consists of two pieces:  the threaded section that takes the padlock, and the cover piece.  Just add your padlock and it’s safe.

You could just take the handle off instead, but a pair of pliers can get by that pretty easy.  At about $14, the Hose Bib Lock will be a lot cheaper than the other bill you may face, and this version is cheaper than others.

Bib Lock [ConservCo]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

13 Responses to Hose Bib Lock

1. Dave P says:

Man, people are dicks.

2. Chris S says:

If possible Id rather have a ball valve on the other side of the wall to keep the water off when I’m not using it. Good for the winter too so you can drain out the exposed pipe.

3. Snork says:

it looks like a cool simple design that if properly installed would work well. A lock on your back gate might serve the same function if you have good fences.

4. Brau says:

I agree with Chris. I use a ball valve on the inside. It’s a lot better than dragging around keys or messing with locks, and prevents freeze-ups. It costs a lot less (about $4) before factoring in the cost of a lock too.

5. Joe says:

1. Dave P. says it!

2. Glad I live in the country.

6. Casey says:

How about removing the handle? Cost? Zero.

7. dculberson says:

Casey, as it says right there in the post:

“You could just take the handle off instead, but a pair of pliers can get by that pretty easy.”

8. Zathrus says:

@Casey:

The post actually discusses that. Not particularly effective.

I think I’ll actually buy one of these… the interior cut off is not in an easily accessible location (ignoring the issue that the previous owners drywalled over it), and I came home once last year to find one exterior faucet on; it had already dug a 1 ft deep hole.

9. Ken says:

I drain the line and tank and shut off the well pump.That solves everything and it is cheap.

10. Chris says:

@Ken: Somehow I doubt most people with well water have a real problem with vandals walking by and turning on outside faucets. ;)

cl

11. fred says:

Sorry for the duplicate post

BTW for most of our commercial work – we install some form of loose key hose bibb – often as part of a recessed in-the-wall hose station with or without a locked door for added security.

For a home – here is a typical loose key bibb: