I use my Enderes XV-1 multi-bit screwdriver even more than my razor.  A very good family friend gave me the XV-1, saying it was his favorite tool, so naturally it became one of mine, and not just because of the sentimental value — this tool packs the punch of 15 screwdrivers in one.  It isn’t complicated or fancy;  it just gets the job done, whatever it may be.

This tool is indestructible, in my opinion — I’ve had mine over 10 years, and it’s none the worse for wear. The XV-1 features a silky-smooth Japanese ratcheting mechanism and six easy-to-open slots for bits, and it contains 15 bits, one of which is the hex driver itself.  It comes in three colors:  high-visibility yellow or orange, and (my favorite) ocean green.

You can get it directly from the manufacturer’s website for about $15 — so at $1 a bit, what’s to lose?   Go grab one and find out for yourself what a great screwdriver it is.

XV-1 [Enderes]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

44 Responses to Who Makes The Best Multi-Bit Screwdriver?

1. Jim German says:

I’ve never been a big fan of multi-bit screw drivers. I’ve always found them to be to big, clunky and un-egronomic. I much perfer a good set of wiha’s.

2. Rob says:

I’ve always been partial to my Snap-on. The shaft is just a bit thinner than most which helps a little sometimes in tight spaces. I do have some of the others but I always reach for the Snap-on first.

3. ToolGuyd says:

My absolute favorite multi-bit screwdriver is the PB Swiss Insider. The bits that it comes with are of the highest quality that I have ever seen, and the handle is amongst the most comfortable. The best part is that it can be used with standard 1″ bits and even 2″ bits in a pinch, and the entire thing fits in my pocket.

I reviewed the Insider a few weeks ago; here’s the link in case you wanted to see some pics of it.

Also, are the Enderes driver’s bits proprietary? I’ve scoured their website but could not find any hex style bits – maybe I’m not looking in the right place. I also could not find info as to which 14 bit types/sizes come with the driver.

4. Kris says:

Seems to have much overlap with the Klein 10-in-1 that I keep in my shop apron. http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/32477.html The Klein adds a T10 Torx bit and seems to have an additional socket size. The Enderes adds T20, Philips #3 and 2 smaller slotted (1/8 & 5/32). I may have to look into one of these. Shipping is a little high – $9 to my home.

5. Greg A. says:

My first (non retail) job they gave me a Klein 10-in-1 my first day. I’ve used this thing everywhere. Kitchens, Wake Boards, Aquariums, Computers, you name it and this tool has done it. I’ve had it since 2002 and I’ll never own another Multi Bit again. Definitely a great tool

6. Stan says:

I’ve tried many multi-bit screwdrivers before stumbling on the Klein 10 in 1. It is my favorite screwdriver. It is especially handy when doing electrical work. All the tips are there for grounds, breakers etc.

I’m also like the rest of the regular Klein screw/nut drivers. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

7. fred says:

Re ToolGuyd Says:

Interesting – we have a couple of PB (Baumann GMBH) tapered reamers that are years old and of high quality – never knew who the company was until today.

8. Deelow says:

I’m with Rob, I use my [[url=http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=72230&group_ID=13204&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog] snapon] one more than any other screwdriver I own.

9. BC says:

I’ll kick in my vote for the Klein 10-in-1. It’s one of my favorite tools.

Their bottle opener kinda sucks though :D

10. Zathrus says:

Have a pair of Klein 10-in-1′s; one in my main toolbox, one in our “junk” drawer for general house work. Also picked up a Craftsman 10-in-1 that looks to be identical; it’ll get tossed in another toolbox at some point.

The only downside is that for some uses the shaft is too thick — I occasionally have to repair toys where the screws are deep in some hole. Have to go get a real driver for that.

11. techguy688 says:

the spec tools overdriver is one of my favorites. it has 2 speeds and a silent ratchet action drive. it has a 1:1 ratio with one hand, but hold the black transmission housing with your other hand is shifts to provide 4 X speed. the new handle looks more comfortable than the old one. it is great for removing long screws without all the turning of a regular ratcheting screw driver
    the klien 10 in one is also a great general purpose screwdriver. I have 2 or 3 in different kits.

12. ToolGuyd says:

Fred, I’m glad that I could help. =)

13. aggiemike says:

I’ll put my vote in on the Klein 10 in 1. It’s my favorite screwdriver,use it everywhere. The bits are ground to fit very well and you can use it to accomplish many tasks.

14. fred says:

I suspect that Pratt-Read (the OEM for many of the Sears Screwdrivers) may make some of the other branded ones too.

15. Kevin says:

This here is my multi-bit driver for around the shop. It’s the Craftsman ratcheting magnetic bit driver.

First, yes the shank is a little large so it’s not perfect for precision work or tight spaces, but for most around the house applications and fix-ups, it comes in handy. The end of the shank is magnetic so if you’re using it to screw something in it will hold it in place as well as prevent removed screws from falling into the abyss.

It comes with 26 different bits (4 Phillips, 5 slots, 6 torx, 4 Robinson, and 6 Allen) which are included in a rubberized bit holder that can be put on your belt. If you don’t want to carry the bit holder with you, you can fit 6 bits of your choice into the handle plus the one loaded into the shank so you can take just the bits you need with you or bring them all and have everything handy.

3 position ratchet for forward, reverse, and lock and a rubberized construction that is actually surprisingly comfortable when used for an extended period of time. Craftsman Lifetime Warranty as always.

Honestly, I’ve very rarely had to reach for another screwdriver around the house when I have this one. It covers most any base and it’s a standard sized bit so you can always buy ones that you need and mix and match the set.

~Kevin

16. Dr. No says:

I prefer this 6-in-1 style where it has full screwdriver shafts that slide out of the handle and lock in. The shafts cant come out and get lost and it lets you get into narrow holes.

The downside is that you cant just replace a bit if the tip gets damaged.

If anyone knows of another manufacture who make a very high quality version of this, I would be very interested in it.

17. Kevin says:

@ Dr. No

This is a similar premise but instead of loading the entire shaft, you just load the bit. Same turn to select design thought.

18. Gordon says:

to Dr. No

The Picquic screwdrivers have several versions of what you describe. I have a few of these and really like the quality and the heft.

19. Toddi says:

I call your Klein 10 in 1 and raise to 11 in 1!

20. jeff says:

I’m a fan of the craftsman 6-in-1. I can flip the shaft and bits in one hand (but I have big hands). It is always in my mobile toolkit where space is at a premium.

21. metis says:

one more vote for the klein 10 in 1. it’s the best by a mile.

22. mike says:

Klein … I’ve got one in each of my cars, my motorcycle, plane and tool boxes; probably 7 in total.

23. Jerry says:

Add me to the fans of the Klein 10-in-1. One of the best tools made and I use this many times a day, every day, at work. At 10 bucks (average price) it is a great bargain and made by Klein too! It is comfortable in the hand and provides a good grip.

24. Brett from Utah says:

You electrical guys all know that Klien has an 11 in 1 too right?…Same tool but you also have a 11/32″ bit on one end of the shaft- You non-electric guys may be asking “Whats the use of an 11/32″ anything?…” but if you work on electrical fixtures you will find that many fluorescent ballasts are held in with an 11/32″ nut…And when I don’t have my 11 in 1, I scream and curse as I remove and install these fasteners with the wrong tool( usually a pair of linesman’s pliers- definitely the wrong tool…) I love my 11 in 1…..

25. David Bryan says:

Them multi-bit screwdrivers aren’t much good for beating on, although they can be mighty handy. I jam a 1/4″ hex bit holder on the end of a regular screwdriver, maybe tape it on. That works pretty spiffy for me. I do like the Enderes models, though, and I have a bunch of Cully’s I’ve had a long time.

26. Keith says:

I had one of those old Ronco Screwball screwdrivers from the 70′s, see:

or

- not that rugged, but good around the house (as long as you don’t lose
    the bits). So good in fact, that my wife claimed it for the household
    tool box.

So, before this past Christmas, I went looking for a replacement, and
    found this one from Lee Valley Tools:

I like this one because it is well built (in spite of being produced
    in Taiwan), the bits snap into the shaft, and the unused bits are stored
    in the handle. For me, if the tool accessories don’t store in/on the
    tool, or at least with it in a case, the accessories become separated and
    lost.

Also, Lee Valley screwdriver has a three-way ratcheting clutch,
    ratcheting clockwise, counterclockwise, or locked.

I’m going to have a look at the Klein screwdriver that folks are
    recommending, but I would like to know, does the Klein screwdriver
    provide bit storage in the handle (or somewhere else), or are the extra
    bits just loose?

27. ambush says:

The only multi-bit screwdriver I haven’t tossed in the back of a drawer is the Megapro original, http://www.megapro.net/products/index.php but I haven’t tried the Klein. I’ll have to give it a go.

28. GLHMarmot says:

I have to place my vote for the Picquic line of multibit drivers. They are the strongest multi bit drive I have ever used. Simple design without a bunch of gimmicks to break. Easy bit changes and I also like that I can get a huge variety of different bits and customize what I want to carry. I have three or four of them so I always have one on hand.

The original Picquic

All the extra bits available

29. Caleb says:

I agree with Gordon, the Picquic is the best! It has 3″ bits that can be chucked into a drill which is very handy.

30. Brau says:

I use PicQuic simply because it is a sturdy tool with long bits. The one gripe I have against most multi-drivers is short bits and a fat shank that can’t access tight spaces.

For “junk drawer use” I stock one of those Home Hardware “Retract-a-Bit” drivers with the bits that eject from inside so the kids can’t lose the bits.

31. Chris K says:

+1 for the Klein. I get odd looks for having it with me at all times, but sometimes you just have to tighten the subway car seat in front of you…

32. beano_t says:

Speaking of multi-bit drivers…

this weekend at my local Lowes I picked up a set off the “bargain table” it was the Kobalt set: ratcheting driver, multi-bit set with storage in the handle a full size solid handle with reversible shaft sporting standard/ phillips on both ends and a micro set with several bits…. all for $7.99 (reg $20 or something they had an entire case of them)

It made me laugh because they we selling the same ratcheting driver alone for over that in the same store.

I bought it, used them the same day. May not be the “best” but a damn good deal if you ask me.

33. Brett from Utah says:

Kieth-
    the Klien 10 and 11 in 1 store the bits in the shaft, which is double ended, with 2 double ended inserts. here’s the web page:

34. frank says:

I also like the Lee Valley tool Keith mentioned. The Megapro tools are very nice as well, and made in USA or Canada. Grainger sells them, and they are in the Craftsman catalog, or you can buy them more or less direct from the manufacturer.

35. kyle says:

I like the craftsman 6 in one I use mine all the time and it works great exept on recessed screws

36. fritz gorbach says:

I love the klein, and have an irwin thats just as cool. Semm to have a couple dozen of those promo 6in1 screwdrivers with this logo or that on it floating around too. The klien and irwin live in my work bags, but the best one is the one that is there when i need it.
    Also, the Snapon ratcheting screwdriver is quite nice, but ina whole different class at over a hundred bucks a pop, compared to six-ten for the others.(or free in the case of the logo ones.)
    Snap on makes plain shanks too that fit in the ratchethandle, and the gearwrench adapters fit as well, including the ultra cool nutdrivers. Just b eware the gearwrench handle- looks just like the snap on, but nowhere near the quality. not bad though.
    I wouldn’t be without my snapon.

37. Jim R says:

Klein’s handle is too large for my tool belt, that must accommodate a lot of different trade tools for multi-purpose repair work. Plus, I find the flip bits are too small to pull out an flip quickly. They are also proprietary. But for a specific trade like electrical work, which is what Klein designs for, I can see it makes many happy here.

Believe it or not, I find the simple inexpensive 4/6-in-1 flip bit and shank drivers are just perfect for 75% of screwdriving needs. A smaller handle diameter and bits that are available locally make for a more useful alternative for me. Enderes, and others they brand for, like Ace Hardware for example, is what I use.

38. Chris F says:

My Dad has an old Screwball ratchet driver, and he can’t remember how to get the bits out. I can’t figure it out, so some help please…How do I access the bits?
    I just used it as a nut driver, but it sure would be helpful to use it as a screw driver too. Thanks!

39. handyguy says:

I work at an IT consulting firm. IE, computer guy. I’m often working on site with servers, but sometimes I’ll hang back with the in-shop guys. That kind of work includes taking apart laptops which use all kinds of screws to include torx, star etc.. I’m always having to switch bits. I’ve tried several different multibit screwdrivers and for the most part they weren’t that great. Tiny bits, terrible inventory system, poor quality etc… ie the bits were a pain to switch out or would always fall out or they’d get lost or just get torn up.

A guy who had worked with me previously left me his MegaPro. Just get one and stop looking. They’re pricey, but I’ve been using one for 300+ days a year, a dozen plus times a day for the last 4 years. Finally went and got one to keep at home. I found out recently that the Canadian Navy even uses the stainless steel/marine bit version. The bits are made in the USA and they LAST.

If you work fast and need to switch bits quickly, Megapro is definitely the best.

40. AuburnTiger98 says:

Chris F,

You have to rotate the clear plastic piece at the base of the shaft with one hand while holding the “ball” grip with the other. The opening should normally be lined up with the blue directional switch. Just rotate it to the opening for the desired bit. Just broke the one my dad gave me yesterday. Looking for a replacement now.

41. Larry says:

Klein 10 in 1, let me count the ways: Dirt bike tool kit, one out in the main shop, the household tool kit, one in the truck tool box, another in the RV. Yep, that’s it.

42. Darren says:

The MegaPro 14 in1 or 15 in 1 is the ONLY way to go for a multibit screwdriver!! The hadle isn’t much bigger that a standard Craftsman screwdriver, yet it has a slide out barrel that holds your doulbe ended bits via clips.

One of teh best features of the screwdriver / bits is the fact that they had a retaining spring ball bearin (similar to a ratchet drive for sockets.

I’ve have mine 15+ years and use it almost daily and LOVE it!!