I was amazed that the 3D printer can even make models with moving parts.  Jay shows a wrench that was printed with perfectly moving parts already in place, just like the original metal one!

3D Printing [Jay Leno's Garage] via Fabbaloo

7 Responses to Jay Leno Mainstreams 3D Printing

1. Kurt Schwind says:

The future is NOW! So, all we need is a 3d scanner, a 3d printer and a CNC milling machine. I’ll be right back.

2. PeterP says:

I want one of these so bad.

The reprap project is an interesting attempt to make a DIY ersion of the 3D printer: http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

I don’t know of any DIY scanners, but I’m sure there must be some out there.

3. Alex Lorman says:

3D printers really are a ton of fun for rapid prototyping ideas.
    at school we have a zcorp that alas doesnt get too much use since it requires the learning curve of doing all one’s modelling in 3d from the start.
    but man, if i had 20 or so thousand dollars id far prefer to have a my own 3d printer than a car.
    next stop, a 5 axis mill!!

4. BigEdJr says:

I’ll take 2…they’re small!

5. Shopmonger says:

Yeah I would say this is a little pricey, but way cool. I did this when in a engineering department. 3-d scans to autocad to pro-e to mold deisgn straight to cnc or and SLR……what a great world we live in

6. Trevor D. says:

Holy shit it prints objects consisting of multiple integrated and moving parts in one pass.

7. [...] Jay Leno Mainstreams 3D Printing I could hear the Jetsons theme playing in my head while I wrote this — the future is here.  In a video on his website, Jay Leno demos a consumer-level 3D scanner, showing how it can be used in real-world applications such as automotive restoration.  He scans a broken steam valve and sends the data to a 3D printer for mock-up and to his CNC machine to mill the final part. [...]