As a theater stage technician I handle hot light fixtures, heavy weights and set pieces, and ropes and rigging, so gloves are a must — after a day at the fly rail without ‘em, I’d be sorely sorry and rubbed raw. These SetWear Journeyman gloves feature tough, durable SureGrip panels on the palm and fingers, and they look like they’d do the trick.

Everyone at work wears SetWear gear, which seems to be a staple in theaters and on movie sets alike, and I think these gloves are reasonable at $27, if they hold up to the wear and tear of an average workday.  But I’ll throw this one out to you guys:  How many of you handle rope on a daily basis, hemp or synthetic?  What kind of gloves do you use?  Let us know in comments.

Journeyman Gloves [SetWear]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Rope-Working Gloves

1. techieman33 says:

Mechanix makes the setwear gloves. They’re pretty much the same as a pair of mechanix brand gloves, just marked up to a higher price. I’ve had both, and they both last about the same period of time when working on the fly rail. The hemp is going to tear up just about anything you wear, but it’s still a lot better than spending an hour pulling hemp splinters from your hands and arms. I usually buy the craftsman gloves when they have them on sale for $10 since they’ll either get torn up in a couple of months, or someone will walk away with them.

2. Tom C says:

I’ve had a couple pair of Setwear gloves and I like them. The EZ-fit fit me well. I have worn through fingertips in them and then I cut them off and make them fingerless. The synthetic leather is easy to clean when they get really gunky (throw them in the washer) and has good touch.

Setwear is the name brand for stage work. I have some other brands and they are fine too. I

3. theFish says:

I’m a theater electrician and carpenter, so I handle rope, cable (some of it fiberglass wrapped), wood (some of it unsanded), and metal (much of it unground) on a daily basis. As such, I like to have a pair of gloves I can wear all the time, and not spend time taking on and off all day. It’s for that reason that I like fingerless gloves, and when it comes to fingerless nothing beats Metolius Climbing Gloves. They’re all leather, and triple stitched just about everywhere, and one pair will typically last me over a year of almost daily use. And like all good leather products, once you beat them in nicely, they fit like a second skin.

Metolius makes rock climbing gear, which is why their gloves are both functional and comfortable. They recently came out with a new glove made of synthetic material called Iron Hand, which I have on order now (the main advantage being that you can wash them. a true drawback with leather).

4. I have yet to find a pair of gloves that will stand up to the flyrail for more than a couple of weeks. The Mechanix gloves all crumble at the sight of rope. I’ve tried pig, cow, and goat leather; which have all lasted a littler longer than the Mechanix, but not much.

My favorite gloves are the nitrile-dipped gloves (though black can be hard to find). They can be light, breathable, super grippy, splinter resistant, more durable than Mechanix, and they only cost $4-$6 so its no big deal to always keep a few pairs on hand. (hah!) They’re also pretty good for working with hot lighting fixtures, but the nitrile does stay hot longer than most other gloves.

5. Bill says:

Every finger a marlinspike.

6. Critter says:

Anything with real leather. There’s nothing worse than a hot barn door burning right through your $40 synthetic leather gloves. I’ve had it happen once and it won’t happen again.

7. gus says:

I do G&E for film/tv. I use the plain old pigskin gloves, full leather. I think they cost about $10 -15 at home depot, they last much longer than than the thinner leather tipped gloves and are fine for handling hot fixtures and rope, best option for the cost.

8. lance coury says:

mechanix does not make setwear gloves they are a brand of there own! setwear
    pro leathers and hothands are great for flyrail
    setwear is made for the men and women in our industry!

9. LJ says:

my fiance and I did community theater and the go to gloves were IronClad. they’re great (they don’t make their general utility quite small enough for a woman with small hands), but they are the best.

10. Captain Long says:

I find that ALL leather gloves heat up and get slick after a short time of running rope through them. Hemp actually doesn’t cause as much damage as set X and other types of synthetic line. More often than not these days I’m finding synthetic rope being installed in theaters. And so I’m going through more gloves than ever before. These days Iv’e been using rubberized palm gloves. I find that they are the best thing for grip which translates to less fatigue on my hands and arms. But these types of gloves don’t last very long. One two week run (or less) on the fly rail will take out a pair of gloves on me. Regardless of their short life span I still say rubberized is the way to go. Recently I discovered Dulth trading. They carry two different pairs of gloves that I like. The product names are “get a grip” and “box handler”. These like all other gloves wear out with time. But Dulth offers a “no bull” policy. No matter the circumstance surrounding their demise or length of time you’ve had them, Dulth will replace them minus shipping. That’s the best deal I’ve found in a long time.

Cpt.