Join us as we run down this week’s top five and re-visit Sean’s excellent post about the big box revolution and the end of old hardware stores. (We also rant a bit about how carrying a pocket knife can save a life.) Remember, if you’ve got a question or comment you can call us at 866-718-9403. (Podcast Download)

16 Responses to Tool Talk #53: Old Hardware Stores & Pocket Knives

1. Scott says:

I tuned into to listen to the topic of show #53- Old Hardware Stores & Pocket Knives. It would be very helpful if you could do a better job of labeling the show, because I had to listen through 20 minutes of a totally different topic to get to the subject of the hardware store and pocket knife topics.

2. Stephen says:

I just found the podcast and really enjoyed the last couple of episodes. I’ve started listening to the rest and I hope you guys produce some more. I’m not always the best handy man but I do enjoy hearing about all the different kinds of tools and experiences other guys who are not master craftsman have to say. Keep up the the great work guys.

You should pimp this show on GWC.

3. Eric says:

A small pocket knife is as natural for a man to carry as is a comb if his hair is long enough to need one.
    And, you’re right, nothing fancy for everyday, just useful.
    Keep up the good work boys.

4. John Hampton says:

I have an old, old, (1800s?) planer about 1 1/2 incheswide (sharp!) that looks like a sleigh with a brass bar to hold the wedge. The wooden wedge slides under the bar to hold the planer blade in place. The cutting bar is pitted and dark in spots . It is labelled “Wade Bros” “Cast Steel” . Can find zero info on it. Any help? I have some good pictures of it if you want to see it. Is it worth anyhing? I inherited it from an uncle who was a builder until the war, after which he got into checkering rifle stock and had tons of checkering tools also. If I find a way to send pix, they’ll be called “Wade Bros 1…2…3… etc. Thanks.

5. ShopMonger says:

Where oh where is my beloved podcast…..???????

6. aggiemike says:

I’ve been waiting for new podcasts for a while, where’d yall go?

7. Ton says:

Where did the podcasts go? I just found this site right as the last podcast went up, and i was really hoping for more after listening to a ton of the old ones

8. I agree with Eric… “…nothing fancy for everyday, just useful”

9. Ryan says:

Missing the podcast

10. Brian says:

You guys had a great conversational-style podcast. I hope it comes back soon.

11. Harley says:

Does anyone know when and if this podcast will come back? I am really missing it, was nice to listen to on the way to work.

12. Pocket Knives says:

Been missing the podcast… good topic.

13. ReginaPhalange says:

I imagine that the kind of people that are into doll collecting (I don’t happen to be one of them) would say they haven’t seen an uptick in tool sales. With dolls not being your area of expertise and tools not being theirs, you’re both clueless as far as trends in the others’ area of interest.

Most people don’t know that fountain pens are still being manufactured, and that there are people who still use them. Or that pocket knives are tools that are still being carried by a good number of people, who actually don’t use them to stab everyone around them.

Just sayin’…

Re: Lowes/Home Depot. Where I live they are literally across the street from each other. That is some serious competition.

I carry a knife pretty much always–my EDCs are all under 3″ blades. People don’t always react positively to SAKs. I had a department manager at a store where I worked for a while comment on my use of one to open the boxes of merchandise while everyone else in the store was using dirty box cutters and retractable utility knives and leaving *those* just anywhere in the store. There will always be someone who sees even a friendly Swiss Army Knife as a potential weapon. BTW, I’m 5’3″ and female, so I’m not exactly physically threatening.

14. Creeke says:

At my age, I wouldn’t be caught dead without my “Old Timer” and a clean handkerchief (mainly for wiping grandchildren). I recall a number of times, when I was younger, watching older men pull out their pocket knifes and compare notes about when, where and how they got the knife, plus how many they have had over the years. I always thought a man should carry a good pocket knife and know how to keep it sharp.

15. Adam says:

Now a days it seems pocket knives are all “weapons”.

And, if one’s in your pocket it’s a concealed weapon.

So far, Leatherman type folding utility pliers, with one or more blades in the handle are not on the list.

Although, I would definitely not go into an airport wearing a Leatherman tool on my belt.

On the plus side, they have fold-out diamond abrasive coated keychain sized tools that you can carry with you to sharpen the less PC knife blades with.

16. John says:

This is why you should be using metric, odd fractions.