Onlineshoes.com is selling these Dr. Martens oxford steel-toed shoes for $80.  I’ve been wearing this style for the past ten years or so, and my second pair is on its last legs.

I’m posting this for two reasons:  to let you know about a good deal, and to ask if anyone has any better suggestions for a steel-toed shoe.  While my Doc Martens have held up ok, I’ve noticed that the sole tends to crack at the arch (both pairs I’ve had have done this), and they aren’t as comfortable as I’d like when standing for long periods.  That said, they’re much better than the steel-toed oxfords I’ve bought at Payless!

Dr. Martens Oxford Steel-Toed Shoe [Onlineshoes.com]

15 Responses to Dealmonger: Dr. Martens Steel-Toed Oxford $80

1. Thanks for the heads up on the deal! I just ordered a pair. As a bonus, use the promo code “9PRESDAY15″ (good through tomorrow, I think, but works today) for an additional 15% off.

2. elmegil says:

I used to wear Docs all the time (not steel toed….but essentially had the same problem). I also have fairly narrow feet. I have found that Timberland shoes fit me much better and have essentially the same other properties (waterproof, easy care, etc). I’d recommend you check out their steel toed line and see what you think.

3. Remarksman says:

Ever tried RedWings? They have a lot of nice styles, and good quality (at least they used to — haven’t bought a pair in many years).

4. Ben76 says:

Danners are REALLY nice. Redwings are great too but the hard sole gets old on concrete. I have a pair of “shoesforcrews” that I really like but they are pretty ugly and while they have held up well the uppers seem sort of flimsy

5. Snork says:

I had a pair of Doc’s for 3 years. Wouldn’t buy them again, they weren’t very durable, the soles had a poor grip and there are better shoes out there. I wear Tera Lites now. Safety shoes are one area where you usually really do get what you pay for.

6. andrew says:

i am currently waring a sears and robuck no steel toe oxford i think they quite a few years old.

7. Steve says:

I have been wearing Timberland Titans for the last 3 years. They are absolutely the lightest, most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. That includes athletic shoes. They have a Titanium toe.

8. Steve says:

I got my Titans at workingperson.com

9. Michael W. says:

I still have a pair of Doc’s (almost 20 years) that were picked up for me in London. I like them, but I wear a pair of Danner’s most every day (when I’m not wearing my Keen’s). They’re very comfortable.

That being said, what I learned from Randall Merrell when I took his bootmaking course ( http://merrellfootlab.com/company.htm ) was that every boot maker uses a different style of last and that certain boots would fit certain people better than others. Your best bet is to go to a brick and mortar store and try out as many boots as you can, weed out the ones that feel uncomfortable right away and go from there.

Once you find a boot maker that “fits” your feet best you can get the boots from whatever source works best for you.

10. Big Dave says:

I just did a search, and Titans are on sale at http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=365583
    for $39.49. (normally $100 – $150) I’ve never worn them, but after reading your positive comments, I’m gonna order a pair at this price.

11. RobtheWrecker says:

I swear by my Redwings. Being in the demolition business they have had to take a lot of punishment. I have one pair that is almost 20 years old. They have been to 6 continents (haven’t been to Antartica yet)

12. Tetsubo says:

I bought a pair of Docs to wear at my wedding. I put plaid laces in them. They are my occasional weekend shoes. I had to put in after market liners to make them more comfortable.

My daily steel toe work boots are a pair of Chippawas. I swear by them. Sadly my company no longer offers reimbursement for shoes not bought off of our company truck and Chippawa is not sold. :(

13. Simon says:

There is a difference between regular doc martin steel toes and DM Industrial shoes. The DM Industrials as pictured above are by far much more durable and comfortable than a regular pair of doc oxfords with a steel toe. I had the DM Industrial oxfords for at least 5 years – still keep them around for around the home, but they are almost falling apart. I have not yet been able to find another pair of steel toes that are as comfortable.

14. Simon says:

the ones linked to for 80 dollars don’t seem to be the same as the ones pictured above – I don’t think the 80 dollar ones are the ‘DM Industrial’ ones that I mentioned.

Here’s a website that actually sells the “DM Indurstrial’ boots.

in canada they used to sell them at Mark’s Work Warehouse, not sure if they still do.

If you are shopping around you’ll find that the ‘DM Industrial’ boots feel quite heavy. Don’t worry – they are the most comfortable steel toes around.

15. Gus says:

Do these shoes have the green tag for steel toed certification?