As we mentioned in the Tool Talk podcast 43 last week, we had some issues pulling the power-steering pump out of the shop truck we’re fixing up.  Actually, “trouble” doesn’t really cover it –- we had a hell of a time.  Reader AggieMike clued us in on a sweet technique that might’ve worked.

I’m not sure if y’all have managed to pull that power steering pulley or not now, but if you aren’t going to re-use it, why not drill and tap some holes in it and use a steering-wheel puller on it. My buddy and I did this on a stubborn pulley once and it worked like a charm.

This sounds promising — we also could’ve drilled the holes and positioned nuts behind the pulley and hooked the bolts into the steering-wheel puller.  We didn’t think of these ideas at the time, but either of ‘em would’ve been worth a shot.  At least our solution involved Chuck hacking things up, which is a favorite of his.

Street pricing for a basic steering-wheel puller is around $8.

Steering-Wheel Puller [Street Pricing]
Podcast #43 [Tool Talk]

8 Responses to Reader Tips: Pulling A Stuck Pulley

1. Rick says:

I just borrowed a power steering pulley puller from AutoZone. Make sure all of the parts are there and in good shape though. Still a pain in the posterior

2. Shopmonger says:

Actually they make a split sleave power steering puller that uses and impact gun and these are awsome. I used to have one and everyone of my friends would borrow it. I agve it to a friend of mine in Cali, when i left to come out to NJ. It may be similiar to the one Rick rented.

It has 2 semi circles that go over the “snout” on the pully, then a metal sleave that slides over that to keep them together. and then a large bolt that threads into the sleave, you then just use and impact gun to drive the bolt into the center of the pump and it pulls the pulley right off…….

3. james b says:

Just having had a similar experience, this article caught my eye. I bent the pulley from the Grand Cherokee, trying to get it off. Then the replacement from Advance was plastic, and I broke that trying to put it on the new pump. NAPA got one from their warehouse, but it was plastic as well. I ordered one from Mopar and they sent a really nice rearview mirror with lights built in. They Mopar guys in Beaverton expressed the right part and I got it on last night, but then proceeded to cross thread the high pressure hose. Autozone replaced the hose under warranty, which was cool. Then I backed it out with the front end still jacked up from bleeding the pump. And they say engineers don’t have any practical skills..

4. Mike lee says:

They make a special tool for this operation. Like the previous respones stated, you need an impact wrench to use the puller. However, you can do what I did and go to pep boys, buy the pump and they will pull the pulley and place it on the new pump.

5. Shopmonger says:

Yes and the nice thing about these pullers is because it uses the snout on the pulley it does not bend or warp the pulley

6. Chuck Cage says:

All: In our case, the front of the pulley was already mangled, which meant that all the easy pullers you’re describing won’t work. They require that the groove on the center be intact. Ours wasn’t.

So, we ended up having to hack the hell out of ‘em to get at it. This is a more elegant solution than mine, but considering that the pulley’s already a loss, my cut-a-pie-in-it idea worked as well.

7. jamesn says:

i have the proper pulley puller in my tool box. about every third time i go to the junkyard, i see somebody trying to pull one with a breaker bar and their teeth. i usually charge them a can of coke for removing the PS pulley. a normal cordless impact gun, event he biggest dewalt makes will not get the ones built after 2001. they are on there like a mother. i have a snap-on CT4850 (the BIG one) and it struggles to get them off. be sure you use HTHS grease on the threads of your puller. you will wear them out if you dont.

8. Nedo Meyer says:

I have been using a new tool for this–works on all kinds of ‘stuck’ things, from bearings, shafts, collars, pulleys, frozen bolts, etc. It’s called an induction heater. These things used to be the sole purview of high-tech shops, expensive as hell and specialized in their use. But not any more.

You just look a few turns of wire around the thing you want unstuck, and the heat makes one part expand. just slides right off most of the time.

There aer two companies that make these, but mine is from Fluxeon. It is said to be a lot more powerful than the somewhat cheezy McDuctor. It’s not just the 1800 watts vs. 1000, but this thing seems to put a lot more heat into the work. DOn’t know how, but it does.

Do a search for Neon John Induction Heater and you’ll find a page that will actually let you build your own for less than $200. worth a look anyway.