If you’re building fine furniture, you probably won’t want Bessey’s timber framing clamp — unless you’re really into the distressed look.  See, in place of a fixed jaw these clamps have a spike you drive into the wood.  They’re definitely meant for framing applications where a few gashes won’t be noticed.

You drive the point into a timber by striking the anvil with a hammer.  The flared depth-stop makes sure you set the appropriate depth and also makes the point easy to remove with a claw hammer.  You can then tighten the clamp, with either the high-strength tommy bar or a wrench on the hex bolt if you really need to apply the screws.

Bessey makes the clamp with a 4-3/4″ deep throat and a 24″ clamping capacity.  The sturdy components — rolled, work-hardened, ACME threaded spindle; drop-forged steel jaws; and cold-drawn galvanized rail — allow you to apply up to 2,660 pounds of clamping force.  A swivel-mounted pressure plate tilts up to 35° to accommodate standard framing angles.

One timber framing clamp will cost you about $70 to $80.

Timber Framing Clamp [Bessey]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Bessey’s Timber Framing Clamp

1. Shopmonger says:

This is awsome….. I need one of these for my new deck project…. Thank you for posting this……….

I am all a tingle now….

bad sign for my pocket book when i get the tool tingle

2. BC says:

Cripes, I hope that tool is a bit more than it appears. For $80, I’d expect something better than a bar clamp with one end sharpened.

3. Tim B. says:

Actually, I had similar thoughts to BC on this one — though mine were more along the lines of “Hey! I could rig up something VERY similar with a little creative modification of a bar clamp!!”

4. Joe says:

I’d guess that the price reflects how beefy it is and how much you can reef on it–timbers ain’t two-bys!

5. Brau says:

No thanks. I’d rather just use joist hangers for the piddling amount they cost, the ease of placement, and the added strength. Not to mention you can carry a bunch of them in your pouch.

6. fred says:

Re Brau Says:

The picture misses the mark. Like the Hazet tool (over $250)that we use – this is meant for timber framing – not pulling up dressed lumber.

7. Michael W. says:

We’re almost finished putting up a log house (a friend’s, not mine). This would have been very handy in moving over logs “just a little’ to tighten up the joints.

8. PutnamEco says:

I like the wood ratchet, like a ratcheting chain binder that’s used in trucking, but with different ends.

A little home brew fabrication, could reward the more frugal.

9. ambush says:

Expensive? I doubt this is any more expensive than a comparable Bessey bar clamp.