hot-or-not4.jpg

Rummaging through the bins at Home Depot this weekend we came across Elmer’s Nano glue.  From reading the back of the product, it sounds the same as Elmer’s Ultimate glue — but since we couldn’t find a bottle of Ultimate to compare it to, we can’t say for sure.

The Elmer’s website gives the impression that it’s a foaming glue that foams less, which, if we’re not mistaken, was also the big selling point of Elmer’s Ultimate glue.  We then wondered if Nano was Ultimate in a different tube. The claims are almost the same, if memory serves, so it’s possible this is just marketing — or it could really be a different product.

Is this just another foaming glue, or is it the hottest new thing in bubbly adhesives?  Let us know in comments.

Nano Glue [Elmer's]

13 Responses to Hot or Not? Elmer’s Nano Glue

1. der5er says:

The MSDS sheets for both glues are the same except for the names and product numbers. So, I’m betting it’s the same glue with a new (cooler) name.
    Nano MSDS: http://www.elmers.com/msds/mp9420.htm
    Ultimate MSDS: http://www.elmers.com/msds/mP9411_c.htm

2. ShopMonger says:

Hot, i use it on many outdoor wood projects and it hold up really well. However it needs clamping preasure to be effective. i ahve been usingit for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it. Yes if foams a littel less, ……………well actually it foams with smaller bubbles than Gorilla or other Poly Glues, But it seems to be a very effective adhesive…

A little easier to clean up, but just as sticky and goey, which seams to be one of the other complaints about Poly Glues.

3. Vince Bloom says:

The purpose of an MSDS is to provide the health and safety information on the product. The percentages listed on the first two ingredients have a range of 30 to 50 percent. That’s a pretty big range. Also, there can be additives, surfactants or other components that don’t have to be listed because their percentage is low enough, or they aren’t hazardous.

It’s very possible that the MSDS reads the same for both, but there is a difference in performance.

4. jeff immer says:

i have never used the ultimate, by i have used this product and found it to work very effective and really have a lot of holding power, however it’s not a glue you can use a little of for small stuff, and i have found tat once opened it’s shelf life is comparable to wood glue, it will last as long as you can get it past the dried glue at the opening

5. A. Peon says:

@ShopMonger & jeff: Maybe I’m thinking of a different product (Gorilla comes in many forms), but the Gorilla I know is a cyanoacrylate superglue (/poly blend?) that also manages to foam. The trick to preserving a bottle of Gorilla IME is to keep the cap clean and dry and to squeeze the glue almost to the tip before sealing. Obvious, but requires attention and care.

I haven’t tried these new Elmers products, but they seem to have the same iffy cap as a wood glue – if they behave like Gorilla, any reason *not* to expect to find these dried up and dead after 3 months on a shelf?

6. Paul D. says:

I keep my glues in metal ammo boxes with the rubber gaskets on the lid. This has saved me several dollars in glue. It doesn’t help with “super glues” really, but wood glue, Elmer’s glue, Gorilla glue, epoxies et al all seem to keep a lot better. I still use precautions like “A. Peon” mentioned in the comment above this one too.

It makes it easier to find the glue too since I actually put it back in the same place every time. Not something I can say with all of my tools. Plus there is no way my dog can get to the Gorilla glue in that steel box (though he has been known to chew up aluminum downspouts).

7. ShopMonger says:

A. Peon Says:
    Yes we are talking about the Origianl Gorilla Glue, which is a Polyurathane Glue (Poly Blend) It foams and all sorts of fun stuff……..

yes I would also agree that NANO is no good for small items unless you like doing cleaning…. also you need to be careful because it will “Push” apart small parts.

Clamping is necessary

8. Karl says:

I hate to sound pessimistic, but is it just a marketing change in order to raise the price? Lord know we so a lot of that today.

You know, call it Nano, because nano-anything is the hot marketing term de jour, and add a couple of bucks to the price while you’re at it.

9. BullChipper says:

This whole mystery is no puzzle to Borden’s which decided to try and hold on to its original ‘Ultimate’ glue customers when their costs of manufacturing it went up. Instead of arbitrarally boosting their prices to the consumer, they cheapened the chemical composition of ‘Ultimate’ glue and actually charged less for its inferior succesor. ‘Ultimate’, no longer the strong polyurethane it once was, has a new brother named ‘Nano’ glue, a very strong poly glue which carries all of the cost of manufacturing price increases (and then some) to the consumer that Borden has stealthily tried not to publicize. Borden is obviously trying to hedge its bets that most of its customers won’t notice or figure this out, but those who do will “ultimately” pay a stiff premium to get the ‘old’ quality now found only in ‘Nano’ glue.

10. bhodiebob says:

It worked good for one task (glass nick nack) for me. It dried hard and visible, so I should have wiped it off while wet.

I agree about preventing drying. I have more trouble with construction tube glues and caulks. I wrap the tip with different types of tape and press glue into the void. But it still dries hard, throughout the tube, given enough time and depending on the substance. Silicone is worst I guess.

11. Artorios Rex says:

Hot. I love this stuff. I primarily use it to hold wood pieces in old positions prior to securing them with screws… but Nano is so tough, I probably don’t even need the screws half the time. Highly recommended.

12. bhodiebob2 says:

It works good for glueing table legs and chair legs because the foaming action fills the space between the post and the hole. Also I recently glued a glassish bauble into a bezel.

13. glueguy says:

Hey guys. Best way to preserve glue after opening is to put a piece of plastic material, like Saran Wrap. over the tip, put the cap on, and then put it in something UPSIDE DOWN (Cap Down) so all the glue runs down to the tip and the air is at the top (bottom side up). The plastic will seal up the tip better than the cap will by itself.

The reason tips dry out is there is always a little glue in the cap and it dries quickly. With the bottle inverted all the glue is near the tip so it stays “wet” for the most part unless the whole bottle dries out. If you get some drying at the tip, it will be very minimal and you can generally peel it off to expose the “wet” glue. I do it with all my glues. I also date all my glues when I first use them/buy them so I know how old they are. Super glues go bad very quickly-short shelf life. Try it and I think you’ll like it. The hardest part is finding something to hold the glue containers in the inverted position. The straighter up and down they are the better, but they can be at a 45 degree angle and still work if there is plenty of glue in the bottle. I’ll put them in small coffee cans, Styrofoam cups or anything round. Just make sure the cap is on securely or all the glue will probably run out.