Spoon Shovels

You start digging a hole with a post hole digger but you run into something the digger just can’t hold onto, like mud or water.  Now you’re stuck, unless you pick up a tool like one of these Eastern or Western spoon shovels from Oshkosh Tools.

Oshkosh designed the Eastern-pattern spoon shovels for lighter sandier soils and the Western-pattern spoon shovels for harder, more clay-laden soils, but the high-carbon steel blades both feature scoop shapes. For easily measuring hole depth, they also mark the handles every foot.

Available with 7′, 8′, 9′, 10′, and 12′ handles made from ash or maple, if you can find one it’s going to cost you $90 to $150.

Spoon Shovels [Oshkosh Tools]
Spoon Shovels [Aerial Service Company]

9 Responses to Shovel With A Spoon

1. fred says:

We run into this problem with curb/valve boxes and use a specialized tool that works better than a shovel:

2. James says:

Now this is the way to serve GUMBO!!!

3. JGBabineau says:

I used a spoon shovel in the past to dig into heavy clay soil. The best way todig in hard soils is to break it down with a bar then scoop out the loose stuff at the bottom with the shovel. I had a 4″ diameter power auger that was unable to break through the silt at a depth of 4′. With the spoon shovel and bar, I was able to dig to a depth of 5.5′.

4. craig says:

a spoon
    a banjo
    a frost bar

oh crap!

5. craig says:

oops!

clackers too

remember back breaking, joint rending work makes for a contorted and deformed senority.

6. jared says:

I have 2 of the Osh Cosh spoon shovels standing at 10′ tall and 1 10′ pole/handle minus the shovel, if looking or interested email me

7. jared says:

oops.. i mean OshKosh..

8. Bernie says:

I have one of these it’s a 10footer. When our son moved to chicago 12years ago his garage use to be a barn which housed a horse and buggy. The house was built in1886. This place had a tack room and a hay loft. I saw the big long handle and asked my son if I could have it. I have a lot of antique shovels. This 10″is in my wife antique garden.