cordless caulking guns

Back about six years ago, when I used to fabricate and install granite countertops, we caulked with manual guns — the fancy electronic ones weren’t available yet. During an install, we’d set the granite countertop pieces on the cabinets, align ‘em to their final position, and then lift up the pieces to caulk underneath ‘em. And the guy doing the caulking had to race to squeeze out enough caulk before my arms gave out from the insane amount of weight.

It seems that a powered caulking gun would’ve been very useful to squeeze the caulk out faster, but I’ve never used one and don’t know anyone who has. So, I’m turning to you. Do you have a battery-powered caulking gun — or maybe a pneumatic? What brand is it? Does it lay down a seriously precise bead of caulk? Or is it a heavy, cumbersome waste of money?  Let us know in comments.

Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?] [What's This?]

21 Responses to Hot or Not? Cordless Caulking Guns

1. fred says:

We had bought a number of pneumatic (Caulkmaster PG100) caulking guns.
    The gun itself is very light – but it tethers you to the hose. This is OK when working from staging. Off of a ladder some of my troops will not take one up and prefer the old open-fame manual guns.
    We just bought an Albion cordless unit to try out.

We use other Albion products with good result – but the verdict isn’t in yet on this one. Some of my guys like it – but others complain that it’s too heavy compared to the manual gun.

2. Wild Bill says:

When I built my log house it required caulking between the logs. It was a two story house so I used a lot of caulk! I got two power guns (don’t remember the brand, not a major maker though) that were very light weight and attached to a power drill, thinking that I would wear out one or have a friend to help. As it turned out I didn’t wear even one out and no friends showed up to help. The cordless drills I had then didn’t hold a charge long enough to be usefull for the real work (this was 1992) so you had to drag an extension cord. With a variable speed drill they worked very well and could spit out a bead as slow or as fast as you needed.

For a medium size job these might work pretty well, as long as you had backup batteries. For something big I would prefer a cord or an air hose attached.

3. fred says:

I did not mention before that most of our caulking and Epoxy guns are Newborn Brothers. They make a number of high thrust guns that help with squeeze-out. We also use their bulk load and sausage load guns.

4. ToolFreak says:

For small jobs or precise work where you need a smooth bead, I’ll take a old frame type gun any day, but when doing a large caulking job, a powered gun is where it’s at. You will wear your hand and arm out otherwise, and wind up spreading the work out much longer if it’s just you doing it.

5. Jim German says:

They used pneumatic caulking guns exclusively at the factory I worked at. In a factory the hose wasn’t a problem, and the guns put out a very precise, easily controlled bead. No idea how expensive they were though, undoubtedly more than a hand one though.

6. scubasteve says:

Personally, I like the powder-charged caulk guns. :D

7. bc says:

it’s a tool for women…

8. Chris says:

I bought the Ryobi on a whim cuz it looked cool. I had some trim i had to caulk around and figured for the price it was a good excuse to play with something new. I gotta say its pretty damn nice. Its got a slider so you can change flow rates allowing for a nice smooth even bead. Also when you let go of the trigger the flow completely stops.

If youve already got the ryobi batteries id recommend it. Its only like $30 or 40 I think.

9. ambush27 says:

It all depends on how much caulking you’re doing. I’ve never used one but I’m guessing they really help with froshing/hazing.

10. Andrew says:

these sure come in handy when youre laying down adhesive for a big area. i think theyre hot

11. Jay A says:

We sell a fair amount of these to professionals which I can see the definite value as they (Milwaukee 6562-21 at least) do put down a nice steady bead of caulk with ease but for a regular home owner I can’t see getting much use out of it.

12. Chaim says:

Personally I think the Ryobi one (and I generally like Ryobi tools) is crap. Your choice is a lot of caulk or basically no caulk. For needing a slow stream under control, it just doesn’t do it. I wonder if the other 18v caulk guns have the same problem?

13. MR P says:

I have the DeWalt one and yoiu have compleat control of the speed and i love it. I would not like to have to pull the compresser out for a small job.

14. Brandon says:

I have the Ryobi Gun and love it. It is extemely adjustable with a slide scale. I used it this weekend to fill some gaps in my neighbors block foundation, I used 18 tubes of grout in about 2 hours, phenominal. After 2 hours with a manual gun, I am pretty sure my forearms would have exploded. Hot, in the right circumstances.

Brandon

15. ebrahim says:

could somebody assist me by informing me which is the best readymade grout that would work with a caulking gun and where i could get it from.many many thanks

16. jim says:

Being a caulking contractor in ny city, we go through about 5 skids of caulking a week.we tried many electric power guns, and its the samr thing all the time there just to slow.
    Jim

17. jim says:

Being a caulking contractor in ny city, we go through about 5 skids of caulking a week.we tried many electric power guns, and its the same thing all the time there just to slow.
    Jim

18. John says:

I found this site through this site. NICE site! :D

But, I found it because I’m not great at getting really clean beads with caulk.

I mean, I’m fine when it’s one colour on the same, or for round PVC windows and things.

It’s when I go indoors and need to do something like white on a wood work surface, or some other big colour different. Then, ANY mistake looks terrible, and the stuff is so damn hard to wipe back up without smearing.

I was thinking of getting one not for the force, but so I could lay the bead out in a very continuous stream without pumping the trigger on a manual gun, which is where some of my squiffyness comes in.

I really need to do a lot in the kitchen, and it needs to look good. So I may opt for some sticky tape, with or without the electric dispenser.

19. fabio batista says:

i run a small construction crew and I have a few friends in the business… a caulking gun with a big tube with a 2inch diameter is what is necessary for the gas proofing in the construction trade.
    The product available is good but doesn’t comply with the necessity of building and gas proofing…we need something for the homeowner making home improvements but for gas proofing industry.
    I am clearly not the only one…my colleagues from work and union really accept the concept of this improvement.
    Please reply with your comments and maybe can accelerate the process of improving a good product with the demand of need in the construction industry.

20. Col says:

I am also a caulking contractor and I find the damn stuff comes out too quick even on the lowest speed settings. Might be ok for long straight runs where you can stand and move with the gun with no obstacles but no good for shower recesses etc. Just makes a mess. I sometimes use it for wet area floors but waste more caulk than its worth really. I need something that I can slow right down for the finer work!

21. rickmos says:

the glue gun is good but the problem with cold glue or caulk is that the tubes burst in cold temperature application. There is a patent for a heated caulking gun and I don’t know why nobody has any for sale.