450_Photo 2.JPG

Archimedes said something like, “Give me a lever big enough, and I’ll move the world.” I’m fairly certain the same general idea applies to Matjack’s low-pressure, high-lift bags — at only 8 PSI they can lift one and a half tons or jack up three ton vehicles. Applications include everything from off-road 4X4 lifting to search and rescue.

Matjack makes their Quick Lift Bag kit with a durable Hypalon-coated nylon weave. Fully inflated, it measures 18″X18″X24″ and weighs just 13 lbs. with the included pump. Its light weight and small size makes it easy to store as well as transport. You can slip the flattened-out bag in spaces where more traditional lifting equipment won’t fit.

I wish I could tell you how much one of these setups cost, but I can’t find any prices listed online. If you’re interested, drop the good people at Matjack a line.

Quick Lift Bag [Matjack]

15 Responses to Lift A Ton And A Half With A Bicycle Pump

1. Dan says:

I’ve seen something similar in the 4wd.com catalog the last couple years, the X-Jack made by Bushranger. Seems like a good idea, though I’ve always wondered how well they work.

2. I think the fire services in the UK use those, probably not with bike pumps though.

3. PutnamEco says:

giyf airjack

4. weldo says:

I remember seeing something like this on TV back during the 70′s. I recall the young lady in the ad got a flat, tossed this thing under her car then hooked it up to the exhaust.

5. Brau says:

6. willis says:

“Okay, so once that massive jack is in place and inflated, how the heck do you get under the car?!!! ”

Don’t. It’s much easier to change a flat standing beside the car than lying under it.

7. jdh says:

You don’t want to get under a car that is sitting on any kind of jack. Ever. That is what jackstands are for.

8. El Duderino says:

Willis the wisenheimer beat me to the punch. This would be great to get a stuck 4X4 out of the muck or snow where a normal jack would just sink in.

9. rbb says:

It would sure make it easier to rotate the tires on a unibody car.

10. Grimmy says:

Or on a uniwheel car.

11. broncoremy says:

the picture looks like a 5/8″ water hose? and is the bag leaking?

12. Jrm says:

In larger scale, this technology is used to set overturned 18 wheelers and their trailers upright. Those bags that I have seen employed are wedge shaped, are inserted point first under the body, and inflated. A local business (Donny Woolard’s out of Washington, NC) has a dedicated wrecker to do just that, and is on call in an area that includes eastern North Carolina and into Virginia and South Carolina as well.

13. John says:

Since I manufacture Matjacks, I will try to respond to the inquiries and comments. First, this isn’t the quicklift bag, this is a larger rescue/recovery bag used for extrication operations. The quicklift is similar but stands higher and doesn’t quite have the footprint being 18″ x 18″ x 22″ in total. Regarding operation it comes in a kit which either has a double acting handpump or a deadman push button control if used with a compressor or air bottle. In the UK, the fire brigades do use it with the hand pump, but also more often with the deadman control. There actually used to be a low pressure bag which did inflate off the exhaust and looked like a glorified garbage bag and it came out of the UK during the 70′s and 80′s , but to my knowledge it went out of business due to a liability suit. No point in commenting on the “getting under the car” debate other than to say the first rule using any kind of airbag is NEVER get under anything suspended only on airbags. I have sold several Quicklifts in the off road market over the last 3-4 years for exactly the situation mentioned. The hose is 3/4″ on this product and no it is not leaking, the reason for the larger hose is quicker inflation time when using compressed air sources. The Quicklift uses a 3/8″ hose. I hope this answers all questions, if not please fill free to reach me by email at matjack@sprynet.com or visit the webpage http://www.matjack.com

John Sweezy Jr.
    CEO
    800-827-3755

14. John says:

Jrm made his comments before I got my last one posted and after I had looked at this page, so I would just say, we make the wedge shaped, Jumbo Lift bags he refers to and they are also on the webpage. Thanks

15. [...] Lift A Ton And A Half With A Bicycle Pump Unless your name is Bruce Banner and you turn green when you get angry, there isn’t a really easy way to lift a car without a jack — unless you’re armed with one of Matjack’s low-pressure, high-lift bags. They can lift 1-1/2 tons with nothing but a bag, a bicycle pump, and about 8 PSI of air. [...]