post-heatgun.jpg

Sure, it’s not the quality of a Bosch. But hey — for $10 you can own your own heat gun. This cheapie from Harbor Freight works great for shrinking tubing or removing glued-on emblems from vehicles. (Just take your time and don’t melt the paint.)

I own a similar model also from HF, and I’ve had pretty good luck with it. Both the one pictured and the one I own are 1500W models, drawing 11-1/2A via a standard 120V outlet. This one appears to offer more insulation than mine, though the handle on mine never really gets hot. A three-way switch lets you select from two heat levels and “off.”

As always, YMMV. But how much mileage do you need to get out of this $10 unit before you get your money’s worth?

1500W Dual-Temperature Heat Gun [Harbor Freight]

9 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: A $10 Heat Gun

1. robdew says:

When I think of where to save money, it’s not on items that you hold in your hand and can acheive several hundred degrees.

2. MBrun says:

My last heat gun was a Ryobi for $18 from of all places “Big Lots.” They have some decent tools at times.

3. James B says:

I bought one of these for slightly over ten bucks, and it never came on. It would take me five in gas and two hours to return it, so I just saved the cord and chucked it in the trash.

4. DS says:

My Harborfrieght heat gun lasted all of three hours. A waste of $10.

5. TexasT says:

Mine died on the first use after 5 minutes of use. Harbor Freight is one of my favorite stores, but this was a big waste of money.

6. Oregon says:

Mine died after a few hours of short blasts use. Closer inspection showed power failing to get through a capacitor of sorts. I would think there is a simple repair. Maybe the $20 gun lasts longer?

7. HeatUser says:

“You get what you pay for” is said alot for a reason, it’s true!

If you want a reliable heat source, where the tool will last more that a few minutes and where you can actually control how much heat you get, then buy from a reliable source like Steinel, Milwaukee Electric Tool (the power tool people), Makita, Craftsman etc.

I don’t know about you, but I want some control when handling over 1000 degrees!

8. will says:

The best price I’ve found on heat guns so far is http://www.heatgunstore.com. they also have a promo code working right now for an extra 20% off.
    Promo:TAKEOFF20

Enjoy!

9. steve says:

I was going to get this once, until I read the reviews. Just about every single one of them were something to the effect of “used it twice, burned out” EVERY one.

I went and got a $25 one from Home Depot, with a 2 year warranty.