Grizzly Transfer Punch

A transfer punch fits snugly in an existing hole and precisely transfers the center of the hole to another surface when you strike it. You could just use a pencil to mark the hole; but then the holes don’t always align perfectly, which can be a huge PITA.  When your holes absolutely, positively have to line up, grab a transfer punch set.

Because they’re designed to precisely fit in the hole, these punches are straight along the entire length, not tapered like most punches. This set from Grizzly includes 28 4-7/8″ long punches for hole sizes ranging from 3/32″ to 1/2″ by increments of 1/64.”  The punches are slightly undersized so as not to bind in the holes.

You can get the Grizzly set or one like it for about $11 at many tool shops.

Transfer Punch Set [Grizzly]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What's This?]

7 Responses to Get Centered With A Transfer Punch

1. Trevor Dyck says:

I’d buy the expensive set forged in the fires of Mordor. Its just how I roll. But cool tool regardless – I forgot these existed.

2. Frank Townend says:

Very useful around the shop. Also helps determine a dowel / bolt / rod size, etc. Can be used to line-up a stack of items where you need to bore out a larger hole. Nice sharp points (I have the Lee Valley set) and one tool to leave out on the workbench; they will get used.

3. Bill says:

I use these all the time, I’m currently using them as alignment pins for some fussy glue-ups. Drill 2 holes in the waste portion of the blank, and use the drill bit in one hole, punch in the other, and viola, perfect alignment, and no glue creep while clamping.

4. Tom says:

These are great for some applications, but I find that I use dowel centers more often. I was once struggling to to drill holes for a 10″ machine screw to go through some strange angled parts in a canoe seat. My dad pulled these out and it saved me tons of time and struggle.

5. Nick Carter says:

If you want good ones, get the Spellmaco ones, much better made than the import sets.

The other use of the import sets is gauging the degree of auction fever at an industrial auction. If the transfer punch set sells for $5 then chances are prices will be realistic, the buyers are educated and know what stuff is worth, you might get a good deal. If the transfer punch set goes for $40.00-$60.00, as I have seen many times, then it’s probably best to just get back in your rig and head home. You’ll end up paying more than new price for anything you want.

6. Jerry Chevalier says:

I am still not sure how to use them in my application.
    I hve aluminum skin mounting blocks thast only have an access point from the outside. So I place my aluminum skin on top of it but then how do i find the holes? The mounting block holes are 4-40. It seems that these punches are for use if you have access to the back side of the device you wish to screw into. Is there any illustrated guide to see these in use??

7. Jerry,

You do need a through hole to stick the punch into. I’m not sure about an illustrated guide, but you just stick it into the through hole and tap with a hammer to transfer the center of the hole to the surface below.

Sound like you need something like a dowel center for a 4-40 screw.

It wouldn’t be hard to make something to do the job, like take a 4-40 screw, chop off the head and sharpen it. Then screw it into the hole, place the aluminum skin over it and tap lightly. You’d have to be careful to leave enough screw so you could back it out with a pliers and not to hit it so hard as to screw up the threads.