hot-or-not4.jpg
silverback.jpg

The Silverback magnetic glove is basically a fingerless glove with a big-ass magnet slapped on the back of it. We can see uses for this; it’s always cool to have a readily-available place to store a few metallic odds and ends.

One concern: if you’re doing automotive work, we could see that big-ass magnet pulling your hand towards every stray piece of steel in the engine bay — of which there’s a great deal nowadays. And that bulky magnet strapped to your fist might prove to be a tight fit — especially with  nuts and bolts along for the ride.

Of course, a different arena such as roofing might show the Silverback magnetic glove in a better light, though we don’t know many roofers who carry around fasteners anymore. But what do you think? Let us know in comments.

Street pricing starts at $7.

Magnetic Gloves [Silverback]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

20 Responses to Hot or Not? Silverback Magnetic Glove

1. Simon says:

concept is good but white fingerless gloves? Not hot…

2. Mel E. says:

Won’t work for a roofer, the nails are aluminum…. I have a pair and find them helpful working on the car or small projects. Handy for trim work when hand nailing. the biggest problem is how many items it doesn’t work for that the parts aren’t ferrous.

3. Bill says:

Take off your watch and don’t handle credit cards.

4. mike says:

These aren’t supermagnets. It only takes a tiny magnetic field to hold screws, and it takes a VERY strong magnetic field to wipe a credit card or damage electronics. These won’t cause problems for you.

5. Steve says:

I found that these were extremely useful when I was rebuilding a wrecked bike. The small, and I do me SMALL, stainless steel bolts that held on all of the fairings were a nightmare to try and keep track of both when removing and installing the fairings. Being able to put the correct number of the correct size bolts on one of the magnets for whichever particular fairing I was working on was a HUGE time saver. Honestly, I didn’t even care about the glove part, all I used them for was basically a wearable magnet, but being fingerless made it a ton better for me since the pieces I was handling were mainly very small and required a lot of dexterity. Overall I’d say hot, at least for my specific application.

6. eschoendorff says:

I have them, but never use them…. if that tells you anything.

7. I’d say not. If anything, I’d rather my choice of gloves and a magnetic wrist/arm strap at the very most.

8. Michael says:

I like the idea of an armband with a bunch of magnets better. Accessible but out of the way too.

9. Eric G. says:

How did the stainless parts stick? Stainless is for the most part non-magnetic.

10. Ron says:

Yet another solution in search of a problem

11. mike says:

I dont know about these. I use magnetic Wrist bands extensively when installing or removing screws, especially off of ladders, like shutters.

12. Steve says:

Sorry, mistyped…they were not stainless as you pointed out. It was about 3:30 in the morning when I submitted that so was a little tired. Anyway, the gloves were none the less handy for what I used them for.

13. James Brauer says:

Maybe hot for doing overhead work up a ladder or something, but if that spent a day in my metal shop it would be covered in grinder dust in no time.

14. K. J. says:

No problem with them wanting to grab onto motor parts as mentioned above. They are strong magnets, but not THAT strong. Handy place to put nuts and bolts for small or quick repairs

I have used them screwing sheet rock, much better than pulling screws out of a pouch, pocket or mouth. I have used them shingling, galvanized nails hold very well. When you get one of those little packs of nuts bolts and screws for assembling different things, they will often hold the whole bunch, keeping them very handy and hard to mis-place. Will hold a decent supply of nails too.

They are no longer being made by Illinois Glove or called Silverback. They are being made and distributed by GRIP tools, Grand Rapids Industrial Products, and they are definately HOT!!!

15. J Rudy says:

Let me first say that I love these gloves….I wear them everyday for work….never knew how much i did until i didnt have them….finally found them on ebay….now have several pairs…..only things that i would change…first smaller but stronger mag….secondly better stiching on the palm….i would sell them if i could, people want to know where to get them all the time

16. Tom J says:

I love these gloves. As I am one of the inventors I take your comments very seriously. We are upping the magnet strength to a grade 45. More cost to us, but worth it as we want a very good product. Look for it soon under a new name and on the tube. Thank you for your comments.
    Tom

17. Kevin says:

These gloves are really good i find in my trade, for an electricien they work perfect, especially when doing pipe work with straps,etc. but unfortunatly i can`t find anywhere in Ontario that sell these gloves anymore. would love to get my hands on more pairs.

18. Beth says:

I used these gloves for YEARS working with Habitat for Humanity where much of the work is still done by hand. They were invaluable for holding nails while working roofing, drywall, framing etc. with heavy duty leather to protect your hands carrying rough items. I was heartbroked to leave them behind on a trip out of state and am desperate to find a new pair!

19. Smitty says:

AWESOME GLOVES I use them everyday have had them for about 4 years and they work great they are starting to show wear and tear and I am searching for a few more pairs hard to find

20. jarod says:

My name is jarod. My father invented this glove I am so glad people are enjoying them he has put his heart and soul into developing them. If you are trying to purchase them you can go to our new web site mag-glove.com. they are our new and improved model.
    T