hot-or-not.jpg
driver.jpg

Last Christmas we passed on a brief reader recommendation of the Autoloader, and almost a year later it still catches our fancy.  In short: it’s a screwdriver with bits loaded in its body sixgun-style.

The load of bits includes a P1, P2, slotted 1/4″, 3/16″, 1/8 “i, and T6 Torx, but you can customize it by replacing them with bits of your choice.  To us, it seems perfect for a car tool kit — just add bits specific to your vehicle and save a ton of space.  The pump action handle makes switching between bits as easy as pulling back, turning and lining up the arrow to the bit you want.

Franklin also licenses the design to Craftsman.  Both versions can be had for about $20.

Autoloader [Franklin Tool]
Quick Change Screwdriver [Craftsman]
Via Amazon [What's this?]

7 Responses to Hot or Not? The Autoloader Quick Change Screwdriver

1. eschoendorff says:

Not. Too much plastic that could crack under torque. I’ve played with them at Sears and they felt like toys. Then again, I will always reach for a real screwdriver before a bit driver.

2. Brau says:

Not. It appears to have the same fault as many multi-bit drivers – short bits and a fat collar that disallow access to screws recessed inside holes. For this reason I use a PicQuik driver as it has long bits.

3. Paul in Cin City says:

Hot. They may not suit those that want “serious” tools, but they are good for people that have fine motor skill problems. They are also a great thing for people that just need a simple screwdriver in the kitchen junk drawer, and aren’t necessarily tool mongers.

I have done more than play with the one I got my arthritic father, and believe me I can put some torque on a driver, and it held up just fine. Most screws that people would use a multi-bit driver on don’t need excessive torque either.

This is a niche tool and it fills that niche fairly well. I love my bamboo fly rods, but I can catch fish on a cheaper fly rod also. Each are designed for certain markets, just like this driver is designed for a certain market.

4. Eric Dykstra says:

I agree with Paul, I like this driver because it’s just one unit and is perfect for the household tool drawer or the car kit. My Subaru needs a torx bit to adjust the roof rack as well as the usual suspects. I think in this case it’s cool to have one thing that serves a couple tools for the sake of simplicity.

5. Ian says:

I have one and have been using it for a couple years. I love it. It is by no means a heavy duty implement but the mechanism has held up extremely well. It’s a great thing to keep around the house and it’s the first screwdriver I reach for when I know I’m going to be taking apart something with an assortment of bits.

6. jim thomas says:

I need tp get my autoloader replaced.
    How can i do this . Free I hope

7. Hot. Not a high-end screwdriver, but convenient for when you need multiple bits, and very nice that you can replace the bits with your own if you need different sizes or types. Doesn’t take up a lot of space.