safteyhammer.jpg

The LifeHammer is designed to save your ass in an auto accident: more specifically, you can use it to cut off your seatbelt and break side window glass in case you need to get out of your wrecked ride sooner than rescue teams can make it happen for you.

The Lifehammer features a heavy, pointed-metal head that punches right through glass.  You can also employ the top of the head and side to clear bits of busted glass away from the frame.  And on the bottom end of the handle you’ll find a razor hook angled perfectly to slip around a seatbelt and cut it in half in three seconds flat.

Sure, it’s ugly and you’ll probably never need to use it, but the $15 you spend on one might save you one day.  How many other hammers can make that claim?

Lifehammer [Official Website]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What's This?]

13 Responses to Save Your Rear With LifeHammer

1. Kyle says:

If you haven’t seen the Mythbusters episode where they try getting out of a submerged car, these are one of the few ways to get out, unless stay calm enough to let the water pressure equalize….

In for 2.

2. Stuey says:

“Made in the Netherlands”

Can’t say that I see that label often…

If I see these locally, I just might pick one up.

3. Fstedie says:

the problem is that you usually put stuff like this in the glove box, kind of touch to get to when you’re upside down in the water.

I didn’t think I’d ever need something like this until I saw the bridge accident in MN.

4. Chris says:

Car and Driver did a review of three or four of these things (although probably not this specific brand or model) about five years back. Their conclusion was basically that these things a) can’t cut a seatbelt worth beans, b) can’t break a window unless swung with the arm strength of a juiced Barry Bonds, and c) therefore aren’t worth their weight in horse turds.

5. false_cause says:

I have one of these tools that my father gave me. I keep it in the little pocket at the bottom of my driver side door. When my old car died this winter, I came across the tool while cleaning out the car and decided to test it on a window. I was surprised that the window shattered with nothing more than firm pressing. No hammering, it just all gave way suddenly. Didn’t test it on a seatbelt though it does have one of those thingies. My only concern is that I’ll forget it’s there if I ever need it.

6. Hank says:

What advantage does this tool have over a hammer? If not underwater, seems a hammer would do better at knocking out a window, unless I do not understand the physics of the tool. Everyone has about 3-9 unused hammers.

Just thinking out loud.

7. Gordon says:

Dude! Basic physics, what end will do more damage on a regular hammer? if you hit your hand with a hammers flat end or the nail pulling end?

The reason this tool works with so well is that even a feeble swing will break a car window as all the force is concentrated over a very small area, the point. A hammer’s flat face is great for hitting nails that have flattened ends, but it’s hardly the most efficient transmission of force energy.

A regular hammer would have to really be swung by a very strong man with great leverage within a sinking car. Grandma can whap away with this guy oonce or twice and most likely break the windshield.

8. scote says:

I’ve always thought that this is just likely to be a missile flying around your car when you get into a crash?

Anyone remember the Mythbusters tissue box episode? They tried to see if a tissue box in the back of the car would take your head off in a crash. It didn’t, but just about any heavy object would… I wouldn’t want to get hit by this hammer at high speed.

9. Keith says:

What about just carrying one of those spring loaded center punches? Before these hammers hit the market, carrying a spring loaded center punch was the recommended tool for shattering windows under water. Also, an SLCP wouldn’t require a clear swing, just the strength to press it to the window. Of course, as observed by others, any tool you carry
    in the passenger compartment should be secured, as you don’t want it to become a missle during a collision.

10. T says:

I’ve got the spring loaded center punch version. I have several older female relatives that expressed concern about their ability to use the hammer effectively. All you have to do with this one is push it against the window. It also fits on your keychain, so it’s right there in a fixed location and not flying around your car. I don’t put mine on my keychain. I took a snap ring, put the ResQme on it, and clipped the snap ring to my turn signal stalk.

11. [...] We featured the LifeHammer last month – a plastic safety hammer used to escape a crashed car or truck. Nov8safty also offers the ResQMe, which similarly performs the thask of cutting seat belts and busting auto glass. But unlike the LifeHammer, it’s small enough to fit on a key chain — and inexpensive enough to give away as stocking stuffers. [...]

12. Seb says:

Check it out! a LifeHammer on a keychain! ResQMe =)
    Love it!!! no installation required and so small.
    and MADE IN USA!
    You can get it @ Amazon.com for $9.95

@+

13. [...] pink. TM has previously mentioned the LifeHammer and ResQMe. Now, if you buy the pink versions, the distributor, nov8, will make a donation to the [...]