post-paintshaver.jpg

Nothing sucks more than stripping paint off a house.  Nothing.  That’s why we’re always writing about anything that might make the job easier.  But this sucker, sent in by TM reader PutnamEco, looks like it might be the final solution.  Its motor spins a set of carbide blades to rip the paint right off, and a paint collection attachment captures the paint in a shop vac.

Obviously this tool is intended for removing leaded paint, but even if your paint is safe, it’d still save a ton of time in cleanup.  It runs off 110V power, and the motor spins at 10,000 rpm.

The downside: it’s expsinsive.  We found it via eBay starting at around $600, though there’s currently one listing for $279.  I’d probably pay $279 for it, but not more — at least not for my non-pro purposes.

Be sure to check out the video on the site — if only removing paint were always that easy.

The PaintShaver Pro [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

11 Responses to The PaintShaver Pro

1. l_bilyk says:

It looks suspiciously like a grinder

Take a look at a metabo LF 724 S… it’s priced about the same but it’s much better engineered in my opinion

2. F451 says:

I own one of the first models of the Paint Shaver (BTW you have it updated to the current head if you contact the company). It is essentially a handheld milling device. And mill it does! It takes a finesse to operate it or you will gouge deep into the siding. Corners areas are best finished with a Fein Mulitool as the Paint Shaver only mills out circles, so corners are unreachable. The company’s owner has a bit of an attitude, as I initially tried to buy just the head and affix it to my own grinder tool, but that was a “noway, no-how” proposition, but I like his steadfastness. Once you have the hang of the Paint Shaver (it is like painting a car, you have to move the spray pattern tangent and consistent to the surface) you can strip paint so damn fast you will be astounded at the mess, and the removal. One downside is a siding that is textured will have its texture all be removed down to a level surface. Your first go with the Paint Shaver will likely follow with a sander afterwards until you get the hang of it regarding pressure, and the feedback the tool itself sends you. It is worth the money? Hell yes, as it will take a one-hundred years of layered paint and kick the crap out of it, fast!

Pros: Strips better, and faster, than a pole dancer.

Cons: Cheap bastards’ need not apply.

I have seen, but not used the Metabo LF724S, but I am sure it works well too.

3. dejure says:

I too have a Paint Shaver. Bought it to work on the oldest Queen Ann in Olympia, Washington. It was worth ever cent (and that’s a lot of cents). I have a siding sander, but, wherever possible, this is my stripper of choice. Just remember to hook it up to a good vacuum, or you will burn up the motor (it needs the air flow, and you want as little of the dust (probably lead based) floating around as possible). I added a squirrel cage dust collector using flex ducting for additional dust collection.

All that said, this thing does what they say it does

4. [...] The PaintShaver Pro The Paintshaver looks a lot like an angle grinder. Though we were a bit on the skeptical side, readers jumped in to say this works great but you need to be careful. It’s more powerful than it looks. [...]

5. Dejure says:

Since my first post, I have learned a couple of things:

As I noted, they do what the manufacturer says they will, but nails slow you down. That wasn’t a problem on the Queen Ann because we were cleaning cedar shingles, so there were no nails to set.

We kept our Porter Cable Siding Sander because it was necessary to smooth out the results of the Shaver. However, that goes quickly, even compared to the impressive speed of the Shaver, since the paint is already gone.

The best upgrade I could recommend for this tool is to run it through a Oneida Dust Deputy Cyclone. You can run the unit all day long without clogging your vacuum filters.

We were so impressed with this unit we bought a second when we had a whole house project to tackle.

6. ticktock says:

Silent Paint Remover will Blow the shaver away in price, speed, cleanup, and finish on the first day. I don’t care what kind or how thick the paint is, it’ll be gone with one pass of the scraper. Just remember the heat tubes are breakable and they are about 30 bucks to replace. Have a few replacements on hand just in case.

7. Nelson R. Pardee says:

Here’s a comparison using several trials; appears to have been done by Purdue.

8. Barbara says:

I have tried both the Paint Shaver and the Metabo L724S. I bought the Metabo tool first, since it was less expensive and got great reviews. I used it once – the problem is that you while you can adjust the head up and down for grinding depth, you cannot adjust it side to side so that you can properly remove paint from the underside of clapboards. There are blades on the edge, but you can’t adjust their cutting depth at all. I was really frustrated. So — I bought the Paint Shaver, which you *can* adjust and I’m using it right now. It’s doing a terrific job. I spent 600.00, plus its twin sander (which I wish I hadn’t bought because I don’t really need it).

9. Barbara says:

Nelson, the document you reference is really informative. Too bad they could not spell “scrape” and “scraper” and “scraping.”

10. Ted Baxter says:

Hey – great PDF from the spelling-challenged Purdue technicians. I’d like to know how the paint shaver works in close areas and corners though. I can’t believe larger manufactures like Porter Cable or Milwaukee haven’t begun producing a knock off. $700 for this hand-held planner is outrageous highway robbery. Not to mentioned you have the additional expense of probably upgrading your vac and buying more hose. I’m writing all the major US manufactures and requesting they get to work developing a unit that’s properly priced. This thing is absolutely the future of paint removal.

11. Ted Baxter says:

I’m going to include the chinese company Tool Shop in my correspondence too. Even though they make absolute junk – tools are engineered to last about 25 hours of light use – they could produce a knockoff for $150 – heck you couldn’t rent a paint shaver and complete a job for less than that.