hot-or-not4.jpg
post-dewaltflipsaw.jpg

Based on a reader tip — thanks, Kelley! — we ran across this interesting combination miter/table saw online.  In the pictured mode, it’s a standard miter saw.  But by flipping the top over, you can turn it into a small contractor’s table saw as well.  The legs fold up to allow you to roll it like a wheelbarrow as well.

The bad news is that right now DeWalt only offers these in Europe.  I found one via Google Products retailing for around $1,600 after currency conversion, but I’m not sure that’s a fair comparison to what it’d cost if it were intended for sale in the U.S.

So what do you think?  Is this a good idea or just a gimmick?  If it cost more like $600 or $700 — you know, around the price of a miter saw and a contractor table saw — would you be interested?  Let us know in comments.

305mm Combination Saw [DeWalt Europe]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

13 Responses to Hot or Not? DeWalt’s Europe-Only Combo Miter/Table Saw

1. Mark says:

My uncle (in Germany) has something like this. It works fine. The tables saw part is pretty much like a table-top table saw. It all depends on what you want to do. Build furniture … probably only rough stuff. At the same time, my uncle’s saw is much older than the Dewalt. From the picture, the part above the legs looks pretty stable, especially the miter-saw part. For on-site work, it looks pretty good to me.

2. PutnamEco says:

I would say the concept is hot. I like the Makita lf1000 version though.

although if I was putting my money down it would probly go to the Makita lh1040,
    Through the top combo table saw/mitre saw

3. Kelley says:

Hot! I think you need to roll in the price of a miter saw stand too. Pretty clever stuff – there must be some US consumer safety standard that this tool doesn’t meet, since its not offered here. (Yet?)

I’d love to have just one tool taking up space in the garage rather than two, plus the stand.

4. Dean in Des Moines says:

Sixteen HUNdred D O L L A R S??? Heck I can get a table saw that won’t cut my hot dogs for that kind of money.

5. l_bilyk says:

This makes sense in europe where 1. space is at a premium
    2. tools are much more expensive

The triton workcenters are so popular there for the same reason

6. Kelley says:

That same site lists a DW716 miter saw for $998! Over here it sells for $399. Prices on a lot of things are nutso in Europe. If you do a little math, the price here would be more like $650 – a more than the price of a DW716 and one of Dewalt’s saw stands.

7. Brau says:

The price is too high but the form factor is something that would have caught my eye in my last house (small) where a dual purpose collapsible miter/tablesaw would have been very welcome.

8. Eric M. says:

Not…right now!! Safety regulations keep this saw out of the USA but it will not be long before someone figures out a way around it and this product along with all the other brands will be HOT.

Plus, i’m guessing it’s going to cost a tad bit more than $650. Esp. when you consider the Hitachi 12″ Sliding Compound Miter ranges from $649-$699.

It will get here but it may take a little bit. By then the price of this combo table may be down below the cost of a Dewalt 36V combo kit.

9. Joe N. says:

Hi,

This sort of saw come as no stranger to fans of Elu (now Dewalt) tools. In scanning Ebay UK & Ebay Germany, these types of convertable saws are not uncommon, in fact, I saw one not too long ago wired somehow for 110 volts. One way its a chop saw, the other a table saw. They have sexy folding legs, and look like they weigh a ton, metric or otherwise ;-)

Speaking of cool tools that never make it to the States, I am a huge fan of Festool products. It is interesting to go to Festool UK & Germany and see some of the peculiar tools that are sold across the pond. Of these, Festool makes a table that accepts a variety of implements, such as a saw, a router and other power tools. To change tools, one drops the selected power unit in, and keeps on truckin’. I believe the table saw is the sort of animal that the wood stays stationary, and one pulls a lever to draw the saw blade closer to the miter guide. The genre of saw escapes me right now, not a swing-saw, but something like that.

Leave it up to us Americans to design single purpose tools, and bars that serve over 100 different beers.

Cheers!

10. Dr. A says:

I am a great fan of these saws – I have used an older type under the brand name Elu. looking to buy one I was suprised not to see a single one on ebay.com so I thought this must be a US regulation thing. Lucky I live in Europe and I wish you guys overseas will sometime get these fantastic things. based on the price here $1300 is way overestimated – i would guess in US the $600 price range would be about right.

11. HR Company says:

i wound buy this for $1600.00 US dollars. i have the dewalts table and miter saw and i love them.

12. Tyler Curtis says:

I have been using this exact tool for the past few days in Sweden. It is amazing. I would gladly pay the money for this if it was sold at home in Canada.
    It is not heavy and can be easily moved.