post-dremelset.jpg

Long time TM reader Stuey writes: “For this very decent price you get get a Dremel 400, a case, a few accessories, a circle/parallal cutter, and a lawnmower blade sharpener.  Note: This kit does not appear to include a flex-shaft attachment.  If you want the flex-shaft, it’ll cost you another $30 or so.  Remember to add the coupon code ‘SAVEXTRA’ at checkout to get 20% off, landing the final price at $47 and change.  Also, I strongly disagree with the bad reviews of this tool on Amazon.  This exact tool has served me well for over a year now.  But if you buy the tool are are unhappy with it, Amazon has a pretty lenient return policy.”

Via Amazon [What's this?]

14 Responses to Dealmonger: A Dremel 400 Set For $47

1. I use to own this exact kit with just about ever attachment you can think of, I loved it right up until the Dremel caught fire in my hands. I still have all the accessories and bits, but just haven’t gotten around to getting an new Dremel.

2. Fong says:

I bought one for work and one for my shop. The one in my shop has lasted me over a year and works great. The one at work sparked and caught fire after a fewe months, much as Stephen’s probably did. Seems it’s a quality control issue.

3. l_bilyk says:

Truth be told, i’m not a fan. The older, US-made dremel was better.

4. Jared says:

I just bought the 55-piece, 4 attachment Dremel 400 kit from Lowes last week for $89. Normally I’d be ticked to read about the above deal, but check it out: Lowes’ current inventory of this item comes with the flex shaft attachment and the Dremel engraving tool as a bonus! Check the shelf inventory carefully; one store had only a 3 attachment package for the same price. There’s a yellow blurb on my box that states the engraver is included.

5. Justin says:

I wonder if there is a good comparison somewhere of all the Dremel like tools. Including differences between the different dremel models. I have a cordless dremel but find it to be a bit gutless and I am going to buy a corded model, but want to get a good one.

anything that catches fire is not a good tool in my book.

6. Stuey says:

Worst case scenario, if you’re concerned about the quality of a 400 series Dremel, go for a 300 series. There are a few differences between tools which may or may not matter to you.

The 400 (XPR) accepts a few of the newer attachments such as the planar, mini-saw, and jigsaw attachments.

The 400 has an on/off switch and speed control whereas the 395 only has soeed control with 0 being the “off” position.

The 400 has a different body shape and grip.

Umm, uh, er… that’s it? Yea, that looks like it. My XPR has served me well and never caught fire, but if I read the reviews and heard about spark fires, I probably wouldn’t have bought it.

7. Stuey says:

The Craftsman dremel clone looks identical aside from color scheme – is it possible that Bosch manufactures these tools for Sears?

The B&D was featured in a Hot or Not recently and from what I read, it wasn’t favored by too many TMers.

Aside from these 3 brands, there are numerous imports available at HF and Amazon (GMC branded) that can be found in the $20 range or less. It would be pretty interesting to see a head to head comparison, but given the performance of the B&D model, I don’t think the cheap no-name imports pose any threat to the Dremel.

As for Dremel cordless units, I keep reading about their underperforming lack of muscle. Perhaps Bosch will release a better one in the future since they’re now producing more and more Li-Ion tools. I’ve heard good things about the gun-grip Dremel, although its performance target is for fine detail work.

8. The AA-powered cordless units previously featured on TM are decent: http://toolmonger.com/2007/01/09/reader-find-dremels-alkaline-powered-minimite/

The power available depends on the batteries you put in ‘em, so a set of gonzo high-drain NiMH cells will blow the doors off the alkalines they’re designed for, or the ancient, anemic NiCd packs that the rechargeable Cordless MiniMite comes with.

If you’re really nuts, pick up some 1/2AA cells from http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?sid=576611&pgid=loosecells and turn that 2.4/4.8-volt tool into a 4.8/9.6-volt monster. Since those cells are made for high-drain R/C applications, the voltage sag under load shouldn’t be too severe. Y’know, I’m sorta tempted to try this now…

The Lithium-ion tools are promising, but is an ounce of weight worth $50? I’ll wait ’til the designs mature a bit and the prices come down. Seriously though, this would be a perfect place for that little 3x 18650 pack the Bosch pocket tools use.

9. I would suggest finding the 5-35k RPM ‘Variable-Speed MultiPro Rotary Tool’ tool from Dremel.

It is a slight revision of the older model and thus it will not work with some of the 400-series attachments such as the planer, but it ‘feels’ like a much better tool and seems to carry a much better reputation. I have a MultiPro and I have never had any problem with it, runs perfectly and does anything you expect form a Dremel/Rotary tool.

10. Steve Baker says:

I bought a Dremel once ( the cordless version 10.8v ) it didn’t catch fire but not far from it as it started to smoke and i mean seriously ! so that kind of got thrown away, sounds like Dremel have a build quality problem or a bad Q/A at there end !

11. chris says:

My 400 XPR caught fire in my hands yesterday! I’m on here looking for a quality control number to call. Somehow, and luckily, I didn’t receive any burns to my hands!

12. toolguy says:

I used mine once a while ago, just decided to use it again and the darn thing sparked and started smoking. I was using it for no more than two minutes…
    This is bad for Dremel, there should be a recall, it’s not a joking matter..
    I’m done with Dremel for good, after this!!
    “Dremel 400 XPR”

13. Indybikeman says:

I had my Dremel 400 XPS catch fire in my hands tonight when it was running at half speed and not under load. On autopsy, here is what I can see is happening: the bridge rectifier on the board that changes the AC to DC failed which then caused the in-line thermal fuse to blow. The components used on the contol boards are defective. When the bridge rectifier fails, it sends AC into the windings and you get a spectacular amount of acrid smoke and the tool will never function again. This tool had less than 10 minutes of time on it over the 3 years I have owned it. Time for a recall, Dremel!

14. larry perry says:

I bought a dremal 400xpr to upgrade (or so I thought)from old 395 multi pro which always worked flawlessly. has there been any re calls for this piece of junk? I used to love dremel but I don’t know after this definitly a let down.I dont if it is worth mentioning but when I first noticed the declining performance I checkand cleaned the brushes and comm upon cleaning the comm found its discolered like a high level of resistance there. Also noticed a crack in the the epoxy they used to secure the windings.So aside from these problems the overheating problem and the rectifier problems is there any hope for a poor sap that owns one?