After a short break, we’re back with more weekly one-beer-easy projects.  So grab a bottle (or can) of your favorite brew and learn how to remove those ugly emblems from your truck.  Start with the ones the dealer adds.  They’re not paying you for advertising, right?  We’ll talk you through the whole process.  (Podcast Download)

12 Responses to One Beer Projects: De-Badging Your Truck

1. Jim says:

Nice little addition here. Those dealer badges have always been a pet peeve of mine. When I bought my Mustang back in ’95 (rest it’s twisted metal soul) I made the dealer put in the contract that they would NOT add a dealer badge. They of course promptly ignored that and added it anyway, I refused delivery. After a fair bit of griping they not only removed it but (realizing I was serious about holding them to the contract and walking otherwise ) threw in a spare set of floor mats and a few free oil changes/car washes. Maybe not the best score in the world, but amusing.

2. Tom says:

dental floss also works well. You can use it to knife though the glue.

3. Cochese says:

Awesome. With the 4th of July 5 day weekend coming up, I’ve been looking for something–ANYTHING–to do. This will fit the bill nicely. I’ve always hated the “Z71″ logos on my 2000 Sierra, but I didn’t think there was anything I could do about it. Thanks for the info.

4. Rick says:

5 day weekend?

Aren’t we lucky now. I just have off on the 4th :-(

5. Blind says:

My understanding on the dealer specific badges is that by law they are required to remove them if you request since you aren’t required to be free advertising for them. So I just always tell them to remove them before I leave the lot.

6. Tracy Allen says:

The Smart Eraser available at http://www.denlorstools.com/ is great for removing badges and pinstripes. It works very similar to a pencil eraser, hence the name.

7. Michael Dany says:

Another method that worked well for me was to use monofilament fishing line. Just use a short piece between your hand and slide it under the badge. It will slice through the glue and foam backer. Then use your scraper and some GooGone to clean it up. Work great, no heat, no burns!

8. Brad Justinen says:

I always thought dealer badges were ridiculous.

I grew up in the midwest and saw these things all over the place. Pretty much standard in Denver, Kansas City, Montana. At least back in the day. I live in Seattle now and it is unheard of here.

If i purchased a brand new car with a dealer badge I would absolutely lose it. Not only are they trying to get free advertising, but the things are extremely ugly, tacky, and poorly designed. I would refuse the vehicle just like Jim.

9. unclewill says:

The safe way to remove adhesive backed badges without paint damage is to use a solvent to release the glue while pulling on the badge with your fingernail or some type of tool. The solvent will take some time to soak in so give it time to work. SOLVENT: WD-40; Mineral Spirits; Lighter Fluid. The solvent will dry on the glue patch that frequently remains on the badge so you can reattach the badge wen you sell the vehicle. Put waxed paper on the adhesive strip to keep it ready to re-apply.

10. John S. says:

I was wondering about this – do you have any suggestions? I’ve done some research but haven’t been getting very far. Looking for some guidance I guess…

11. Jon P. says:

If they are old emblems after pulling them you will notice there will be an outline of it due to the fading of the paint around it. The best way to fix this is with some common rubbing compound. Worked perfectly on my Cadillac.

12. Mike says:

Pics. We need video. A picture and video are still worth a thousand or more words.