hot-or-not6.jpg
post-2wheelbarrow.jpg

TM reader Colin writes: “I was talking with a couple of friends this weekend about the differences between one-wheel vs. two-wheel wheelbarrows, but I’d really like to hear what Toolmongers think.  Are the two-wheel kind hot?”

We’re gonna pass this on to you, because (cheap bastards that we are) we’ve never used a two-wheel model.  In fact, we’ve never used a new wheelbarrow, either.

So you’ll have to help us out.  Do the two-wheel models carry more?  Do they make fewer ruts in soft soil?  Do they, as we say, rock?   Let us know in comments.

Two-Wheel Wheelbarrows [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What's this?]

35 Responses to Hot or Not? Two Wheel Wheelbarrows

1. olderty says:

Hotter than hot.

Ever load a single wheeled ‘barrow with too much dirt then hit a hole or soft ground? That’s where expletives come from. Having to refill it with the same dirt sucks.

2 wheels = 2x the stability

2. Kyle says:

I’ve been using an easyroller for a few years, and love it. Why? Because my wife can use it ;)

True, its not a true wheelbarrow, but it is surprisingly versatile.

3. psylux says:

Mega burning hot.

spreads the load out. I can fill it with bricks and while the tires get low I can actually still push it around. The days of 1 wheel wheelbarrows are ending

2 wheels = 2x the weight

4. McAngryPants says:

Hottie hot hot hot.
    Just 2 weeks ago replaced my old wheelbarrow with the 2 wheeled flavor. Heavy loads can be easily pulled as well as pushed.

5. Leslie says:

I’ve been wanting something like this for a while, ever since I tried one at a friends’ house. They are most certainly hot. I keep telling myself that I’ll get one when my ancient workhorse wheelbarrow finally rusts through, but my darn partner keeps putting it away in the shed instead of letting it sit outside in the rain! ;)

6. PLC_Doctor says:

Well I guess I should bring up the negatives.
    1. It doesn’t turn like a regular wheelbarrow. After too many years of hauling just about everything it takes some getting used to turning without leaning.
    2. The axle on mine (it’s a Stanley) was too far forward for my height, it was causing the nose to dig into uneven surfaces.

On the positive side it is a very stable wheelbarrow for someone who never had to use one for a living and the plastic tub won’t ever rust (although we’ll have to wait and see about UV damage).

So, HOT for the casual user, MILD for the serious wheelies.

7. Paul Sparks says:

Bought one a couple of months ago and should have done it years ago. I’m 57 yrs old and its all this old man needs.HOT !!

8. Jason Peacock says:

HOT! As another commenter says, if you’re tall then sometimes the nose digs into the ground/other objects..you end up learning to keep and eye out and dropping the handles lower to pop over sharp bumps.

But otherwise, it’s awesome – no more unbalanced loads, just fill it up & go!

9. Fred says:

Hot. This would seem a good tool for the more casual user. Sort of a wheel barrow with training wheels.

10. Waylan says:

I’ve never used one so I can’t say. But, many years ago, when my father was young, he had acquired a couple rims and tires for a DIY moped that never came to fruition. My grandfather re-purposed those 12-14 inch wide wheels and built a couple vary stable wheelbarrows. At least one is still pulling it’s weight (and more) after 35 or more years. Unfortunately, the tire refuses to remain sealed to the rim on one of them and replacements or tubes are imposable to find due to the odd shape and size. I’ll have to upload a picture to the photo pool next time I remember to take my camera to visit my parents.

11. John says:

I’ve had the exact wheelbarrow pictured above and it has worked out great. I would definitely recommend a two wheeler. I can only think of a couple rare cases where a one wheeler would be a better choice and the home user would almost never run into them. So I would vote HOT, particularly for home use.

12. Charles says:

Best thing about it is that you can move it around with one hand (that frees the other hand up for carrying a beverage.)

Worst thing about it is that you need a wider ramp to wheel a load into the the back of a truck.

13. Roscoe says:

I used to think these were dorky until I used one.

We now have two at work, and I’ll literally give away the old metal single wheelers they replaced to anyone that is in central Ohio.

The 2-wheelers are great for all day use as you don’t get tired and drop a load. I’ve cut the front nose-piece off of mine and moved the end piece back so that the barrow will tip all the way forward on the wheels without the nose hitting dirt. We’ve also had to reinforce ours with angle iron braces to replace the stamped metal after a couple of years. The flex in the plastic wears on the braces over time.

I really like the ease of use and extra capacity.

14. Don says:

NOT
    They are nice and stable for mixing mortar. They carry a lot of weight. They are also very difficult to manuver over rough terrain like a foundation site. There will always be a place for single-wheel styles. For flat yards though these are great.

15. RobinB says:

Never tried one, but I would guess Lukewarm.

As a landscaper there are so many things I can do with a one wheeler that I can’t imagine doing with that. I can see having one of each in the shed though.

16. sTOOLpid says:

I like the stability of the two-wheel but prefer the maneuverability of the single wheel. Stability has never been an issue because of my excessive mass and profound strength ;-)

Seems to me it wouldn’t be to hard to have both in one unit. But the two-wheel but if you need a single, pop the wheels off and stick one of them in between the rails just like the old days. Yeh, I know it might take some modification, but that’s what all those tools you have laying around are for……. and if you don’t have what you need, go BUY IT!

17. Southpaw says:

They suck if you have a sloped site. If you have to walk along a sloped incline instead of going up or down then the handles are at an angle and makes the thing completely unusable.

18. Jim says:

Hot. I have a one and a two-wheeler. The one wheeler is seldom used. Only when I need two wheelbarrows at the same time.

The typically two-wheeler has much more capacity than than even the largest traditional one-wheelers. So while all the nay-sayers are debating over slopes and maneuverability, blah, blah, blah. My work is done and I am drinkin’ a cold one. Watchin’ you make all those extra trips!

19. Brau says:

Hot! As a person with a bad back this is a must. I got the one that dumps itself so I don’t have to lift. Southpaw is right though, going sideways on a slope is not recommended with a two-wheeler.

20. Pax says:

Super hot. Got one 2 years ago and it gets tons of use. The landscapers in the area use nothing but. The masonry guys? Same deal for hauling stone. Very stable, large capacity, pretty cheap. Won’t rust.

21. PaulS. says:

The frame rails look just like the ones on a single wheel unit. Would it be possible, with a little work and another wheel/tire, to convert an existing single wheel wheelbarrow to a double wheel one?

22. Ivan says:

My 1 wheeler is been used tremendously. I overload that thing with 200 pound and it’s still maneuverable, though it’s harder to balance. However, while I can see the 2 wheeler being easier to haul, I just can’t imagine it being easier to zip around corners. It seems also to be taking up more space in my little work shed. For now I do keep my 1 wheeler.

23. William says:

I was thinking the same think as PaulS, converting my 1 wheel to 2 wheels. I need a new wheel anyway because the current one won’t hold air. I just need to find a longer axle.

24. nrChris says:

Paul S. and William,

Harbor Freight sells a set of wheels that you could adapt to make your one wheeler into a dualie. Sears will go you one better–they sell a two wheel kit that includes everything you’d need.

25. Aaron says:

Not hot!!! I do construction for a living and two wheels compromises your maneuverability way too much. Besides, you can only push so much, so why have such a huge tub? No, give me a 6 cu. ft. metal tub single wheel any day.

26. [...] Two Wheel Wheelbarrows: Hot. Readers say the second wheel adds stability and load-carrying capacity, though two-wheelers don’t turn as tight. [...]

27. Not so hot on areas with steep, uneven terrain. The double wheel design prevents you from maintaining the load at level when there is an incline to the left or the right. I have to work on a hilly rural property and the two wheel has given me nothing but trouble.

28. Double Duty says:

TO all that have used the single and double wheelbarrow, the debate is no longer needed. I have a new wheelbarrow that i am trying to intoduce into the market that allows you to have a single or a doulble wheel set up in only 20 seconds. All parts remain on the wheelbarrow so nothing gets lost.
    I have developed and patented a very unique axle design that within 20 seconds you can go back and forth from a single tire to a double tire set up and back. I have put about 50 units out on consignment and sold every unit within a few days. If you are interested please leave me your info on this site
    Double Duty

• MARILYN says:

I am interested Double Duty’s wheelbarrows that easily convert from 1 to 2 wheels. Please send me more information. Thanks,
      Marilyn

• Mike says:

I’m looking for a more stable wheelbarrow for moving a truckload of dirt. Send me more info. on your “Double Duty”!!!

Thanks,
      Mike

• Dan Neyland says:

I have been on the fence about single versus dual wheel. If you have a product that converts from single to double wheel, I am interested. Please contact me and let me know the details.

• bruce coppersmith says:

please send particulars on your convertable wheel assembly sounds like a winner b. coppersmith

29. GEORGE C says:

I USED TO BATTLE WHEELBARROW TIRES THAT DON’T HOLD AIR MAKING REPAIRS, FILLING WITH SLIME, ETC. NO MORE! I DISCOVERED SOLID TIRES AND REPLACED THE PNEUMATICS. HANDLING IS JUST AS GOOD AND NO MORE FLATS. HARBOR FREIGHT HAS THESE TIRES ALREADY MOUNTED ON WHEELS IN SEVERAL SIZES TO FIT CARTS AND WHEELBARROWS.

30. Brownie says:

I have a two wheeled wheelbarrow and agree it is very stable and can move larger loads. I am older and found it was a little to much to push very far.

I have alot of dirt to move into a space to small for a truck so the wheelbarrow is about the only way.

I am looking for a HITCH that would allow me to use my lawn tractor or ATV to pull my two wheel barrow and allow easy manuverability and still allow dumping of the load.

Does anyone make a wheelbarrow HITCH?

31. Pappy says:

I’m 70 now and no longer as strong or as stable on my feet as I once was. I’ve been wanting to convert my old wheelbarrow to two wheels for twenty five years so it would be easier to use but I didn’t want to spend too much doing it. So I finally went down to the local hardware store and bought a 5/8″ x 36″ steel rod for $9 and four 5/8 washers for spacers. I cut the rod down to 22″, and drilled a 1/16th hole in each end for cotter pins to use as an axel that fit the original wheelbarrow frame. I had trouble finding a steel wheel and tube type tire that matched the size of my old single one so I ended up trading it off at a local lawn mower repair shop for two new steel wheels and tubed tires for $20 difference. Total cost of conversion was under $30 and this project was well worth it. Should of done it years ago.